[Mega Thread] Cargo Runs

• alt text
    Cargo Runs reach Sea of Thieves this week as part of the currently live content update, Forsaken Shores. They'll bestow some variety on your path to Pirate Legend status by offering new ways to rise through the ranks of the Merchant Alliance, one of the game's dominant Trading Companies.

You kick off a Cargo Run by picking up a Merchant Alliance contract, taking it back to your ship and voting on it as usual. This will inform you who's waiting for you with the cargo at an Outpost or one of the newly established Seaposts. Head over there and accept the cargo, read the note attached and that'll tell you where it needs to go!

Looking For Crew?

We've got a bunch of places you can visit to seek out like-minded pirates, so sail on over to these official Sea of Thieves hangouts:

As you participate in this thread -

Keep to the Pirate Code
    As a reminder, the Pirate Code is more than just guidelines (though the reference really never gets old), but the rules of the community and game that we expect all members to abide by when participating on the forums. Any member who fails to abide by the code may find themselves put in the brig, or removed from the community.

We also have Forum Rules, which we moderate to.

Views
  • @katttruewalker yes katt I know cargo runs are live

• Can't wait to try these out after work. Very interested to see how the ~350 gold value plays out. My initial thought is that it is not high enough but I know the devs mentioned you can do multiple at once.

Will have to play and see how balanced it feels.

• @closinghare208 Well now, if ye'd like to share any feedback around yer experience then here's the place to post it!

• @katttruewalker 'aven't played the new update yet

• I started 6 different games and didn't get a single cargo run available.

• @lonegoatknifer

Are you going to the Merchant Trader at the Outpost?

• @lonegoatknifer you have to go to the devils outpost to get the cargo runs :)
    Edit: and merchant obviously ;)
    I did not find any other cargo run missions other than the dr ones :/

• @shikia-caeleaum but this isn't only in Devils Roar, is it?

• @schwammlgott look into my edit...i never found any other :/

• @shikia-caeleaum You shouldn't have to

• @lonegoatknifer well for me only the dr ones are there....all other merchant sell the normal ones....maybe that is intentional for the time being since the commendation only talk about dr cargo runs :/

• That's a little disappointing if cargo runs are only in the devil's roar.

• @shikia-caeleaum Well i finally got one at sanctuary so they are just stupidly uncommon.

• @jonaldinho Ahoy mate, they should be available to pick up from any Merchant Alliance Trader:)

• @lonegoatknifer ah i see! :D but tbh the devil ones are not too hard....and they go all around the map....had to do a cargo from the rough traders at the south all the way to sanctuary -.-

Edit: did you (rare I mean :P) increase the meg spawn btw? I played for 3 hours already and finally got my own meg as a follower :P seriously it is ridiculous XD

• Still not 100% sure what to think of cargo runs. On the one hand I am glad that there's finally something new. However, completing these voyages don't feel rewarding in the slightest. Completing them takes caution and time, and I am absolutely fine with that.
    But it's quite odd when selling golden chicken, which take almost no time to collect and don't require any precaution whatsoever, is still "worth more" in terms of exp and money. Doing cargo runs outside of the new area basically means that you're wasting time without earning anything (150-350 gold, really?).
    Fine, so you'd stick to doing cargo runs in the new area, which eventually doubles the reward. But still, a single golden chicken is usually worth more than a whole cargo run. Why?

And the handling of the new items is mostly awful. Go carry and plant, but make sure that you have a spotter with you or otherwise you're going to end up in another game or so. It's also almost impossible to carry bottles, which is mostly due to the fact that the game gives no feedback on how you can damage the bottles. Sure, drop 'em on the floor, no problem. But don't you dare sneezing when they are within touching distance.

btw., the german version is not finished because the "quest paper" will give information on time and date in English. But yeah, empty barrels are still "Leeren" in German, so a fix might take a month or so.

Look, I was really looking forward to cargo runs, but they don't feel rewarding. Why would I want to do something that is more complicated and less profitable than a OoS-quest?

• @l4chsfps The voyages aren't meant to be your main focus. You can get your crates for the cargo run and deliver them on the side while you do another voyage.

• i knew this thread would be people complaining about to less of everything, gold&xp ,instead of just how are they and how they change the world.
    people want 7000 per run appearantly wich is ridiculous. for chickens you like, have to h
    go catch them youknow.
    and you don't always get all golden chickens on your list, so lot of unfair comparrissons. and just wanting everything for free again.

my feedback is the following:
    i like them,it's fun, but i don't like npc's on all large islands, they should feel deserted. you are cluttering the world to much.

i think 7x350 =2450 is pretty reasonable for just loading and unloading cargo. never having to go real far. if you up it maybe at 3000 max like 400 per cargo, but let them degrade faster.

yup a lot of unfair feedback, you can easily keep doing them in a row they take like 15 min. max. i really dont see the problem. on that area that is.

wanna know the real problem?
    people were hoping for a lazy free ticket to pirate legend and loads of gold, and now they still have to actually put effort, it's never about fun or gameplay, just how can i shortcut to legend? i think it might be a generation issue. so here we are again back to the forum to demand your free stuff. embarassing to watch,sorry.

LOVE THEM THANKS RARE

• Thank you devs for the hard work. Its good to see Merchant Alliance get a little bit of love.

Heres my critique:

-Expand or Expell time limits on the cargo runs. (It would make more sense to do this because if I were to do another voyage that can take more time to do than I wouldn't want to miss my turn in time) I think the average is 5 days to do it.

-Increase the rewards. I think on average you can make 2800 gold (350x8) in the regular area and (700x8) in the roar area. I can make much more money with chickens in the same amount of time. The Roar area is far more difficult to do these because rowboats are brittle/unrepairable so I don't really see x2 rewards worth it.

-I think that the overall time to complete these is pretty balanced right now. I don't see a huge struggle to get to the npcs. So time wise, it is comparable to other voyages.

-Rum seems to break way too easily and for no apparent reason. Example, we were sailing. Rum was placed in prime condition. At the destination. All rum bottles had cracks. We didn't hit anything. No storms. Maybe this is a bug.

As I see it, the rewards or something needs to be changed. If I were carrying a load and I got sunk in PVP, I don't think I would be inclined to race to the destination point. Why? Because I don't think it would be worth the time to sail over, camp (hope that they might finish it), and battle over the island/outpost/npc just to get a max of 2800 gold...
    When we lose merchant stuff (Crates/chickens/barrels), we are inclined to just redo a new voyage rather than race to get our stuff back. The only time I would race to get my loot back is if I had 2-4 hours of accumulated loot from various voyages (chests/skulls etc.)

• It is nice to be able to post feedback in yet another mega thread about more issues with another update. When is the feedback in all these mega threads going to be finally listened to?

All the issues in three barrel 2.0 mega threads not addressed. All the issues in the Forsaken Shores mega thread not addressed. Here we go again with another update with issues that should not be there.

Just like all the feedback that the time spent in the Devil's Roar is not worth it, these new cargo runs are not worth the time spent on them. They short change pirates for the effort even if they are run beside other voyages. All the wait and hype for cargo run voyages that are just going to be dumped like tea in a harbor.

• @ant-heuser-kush yeah saw it now as well :) just the spawn rate for the normal cargo runs is very low :)

• @ant-heuser-kush you're welcome :D
    I dont know why but still XD

• @shikia-caeleaum I bought 2 normal Cargo Runs a minute before the shop refreshed, and i could immediately buy more - maybe i'm just lucky.

The Devil's Roar versions are the only ones worth the time though, just my opinion.

• @emanuel-wynnn agreed! i was pretty sad when i found out i got only 700 gold per perfect piece -.- and 100 gold when everythings going down per piece :/
    Yeah they say you can do voyages while doing cargos but only AFTER you collected the cargo and know where you are going.....
    as mentioned before i had to go to sanctuary outpost for a dr cargo run and tbh i got 5 min left before time ran out (I immediately sailed there without stop but mostly against the wind sadly) which is not time to stop for another voyage or even a wreck O_O

• just made 2500 in 10 MINUTES. SOLO. if you get good at these its a goldmine.
    that would be 15000 per hour if i kept on going.SOLO
    not sure why people are complaining its not a lot of effort , like not AT ALL.

and i'm having fun!
    little water compartment for my plants.
    rum by my side and cloth on the middle deck.

NAILED IT RARE!

• I don’t care about Gold if they are Fun, but the most Important thing! I heard they’re not counting for the Merchant-„Completed Voyage“ Commendation!? That’s not good! And are they giving Reputation?

• @king-deka i did not check the commendation sadly but they give some rep! :) not that much but they still give it :)

Edit: I cannot tell you exactly how much they give but I made 2 cargo runs with 13 cargos (cashed in 8 perfect and 3 completely broken and one in the middle) all dr ones and I got with lvl 37 merchant circa 10-15% rep (count one tea in as well i dont remember when i cashed that one in :P)

• @x-crowheart-x said in [Mega Thread] Cargo Runs:

It is nice to be able to post feedback in yet another mega thread about more issues with another update. When is the feedback in all these mega threads going to be finally listened to?

All the issues in three barrel 2.0 mega threads not addressed. All the issues in the Forsaken Shores mega thread not addressed. Here we go again with another update with issues that should not be there.

Just like all the feedback that the time spent in the Devil's Roar is not worth it, these new cargo runs are not worth the time spent on them. They short change pirates for the effort even if they are run beside other voyages. All the wait and hype for cargo run voyages that are just going to be dumped like tea in a harbor.

To be fair, the Forsaken Shores update has only been out for 2 weeks. They can't really fix it that quickly...

• Personally, I think the gold earned and the reputation given needs a buff. Reputation especially.

• @crimsontifical said in [Mega Thread] Cargo Runs:

Personally, I think the gold earned and the reputation given needs a buff. Reputation especially.

no please, you can easily do these in a row. no kiddy-mode.

@Rare i love how the random spawned goods have only a adress not a timer,clever!

• @daantjebnl There's no need to go back for loot, or even defend it if you're doing cargo runs and haven't gotten anything from your active voyage yet, I'm not saying a massive buff, but according to my crew the rep given is a tad underwhelming. Or maybe even more crates per run? ~7 for a master merchant isn't enough (I know you can stack them, but I have dreams of a true cargo vessel).

• they should be worth more

yes you can do them in conjunction with regular voyages BUT
    if you buy and do a cargo run from the merchant you cannot do anything else untill it the stuff has been picked up

there is a time limit to the deliveries, and you have to go back and forth up to 8 times before you have everything on board, then you have to do it again for delivery.....

get one ashen villainous skull and it is worth the same

me and my crew have already talked about this and have made the decision not to bother with them after the commendations are done...

if they work the same in athenas as they do regular and the chapter progresses after we merely picked the stuff up we are just going to drop in on the spot we are at and continue fighting skellys and digging up chests.

2 maps easily done that way without any hassle

please Rare, think about the monetary and Rep value for these runs they are severely underwhelming whis way, even though they have a fun aspect to them

• They'll bestow some variety on your path to Pirate Legend status by offering new ways to rise through the ranks of the Merchant Alliance, one of the game's dominant Trading Companies.

Really, two weeks of just tweaking the final polish to something that took six months in the making? Nothing else?
    No mention of tweaking volcano frequency to a playable level especially with fragile cargo now.

So still nothing for PLs. No life beyond Athena's. :/

Thanks for the update.
    Unfortunately I don't think it would be enough to coax my crew back to this game. :/

Views
1 out of 136