[Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4

• @lu-loop2 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@alaskagrown49 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

Personally, I am fine with Barrels 2.0, but the biggest complaint seems to be getting bananas on the run - what if they just had an option to pick up bananas without entering the barrel? I don't see any reason to you would have to pick up cannonballs or planks in a hurry.

You might want to steal them?

Is entering the UI and clicking "take all" really that much slower than clicking the button 5 or 10 times outside the barrel?

• @alaskagrown49 Yes, it is when you have people trying to kill you.

• @lu-loop2 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@alaskagrown49 Yes, it is when you have people trying to kill you.

I guess I don't see why you would be concerned with stealing cannonballs and planks in the middle of a fight - bananas I could see, though.

• @alaskagrown49 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@lu-loop2 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@alaskagrown49 Yes, it is when you have people trying to kill you.

I guess I don't see why you would be concerned with stealing cannonballs and planks in the middle of a fight - bananas I could see, though.

To that end though - they could just implement a "take from outside the barrel" option for the ship barrels since they only stock one type of supply each (would just have be regular cannonballs in ball barrels). Although, it sounds like they may have more food options planned in the future.

• @genuine-heather said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@trickrtreat01 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@marsmayflower said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

people keep saying this game is dead but here we are, still.

Dead maybe not, but it is dying.

No, it's really not. But you wouldn't know that since you don't actually play. Stop trolling the forums with your pathetic "poor me, they ruined my game" whining. Rare just released an amazing update, by any standards. If you refuse to even give it a try, you have no right to come here and trash the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's sick of your incessant moaning. Go find another game, already.

Its just as annoying to read people attacking the person and not the point. Maybe if you don't like his whining, you just ignore it or counter it with reasons why you disagree?

• @musicmee sagte in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@sgt-palooggoo You should now be able to reach Pirate Legend without ever buying a voyage!

@DrBullhammer did that before it was cool. 😉

• @trickrtreat01 we're all dying. enjoy life.

• @d3adst1ck said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@genuine-heather said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

No, it's really not. But you wouldn't know that since you don't actually play. Stop trolling the forums with your pathetic "poor me, they ruined my game" whining. Rare just released an amazing update, by any standards. If you refuse to even give it a try, you have no right to come here and trash the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's sick of your incessant moaning. Go find another game, already.

Its just as annoying to read people attacking the person and not the point. Maybe if you don't like his whining, you just ignore it or counter it with reasons why you disagree?

Fair enough. I disagree because it's a baseless, absurd exaggeration from a disgruntled former player who rage quit, uninstalled the game, demanded his money back, and now continues to troll the forum daily, trashing the game and the company behind it.

• @genuine-heather I don't know if its an absurd exaggeration. The last player count announcement was in August and they haven't tooted their own horn about it since. Games media doesn't really report on this game except for the obligatory DLC drop article, and most people just don't care about it (see how little traction this game gets on community forums not dedicated to it).

It suggests that player growth has slowed. Is it dieing? No way to tell for sure unless we get some data but that is probably not going to happen. I imagine player exodus will get worse over the next couple of months as people migrate to Red Dead Redemption 2, Call of Duty, Battlefield 5, Fallout 76, etc... The question is will it bounce back?

• I like this implementation of take / store all.

I wil have to get used to resources disappearing from the inventory though; mouse keep moving to the right :)

All that is needed now is a solution for the different UI of the crates.

• The new barrel inventory system is still a clunky mess. The menu still pops up over everything. The take all function can make it faster grabbing everything if that is what you want to do. However, the take all option does nothing to improve the loss of fluid gameplay when using the new menu system versus the old barrel system. Still no way to quick take particular items like before. Still now way to stay in game, grab exactly what you want, and move around like before.

The old barrel system still played the best. Hopefully, this new barrel menu system can be further tweaked and smoothed out. Still believed there is a way to achieve a happier blend of the old and the new.

• @genuine-heather said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@d3adst1ck said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@genuine-heather said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

Fair enough. I disagree because it's a baseless, absurd exaggeration from a disgruntled former player who rage quit, uninstalled the game, demanded his money back, and now continues to troll the forum daily, trashing the game and the company behind it.

I stuck around hoping Rare would fix the barrels and remove or greatly reduce the amount of CCB's. It's not just me. We have part 4 of Barrel UI mega thread for a reason.

If anyone makes absurd claims it's you, like when you essentially accused me of hacking.

• @dutchyankee said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

No matter your personal opinion of them, Barrels 2.0 is driving down the player-count. The fact is a lot of people hate them and don't play (or play a lot less) because of them. Whether you agree with these people or not doesn't matter. Rightly or wrongly, Barrels 2.0 is driving players away. And SoT needs every player it can get.

For some people Barrels 2.0 is a game-breaker. Others can live with it. Some like it. The goal of this thread is to improve the Barrels, not to belittle those who hold another opinion. I think that we should try to focus on positive discourse related to this subject.

Let's stay focused on how we can make Barrels better. That way, SoT wins. So everybody wins.

So true.
    Barrels 2.0 is a deal breaker for the people I know. We stopped playing. I'm still here literally begging Rare to fix this game. It's nothing like what it was at launch, and that would be fine if it was better, but it's not.

I paid my $60. I love the game. I spent as many or more hours playing than most. I think some of us deserve to be heard without being called a troll or whiner. The game is broken for us. Look around at the complaints. It's not just me.

• yeap so many things went wrong :(

• So it seems there are some issues:

1. You still leave one resource in the barrel at times even when you take all.
    2. Trying to store bananas in the banana barrel gets stuck and you are locked out of storing them. You have to close out the inventory UI and reopen the barrel to get it to work.
    3. Still no real way to organize/customize the cursed cannon balls on your person. Its a pain to store all then only take the cursed ball you want to load into a cannon.
  • So the new barrel functionality is an improvement. My biggest issue with this was the fact that input recognition was delayed once exiting the menu, and that seems to be fixed now.

Coming from a PC perspective, the take all is also a bit of an improvement, but it still suffers from one major issue. That is the mouse cursor not detecting the side of the screen I am hovering over. Sometimes it works better than others, but I think if I hover my mouse cursor over the left side of the screen, it needs to detect this and react accordingly. It's mostly an issue when attempting to store items, instead it'll just pull more in my inventory. If this were addressed, the flow of managing the UI would be much quicker and more intuitive, and I wouldn't have to take a mental step back to make sure everything is perfectly aligned and functioning the way I would expect it to in that moment.

I still think this UI is the most frustrating and cumbersome part of the game, and more significant improvements are possible (such as eliminating the need to access the UI to take items out of barrels, as many people have presented examples of). But some of these small tweaks being made are making a difference, and I hope that if all other feedback is ignored, we can at least eliminate the quirks that take the frustration to extreme levels.

• @trickrtreat01 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@dutchyankee said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

No matter your personal opinion of them, Barrels 2.0 is driving down the player-count. The fact is a lot of people hate them and don't play (or play a lot less) because of them. Whether you agree with these people or not doesn't matter. Rightly or wrongly, Barrels 2.0 is driving players away. And SoT needs every player it can get.

For some people Barrels 2.0 is a game-breaker. Others can live with it. Some like it. The goal of this thread is to improve the Barrels, not to belittle those who hold another opinion. I think that we should try to focus on positive discourse related to this subject.

Let's stay focused on how we can make Barrels better. That way, SoT wins. So everybody wins.

So true.
    Barrels 2.0 is a deal breaker for the people I know. We stopped playing. I'm still here literally begging Rare to fix this game. It's nothing like what it was at launch, and that would be fine if it was better, but it's not.

I paid my $60. I love the game. I spent as many or more hours playing than most. I think some of us deserve to be heard without being called a troll or whiner. The game is broken for us. Look around at the complaints. It's not just me.

You do not need to beg man. It should be a given for a game developer to make their game a more polished, fun experience and be listening to all their player base, their customers. There is still time for things to get better. Right now though the new changes make things worse. I still have hope there is still time. I urge all pirates to not give up and continue to give all the honest feedback they have. That never makes anyone a troll or a whiner. We can only make it better together for we all sail the same sea.

• @drunkpunk138 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

Coming from a PC perspective, the take all is also a bit of an improvement, but it still suffers from one major issue. That is the mouse cursor not detecting the side of the screen I am hovering over. Sometimes it works better than others, but I think if I hover my mouse cursor over the left side of the screen, it needs to detect this and react accordingly. It's mostly an issue when attempting to store items, instead it'll just pull more in my inventory. If this were addressed, the flow of managing the UI would be much quicker and more intuitive, and I wouldn't have to take a mental step back to make sure everything is perfectly aligned and functioning the way I would expect it to in that moment.

Good point. I had a couple issues last night where I would access a barrel expecting to take items out and because the game decided to switch to my inventory due to where my mouse was hovering, I ended up putting stuff in the barrel. Its also annoying when the game pulls the wrong item out because my mouse is hovering over it. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but because we can't see our cursor all the time, we don't know exactly where it will be when we open the barrel UI.

Remove the mouse hover activation and have it work on clicks only. Also, add movement key (WASD) navigation to the inventories in the UI.

• I am not sure if this was mentioned before, but why do new things need to be in barrels. Why can't they be put in the chests on the ship ? The chest where you change out your mug or spy glass ? Or make a chest like that ?

• @d3adst1ck said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@drunkpunk138 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

Good point. I had a couple issues last night where I would access a barrel expecting to take items out and because the game decided to switch to my inventory due to where my mouse was hovering, I ended up putting stuff in the barrel. Its also annoying when the game pulls the wrong item out because my mouse is hovering over it. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but because we can't see our cursor all the time, we don't know exactly where it will be when we open the barrel UI.

Remove the mouse hover activation and have it work on clicks only. Also, add movement key (WASD) navigation to the inventories in the UI.

Actually my criticism is that the mouse hover doesn't work consistently enough. I prefer it to detect which side I want to move items from in accordance with where my mouse is hovering, but it only seems to work half the time.

I will say though, while it IS my preference for the hover to determine which side I'm interacting with, I would settle for consistency. Either have it where I need to click 100% of the time, or work with hover 100% of the time. The inconsistency means there's no natural flow to the interaction with the UI.

• @drunkpunk138 It definitely needs consistency. If they want to stick with mouse hover activation, they need to reset the cursor position whenever it becomes visible. I suspect it is moving in the background while you are looking around and once it becomes visible you need to visually locate it to begin doing anything on the menu.

If I open a menu, the cursor should always be pointed at the same object space and the active menu should be the same every time especially if my actions need to be time sensitive. I would prefer keystroke navigation since it is quicker but I understand that some people would prefer to interact with the mouse, which is the entire reason for its invention.

• Here is a serious idea, not sure if it would work and a compromise between both versions.
    Why couldn't they just keep the banana, plank and cannonball barrels they way they were. No mixing, no interface.

Add one more barrel with the new UI for all the other things they want to add to the game. CCB's, maps, fishing junk, whatever...

This would be the perfect blend of keeping the simplistic game play we all loved but adding new things that you can grab but don't really need to grab in a hurry. I think this is a solution that would make everyone happy.

• With the way take all is working you end up moving things and forth you do not always want to. Handling items now can cause unnecessary button presses and clicks to fix the messy way quantities of items are moved around. Selecting an item now takes the maximum amount allowed in the character’s inventory. When using a mouse clicking should take a single item per click. Yes take all technically collects items with more speed, but it does so in a messy way. The new inventory system is still a roadblock forcing the character to be locked in place. In this manner it slows down and adversely effects the fast, furious fun that was the signature gameplay of Sea of Thieves.

Players need the choice to take items similar to before. Many players asked for take all so it does not need to be taken away, it just needs to be put to better, cleaner use. Players still need to have a choice to quickly grab items without opening the new inventory system menu or fully open the new inventory menu system.

Maybe take all should be an option to grab what is in a barrel without opening it. This, while not like the prior option of pressing a button gets you bananas because that is what the option says, you can still grab items and keep our boots and peg legs moving. You may not get the exact item you were looking for, but at least you can still stay on the move and use the radial menu to hopefully select what you were looking for and need. It would be better if barrels could still show one particular item to grab like before with no menu screen and still fully open the barrel to use the new menu inventory system.

No one wants to add more buttons or clicks that complicates or burdens using barrels more. However, the new barrel system must be improved further. It is great to improve things to get more out of the game. However, right now it feels like the new inventory system is a sacrifice, a believed end that justifies the means. It absolutely does not and should not be that way.

Thank you Rare for making Sea of Thieves. Thank you for wanting to give all us players more. Thank you for acknowledging the new barrel system is an issue and listening to all this feedback which is now up to four parts here and at other places. Thank you in advance for not giving up making this new barrel inventory system still a better blend of what everyone loved so much and what we pirates need to better sail forward to a fuller, richer sea.

Hopefully we will end up even happier than we all were before. I know a lot of us truly believe we can and are sticking around to see it come true.

• I want the auto take all to be an option. I prefered to be able to take 1, 2 or 3 items instead of all at once. And I want that to be left click not "r". I am fine with spamming to get all items. (maybe even so if you hold down for a really short time you take all)

• I still hate interacting with barrels. It's still not as convenient to use as it was before.
    Make it quick.
    Let F and R be take/store without going into inventory screen, and another button to open the full inventory screen.
    Another improvement needed is a dedicated button to store all.
    F is take all, R should be store all (when inventory screen is open).
    Right now taking evrything is very quick, but storing requires mouse hover, so its alot slower and less convenient.

• @vladokapuh said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

I still hate interacting with barrels. It's still not as convenient to use as it was before.
    Make it quick.
    Let F and R be take/store without going into inventory screen, and another button to open the full inventory screen.
    Another improvement needed is a dedicated button to store all.
    F is take all, R should be store all (when inventory screen is open).
    Right now taking evrything is very quick, but storing requires mouse hover, so its alot slower and less convenient.

I agree. It's cumbersome to interact with barrels, especially once we got so used to approach one, rapid-fire F to "take all" and be done with it.

I haven't read all posts (all 4 parts of this mega thread) but I will try to.

In the meantime, I guess the only improvement suggestion I can make to at least make it as fast to interact as before, is for F to close the interaction as soon as there's nothing more to take, instead of pressing X.

I'm still looking at the keyboard trying to find a better substitute to X, ergonomic-wise, because it's such a finger-twister, when trying to take resources out of barrels fast.

• I do believe the barrel update is a huge improvement but still needs to be worked on. Opening ui is still a hastle. Losing out on seeing how many items available is an issue to me. It’s still not as fast as just running up and hitting 1 button.

• Can we maybe leave barrels on ship how they used to be... create an extra barrel for curses balls.... and make a random chest to store random stuff

• At this point, I seriously doubt that Sea of Thieves can be saved.
    It's not a content issue, it's a production/priority issue that Rare is clearly not seeing.

Besides the fact that gameplay features are slim and that every patch content is thinner, what is obvious is that the game still has no purpose except to let players kind of role play and let the randomness do it's thing.

I like the concept of letting players create their own story and have fun, but the reality is that SoT still doesn't have the necessary depth to let players do so.

Today the overall goal is shady and lost. The game does not know where it's going.

Another fact is that Rare is obviously very focused on player feedback and I think that this is a terrible choice. Blindly listening to a community made of player that have no understanding when it comes to game developpement is a VERY bad decision.

No matter how consistent they can be between their updates.. it will still feel empty patches after empty patches. There are little to no link/continuity between all those updates and at the end.. it looks like a big pile of incoherent content.

The simple fact that they released a megalodon as a 1st update shows how desperate they were and how urgent it was for them to calm down the community. Releasing a random threat as a first patch was a bad idea, especially after launch, when the game needed vital in depth gameplay mechanics. Today, the meg is useless. it's secondary as hell.. nobody cares about it anymore.

The Cursed Cannon balls are an even bigger deception. It's overpowered and can be found anywhere in the world (therefore contradicting the original lore!) Adding such an overpowered element is vastly downgrading the sail/battle experience making it unbalanced and resuming itself to "who is going to land the first Cursed Cannonballs wins". It's sad to see so much great work thrown away after 3 years of hardwork on the sailing and battle experience (And many more i'm sure)

Sorry guys, introducing CCs was a poor idea.

The new barrel system adds another layer of "what is going on with these devs??"

Once again ruining the fps/pvp experience. I don't think that this abomination was needed to introduce new item types in the game, it just doesn't makes sense. The forum is full of great ideas for this concern. Many valid point were given and i'm sure we all know that a solution can be easily found.

The game population is almost out today, the player base is so low compared to what it was 1 month ago. At this pace, I give SoT 1 more year to catch up, or it's going to literraly die. There are many companies out there pushing the boundaries while Rare is still running with a 10 year old game dev model that can't make it up in modern times...

The quest system should be a lot more expanded, with a better usage of all the game assests,, a better continuity between all the clues/paintings in the game, caves, riddles, traps, puzzles and so much more therefore completely elevating quests to a more unexpected, longer, interesting and challenging way. Using a procedural tech to somehow never have twice the EXACT same riddle or chain of events... THIS should be the basics of Sea of Thieves... But no.

Rare, you don't need to focus on new things when the potential of your foundations have to be exploited first!

• Need to be less maps in barrels. I filled up the wheel at one outpost a little while ago. If the amount is to remain then needs to be a way to cancel them. Other then that love the new system

• Last night in the forsaken shores, I went into a shipwreck and in the bottom floor I was able to open a barrel but not take anything from it. Every single barrel with items in it worked as expected minus this one barrel it was quite weird.

• Anyone else experience the glitching/flickering of items inside a barrel just after you open it up? It prevents you from taking any items until after the flickering has stopped.

I've got a feeling this might be an issue with the selecting of an item.

It so annoying, especially in hectic situations because it lasts about .5 to 1 second. And that might just be the difference between eating a banana and being killed while stuck in the barrel inventory.

• Ok after the Forsaken Shores patch barrel 2.0 is much more tolerable. I no longer experience the lag when opening/closing the barrel UI, making grabing supplies significantly faster.

• I would like to see when you lookin a barrel by pressing f, (like it is now) and then you exit the barrel by pressing f again. Simpel and quick!

Not exit barrel by pressing x or esc like it is now. The extra button x is anoying and I can't re-assign it in key bindings on pc.

• @musicmee said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 4:

@sgt-palooggoo You should now be able to reach Pirate Legend without ever buying a voyage!

Are there advantages to buying voyages/quests over just finding them in the world? (i.e. commendations, or anything else I may be missing if I relied strictly on found maps/quests?)

Views
67 out of 83