Just completed the only FoF I'll be doing

• Well, after four and a half hours of fighting off other ships and dealing with the PvE threats, my crew finally finished FoF.

Hid the key for a bit and waited for the coast to be clear. Naturally, the moment we opened the vault, 3 alliance galleons rolled up on our sloop.

I'm glad to have gotten what season renown I got for it, but I won't be spending another 4 and a half hours only to lose everything again.

Au revoir, FoF, you were an okay one-time event that I won't be doing again.

/rant

Views
    generalevents
  • @karmicxkoala1 4 and a half hours is a long old time, so I can't blame you for feeling deflated by it.

However, I really miss those early days where forts were constantly being contested, and going to one almost always meant you were in for a long fight.

This is just what the game needed in my opinion. A reason for crews to come together and compete again!

• I'm done after the commendation. Not because I have any issue with the fort but because I'm efficient and that's not an efficient event for a solo/open crew player like myself

Having done it I can see some of those lasting so long between the pvp and the people not putting consistent damage on the bosses and that activity won't be going away since it's athena related.

• Yah, this was my feedback in insiders exactly.

The FoF is just too massive a fight, and has way too many pieces of loot, which means lots of shuttling back to your ship.

In practice, what this means is that there is huge window of opportunity for attacking ships, both in terms of server hoppers or just ships who can wear you down on supplies / time. This means that the FoF will become a winner take all scenario in 90% of cases in non-alliance servers. That sounds good on paper (heart racing action, etc), but it actually means the FoF becomes a predictable slogfest toward the end, meaning less people will want to partake. Case in point, OP is already sick of it. I am sick of FoTD for the same reason, it is becomes a predictable waste of time for many people.

My stats on FoTD, 50% of forts are contested, 30% of forts have a tucker part way through, 80% I walk away with all the loot, 10% I end up making off only with some of the loot, 10% I walk away with nothing as the initiating ship. I'd rather the numbers be a bit more skewed toward multiple ships splitting the effort and loot (even if they are fighting over all of it), rather than feeling the need to tuck or attack at the very end.

What they should have done was made the FoF vault a three parter, in that it rewards some big ticket items 3 different times during the event. Maybe a brand new 50 - 100K item after the first waves with a lever that activates the next wave, another 50 - 100K item after the helmsman, scoundrel, dutchess are defeated, and then finally the end loot.

What this would have allowed is crews to "stop while they are ahead", get in some value for their time, and then return later if they wish & think they have a shot of claiming the rest of the fort. By then, another ship could have pulled up, but hey, they now have a fair shot at getting one of those 50-100K items and will have to work for it. Crews could also choose to risk the loot and keep fighting, again helping the fight feel more dynamic, and opening up more ways to play.

The FoF would become a more king of the hill type event where ships feel like they can leave it, turn in, then come back. Instead what we are going to have is crews who "wait until the end" to attack, creating another winner take all event that leaves people feeling deflated, and the victors feeling like that was "too easy."

The same is true if nobody attacks. That crew might be thankful, but they probably were expecting some combat, maybe even hoping for a little, but it just wasn't interesting to anyone. It should be a contested event, don't get me wrong, but I actually want more opportunities for ships to want to attack / turn in, not just a "single" best time at the end.

Make attacking ships feel like they should attack early so they can get that extra loot during the event, and the fort would work better. The skulls and gold pouches it rewards during just don't cut it and still take a long time to shuttle to the boat.

• @karmicxkoala1 said in Just completed the only FoF I'll be doing:

Hid the key for a bit and waited for the coast to be clear. Naturally, the moment we opened the vault, 3 alliance galleons rolled up on our sloop.

Lol that's actually pretty funny.

Views
generalevents
4 out of 5