Question about sinking a enemy ship

• Yesterday I was in a situation where I killed a whole crew of three on a brigantine who just did a fort and had parked next to a outpost. They had a lot of loot so I wanted to sink it there and then sell everyting to that outpost, but I had no kegs no firebombs and my ship was far. I put a fruit on there stove, but they respawned and saw it. Was there anything I could have done to sink it right there without having to smash it into a rock.

Edit: thank you for all the answers!

Views
    questionwindows 10
  • @mrmushroo fire, but it takes a bit...without a keg, fire, cannons nearby or your ship you can just ram it into the island it parks at right now...

• @schwammlgott I didn't even thing about ramming it into the outpost. Thank you for your answer.

• If you throw a fire bomb at the front and back end of the bottom deck of a brig, it’ll eventually make enough holes for it to sink relatively quickly.

• @mrmushroo I'd have set fire and then made sure my cannons put plenty of large holes in it.

By the time they respawn it is going to be difficult to keep up with the fire, constant barrage of cannonballs and new fire I would pelt at them.

• You could bucket water onto their ship until it sinks. Note that ocean water will fill a ship much faster than water from the on-board water barrel

• Just use the harpoon to cause hull damage by pulling the ship over sandbanks or nearby rocks.

• I haven't seen it mention yet, but always make use of their supplies if you can.

While you may not have any fire, that doesn't mean they don't. Obviously, it goes case by case. Check their barrels for fire to increase burning, but realize that fire takes a lot of time to actually be destructive to the boat. Your best case is to monopolize their food barrel to deny their ability to fight while on fire.

Also, sometimes crews will carry kegs. Make it a habit to check their crows-nest. If you are able to acquire a keg, don't just drop it immediately for a quick boom. If their is multiple, by all means drop one to add to a later chain. However, ensure to place the primary explosive in the furthest position. For a galleon this means the bottom deck towards the front. This makes players travel the furthest to plug said holes.

If it wasn't an outpost, make use of the terrain. Forts are usually great to plop holes.

Don't expect most of these to work, it usually takes quite an oblivious team to solo one up a large group. However, its low risk on your end, so have it.

• I wouldn't have worried about sinking it in that situation

I would have just dropped the best of the loot and sent the ship sailing away

fort loot I'm looking to make the most for the least amount of shuffle so I'm going for bone dusts, stronghold skulls, red gems, grog chest/stronghold chest,open ashen chest stuff around that price range

no real reason to risk losing out on it all over some mid to low end loot especially for most people that aren't gonna be capable of holding down a brig with camping long enough to slowly sink it

• Use their harpoons to drag the ship to the various factions and toss stuff off. Firebomb. Profit?

Views
questionwindows 10
1 out of 10