Considering returning...

• Greetings.
    It's been a long while; I was here at launch and played a bit, but due to ...things, I haven't played in a long time except for one or two 'visits to the sea.'
    I've thought about coming back but I have two major reservations: the hostile PvP aspect--I for one just want to be able to voyage without worrying about being attacked. I know now there's a separate mode for pvp-ing, but I also know pvp still happens in the normal adventure mode. Yes, I realize it's a pirate game in both name and nature.
    The 2nd point, and kind of related to the first, is I don't like playing alone, and I don't really have any friends who play the game. I played once or twice with a couple on here at launch (names not provided for privacy concerns), but trying to reconnect with them would be ...awkward (as if they remembered who I was :D ).
    Anyway, I guess I'm just asking what the general environment is in the game these days. As mentioned, I've seen a lot of 'PvP,' but this is mainly from Youtube videos, and I know this is always going to have a certain lens on it.

Views
  • From how I play (Xbox only lobbies)
    I can complete 4 tall tales solo and not encounter players.

From the videos and Posts, it mainly new players or straight up back luck. (or..Pc lobbies) Frankly I never have encountered grief or toxic players "Yet" and for my own wares, If I do....Oh well?
    It is indeed a pirate game and will in time come across those who are simply...playing.

Tall Tales have a checkpoint system. if you happen to sink or lose an item before finishing, you can start from a checkpoint on a new server if you like.

I am a solo player (dislike but hey I do it with style) and you may come across bad pirates or not. Depends on you and how you react. Dont sweat it, and many might even add, use the Looking for Group Discord or even here on the forums.

• @void-presence You will always have pvp in this game but PC server are super toxic compared to xbox only servers, so if you can just play xbox and do a looking for group post to find other players to play with

• Do open crew brig and hop around till you find people looking for a third that are productive in their gameplay

or start a closed crew brig and start whatever you want to do and open up the crew to bring people in

Personally I like open crew brigs more than looking for a group situation. It's both more chaotic but also more chill. You spawn in all kinds of fun and funny stuff and if you're a people pirate you can make plenty of friends over time with random people

Are you gonna run into a lot of hostility and unpleasantness? yup but just like everything else in life there are really great people that play this game

Just because I'm personally not into looking for a group don't let it stop you from trying that too it might be for you. It's more organized there is less trolling generally. It's a little more structured though and people take it more seriously tho for better or worse depending on your personality

Come on back in. It's just a game if you get sunk you get sunk it ain't no thang. If people say mean or gross things to you just leave and start a new game it's session based so once you leave game the drama is over and a whole new adventure awaits

There are also a bunch of discords and stuff people use to meet up with people those are also gonna be much more structured and have more rules so that also depends if it fits with your personality type as well

Give it a few weeks of play over the holidays. You'll have some fun

• Come back! They removed Hostile PVP. No one will even bother you.

• @void-presence There are some enhancements, like the tall-tale checkpoints so you don't need to start over from scratch if interrupted. Its probably an 50-50 mix of people that will seek you out to kill you regardless of what flags you're flying or if you have any loot vs those who you can see but they don't chase you. The overall play content is similar (added fishing and new boss events and treasure seeking options like Vaults). The most troubling for me is that even for those players who are happy to keep to themselves will not join/make an alliance. This makes no sense to me as there is 0 down side to joining an alliance but operating independently. In the past peoples willingness to make alliances seemed much higher. I guess since they never see streamers do it (or if they do, they actively try to hide that they are in an alliance by never showing their maps since they get ridiculed when they are) so new players just may not understand the benefit. In the rare event now I do get in an alliance they think it means we need to sail side by side and work on the same quest. There is just too much risk to operate in this fashion unless you've built up some trust when crossing paths over a couple hours.
    I'd be willing to add you as a friend and do some quests together!!

• @glannigan said in Considering returning...:

Come back! They removed Hostile PVP. No one will even bother you.

I know that's not true; there's still PvP

• it is a pvp game, there is pvp live with it

• @cpt-simon-53 said in Considering returning...:

it is a pvp game, there is pvp live with it

It's a game with PVP. As there are other things to do, such as a thriving PVE story, it's not just a PVP game. But yes, one has to accept the existence of PVP in order to play.

That being said Void I often play and don't deal with any PVP crews. It's a lot of fun, and the occasion to shoot other players isn't always bad.

Views
8 out of 9