[Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3

• @urihamrayne said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@nofears-fun there are no crates of cursed cannonballs and there will never be crates for alternative resources if the design of these crates if for them to be found at random, only by changing that fundamental aspect you could expect players to have an alternative way of story special resources, as it stands 300 is a number nobody will ever reach by playing even for 12 hours straight, only by having the most insurmaountable amount of decdication, similar to gathering 500+ treasure. If players want to do that, let them, don't limit them in their choise, if there is no alternative way of storing these special resources, you cannot punish players for finding these by having their inventory limited to the number of players in the crew, you obviously give an advantage to 4 player crews. Aka "I don't think we should be allowed to store them at all. What you carry should be your limitation on CCB's." is the dumbest system you could have proposed.

What I proposed is not an opinion, everything I say is either a fact or true, it's only an opinion when I state otherwise, 300 is the maximum amount of any type of anything any ship should store, no storage of any item should ever be less than 100, this keeps the resource management part of sea of thieves in a confortable position that it can work to allow the devs to easily tweak and balance resource gathering rates, as well as inventory management for future items. The current system allows for around 3600 cannonballs to be stored of any type the player wants, the player can choose what type he wants to hoard the most, so theoretically a player in this system could have 1200 anchor balls, 1200 regular cannonballs and 1200 peace balls, nobody is ever going to get that many, but the possibility is there, in a way is oddly fitting, but considering that they may or may not introduce new cannonballs in forsaken shores, its another thing fighting for space.

One thing I'll say is that my system is probably not what the devs intend for inventory management to be, I want players to have access to all reasources and be rewarded for gathering them in large quantities, perhaps the devs intend for dillemas where players choose to store some resources over others, which is fine, but as I mentioned before, 100 should always be the minimum.

So then, is 100 the minimum or the max. Because I was commenting on your first statement where you said 100 was the maximum for bananas and planks. Which is it? Because you are now contradicting yourself.

Oh, and I never said anything about ccb crates, so not really sure what that has to do with anything. I did say that I believe there doesn't need to be storage for ccb at all. But nothing about crates when it comes to ccb's, so not sure what you are on about with that. I did mention crates, but only because you mentioned exceeding the maximum amount that can be stored using crates. And my only response to that was that you can't rely on finding crates.

Your opening statement is about not limiting choices, but yet you set limits on how much of each type should be stored. I fail to see the logic in this conflicting statement as well.

As for fact vs opinion. The only fact is that we now have the ability to store a lot more than we did before the UI update. And I like being able to store more than 100 bananas when doing an Athena or OoS, I like having more than 100 planks and more than 300 cannonballs when doing skelly ships. So my first post was simply me saying that I didn't agree with your totals for a maximum on a per item basis for some of the items.

Not wanting to start an argument over this. I simply disagree with your totals for a maximum on a per item basis.

• @genuine-heather I got my monies worth. It's not about the money. It's about letting them know I am not happy with the bait and switch. I bought one game, but what exists now is nowhere near the game I purchased and was happy with.

• @trickrtreat01 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@genuine-heather I got my monies worth. It's not about the money. It's about letting them know I am not happy with the bait and switch. I bought one game, but what exists now is nowhere near the game I purchased and was happy with.

I'm sorry but that's absurd. There was no "bait and switch." The fundamental elements of the game haven't changed. Some details have changed, but core gameplay is essentially the same. The game is still exactly as it has always been advertised. There was no deception, certainly no "bait and switch." The designers have in good faith been working h*****n improving and expanding the game. Would you be happier if they just abandoned it, and left it as it was at release forever and ever? That's a serious question, because I'm sure some people might answer that with a resounding "yes." But I think most appreciate a development team that is still excited and ambitious about the game they've created. I certainly do. Even if I don't necessarily agree with all their choices, I'm happy that they're so dedicated to continuing development and working so hard to make the gaming experience better and better over the long run. You see, I can hate barrels 2.0 and still love the game. I can despise cursed cannonballs yet still have a "blast" playing. It's a great game, the same great game I originally purchased, only better in many ways. Now we have brigantines, megalodons, skeleton ships, lots of new cosmetics, Bilge Rats, doubloons...and yes, even cursed cannonballs. The game is progressing and whether or not we agree with every single change, that is a very good thing. It's not cause to go on a dramatic rant, trash the game and demand your money back. Frankly I think that's incredibly childish.

NOTE TO FORUM HOST: Please stop making perfectly innocuous phrases unintentionally dirty by auto-masking them.

• @genuine-heather If the core gameplay was still the same we would not have 3 megathreads about how bad the barrels are.

@genuine-heather If the core gameplay was still the same we would not have 3 megathreads about how bad the barrels are.

Good grief. If you think barrels = "core gameplay" it's no wonder we're incapable of conducting a reasonable discussion.

• @genuine-heather said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@trickrtreat01 said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@genuine-heather If the core gameplay was still the same we would not have 3 megathreads about how bad the barrels are.

Good grief. If you think barrels = "core gameplay" it's no wonder we're incapable of conducting a reasonable discussion.

If you can't see how dysfunctional the new UI is then I guess we can't

@genuine-heather said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

If you can't see how dysfunctional the new UI is then I guess we can't

Don't be ridiculous. I've said all along I don't like it. The difference is, I'm not going full drama queen and threatening to uninstall the game and demanding my money back. Barrel UI is not "core gameplay". It's a detail. Barrels still perform the exact same function as they did before, i.e. they hold stuff. As much as I don't care for the new system, it works fine. Furthermore, it's getting better. Barrels 2.0 are still very new. I have every confidence they'll be improved over time, and I'll continue to adjust to the change. It's not that big of a deal. Seriously.

• @genuine-heather Barrel UI isn't the only reason I uninstalled but I don't want to go off topic here. It is a fundamental part of the game. Again, look at the complaints in 3 mega threads. Don't just take my word for it. I guess if you just sail around and collect chickens it's not a big deal. If you do any pvp or Skull Forts then it's a deal breaker.

@genuine-heather Barrel UI isn't the only reason I uninstalled but I don't want to go off topic here. It is a fundamental part of the game. Again, look at the complaints in 3 mega threads. Don't just take my word for it.

I've read the complaints and agree with some of them. So? Look. It's very clear that you love this game, or else you wouldn't still be here on the forums talking about it. I respect your devotion to the game and sympathize with your disappointment. But honestly, the game hasn't changed that much. Just give it a minute. It'll all be okay.

EDIT: I do PvP and skull forts, too. No, it's not a "deal breaker." It's an adjustment. Keep in mind that every player in the game must suffer the same exact disadvantages. It doesn't affect you more than anybody else. We're all in the same boat.

@genuine-heather Barrel UI isn't the only reason I uninstalled but I don't want to go off topic here. It is a fundamental part of the game. Again, look at the complaints in 3 mega threads. Don't just take my word for it.

I've read the complaints and agree with some of them. So? Look. It's very clear that you love this game, or else you wouldn't still be here on the forums talking about it. I respect your devotion to the game and sympathize with your disappointment. But honestly, the game hasn't changed that much. Just give it a minute. It'll all be okay.

I am guessing, and please don't take this as an insult, but you don't do a lot of pvp or forts or things where it's imperative you aren't stuck looking at an inventory screen ? Trying to grab items from a barrel at a fort with 8 skellys on you is not going to work. Trying to grab items from a barrel with other players shooting at you is not going to work. It may suit your play style but for a lot of us it's broken. Hence the 3 mega threads...
    Edit: I guess it doesn't bother you getting killed while looking at a barrel inventory screen. But it does bother enough of us to make it an issue.

I am guessing, and please don't take this as an insult, but you don't do a lot of pvp or forts or things where it's imperative you aren't stuck looking at an inventory screen ? Trying to grab items from a barrel at a fort with 8 skellys on you is not going to work. Trying to grab items from a barrel with other players shooting at you is not going to work. It may suit your play style but for a lot of us it's broken. Hence the 3 mega threads...

Good grief. Wrong. Since you edited your post, I edited mine. I'll summarize. Yes, I do PvP and skull forts too. And no, it's not a "deal breaker." It's an inconvenience. And we're all equally inconvenienced. It doesn't affect you more than it affects anyone else. We're all suffering the same inconveniences. Those who adapt to the changes will do better than those who resist them. If you don't want to do that, that's fine.

But it does bother enough of us to make it an issue.

So be bothered. Make it an issue. Just stop with the theatrics. Register your complaint in a positive and constructive way and then continue enjoying the game. Or don't, it's up to you. You say you uninstalled the game and have left forever, even demanding your money back. Then go already. Sheesh.

Good grief. Wrong. Since you edited your post, I edited mine. I'll summarize. Yes, I do PvP and skull forts too. And no, it's not a "deal breaker." It's an inconvenience. And we're all equally inconvenienced. It doesn't affect you more than it affects anyone else. We're all suffering the same inconveniences. Those who adapt to the changes will do better than those who resist them. If you don't want to do that, that's fine.

I would argue that a solo player is inconvenienced more. You would have a better chance of soloing a skull fort when you could kite skellys and run by barrels and grab things quickly. Where you have a group, you can take turns grabbing supplies. Same goes for people boarding your ship. It would be easier to take on more than one player if you didn't have to look at a barrel inventory screen.

So be bothered. Make it an issue. Just stop with the theatrics. Register your complaint in a positive and constructive way and then continue enjoying the game. Or don't, it's up to you. You say you uninstalled the game and have left forever, even demanding your money back. Then go already. Sheesh.

"asking" for a refund isn't demanding. Never said I left "forever". You are the one with the theatrics. I am still pointing out what's wrong with the barrel UI, you are just attacking me because I don't like it.
    I just made 2 valid points about how the new UI favors groups over individual players. It just made it harder for solo players or people who are outnumbered by the enemy.

"asking" for a refund isn't demanding. Never said I left "forever". You are the one with the theatrics. I am still pointing out what's wrong with the barrel UI, you are just attacking me because I don't like it.
    I just made 2 valid points about how the new UI favors groups over individual players. It just made it harder for solo players or people who are outnumbered by the enemy.

I'm not attacking you because you don't like the new barrels. I don't like them either. I'm attacking you because of your incessant, hyperbolic theatrics. You said you uninstalled the game and "asked" for a refund. That sounds to me like someone who never intends to play again. Otherwise you'd wisely keep the game, register your complaints, and simply bide your time until the minor issues are resolved. You made your feelings clear by now. It's not that we don't get it. Everybody understands the issues with the barrels. The difference is most of us aren't uninstalling the game and "asking" for a refund. It's just childish manipulation, like threatening to hold your breath until you die if you don't get your way. Enough, already.

• Lost three shipmates who I got to play this game, but won't anymore do to this change, plus I'm not far behind if this, and the other bugs don't get fixed. I'm sorry, but the old system was fine to me. The whole searching inventory is overkill, not to mention how many cannon balls you can hold now, which is shocking. Plus how easy it is to get the special cannon balls, at least make them harder to get.
    Being able to hold 10 cannon balls vs only 5 bananas and 5 Planks was weird to begin with. I could do without the new cannon balls, and hope they are short lived. A 100 cannon balls for a slope, 150 for a Brig, and 200 for a Gal are plenty. If you are low, stop by an island, fort, or port, all of which there are plenty of.
    If anything, stop changing servers on me after I have stocked up and start heading to attack a skull fort only to be sent to another server.
    Plus, where are mine, and the rest of my crew mates cursed sails?????
    I love what this game could be and should be, but it's not. Hopefully a future update makes it playable again.

B

• @genuine-heather It's not an idle threat when you follow through. People are complaining about the menu that pops up, Mike is saying there will be a menu pretty much no matter what even if it's streamlined a bit. People are still complaining and Rare seems to want to dig in. So be it. At some point all we can do is uninstall and stop playing. It's not about theatrics. Someone else just posted how his crew left the game. How many have to leave before Rare realizes this last update was a huge mistake ?
    Again, I added to the conversation about how solo players or players who are outnumbered are at a huge disadvantage now. You care to talk about ? I'm trying to stay on topic.

• @trickrtreat01 What difference does it make to you? You left the game. For what it’s worth, I’ve already agreed the barrels have their problems. But I didn’t uninstall the game, state unequivocally that I’m no longer going to play, demand—sorry, “ask for”—a refund...then continue to spam the forum with disparaging posts. I think I’d rather talk to people who actually still play the game.

• @genuine-heather Quote me where I made disparaging posts in this thread or stop with your smear campaign. You are the one making disparaging remarks..wasn't you that said i was childish and a drama queen among other things?
    I just posted in this thread :
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/72212/cursed-cannonballs-as-a-non-storable-item/6
    The person who started that thread had a reasonable idea. Why can't new items be rare and non-storable so we can keep the original UI ?
    It would make a lot more sense that you carry the basic 3 items on you, everything else is carried like a chest or skull. CCB's being scarce and carried like a chest or powder keg would make more sense.

• @thor-von-blitz

I was completely aboard, until you listed 300 of each curseball.

That is still overkill.

Limit (on a Galleon/Brigantine) should be 300 cannonballs total. Period.

A single Cannonball-Barrel can hold ten stacks of 10 cannonballs, which equals 100 balls.

You could have four stacks of various curseballs and six stacks of normal cannonballs or any other combination up to a total of 100 balls per barrel.

Yes! I agree with this. ANY barrel anywhere should be limited to 100 items: cannonballs, planks or bananas (food), or a mix of all three. This rule should apply to specialist barrels on the ship, as well as mixed-purpose barrels found in the world.

And the maximum carrying capacity of a pirate should be TEN cannonballs total, of all types. Thus, if you have three cursed balls, you can only carry seven regular ones.

And "TAKE ALL" if it is ever implemented, should be "Take all that I can carry; limited by whatever I already have in my pockets". No boarder should be able to completely empty all of a ships barrels by "TAKING ALL" from each.

If there is a mix of stuff in a barrel, "TAKE ALL" should go slot by slot. Thus, if a barrel contains 30 regular cannonballs in the first slot, and a few slots of cursed balls, "TAKE ALL" should fill the pirate's ten cannonball quota from the first slot, and not give up any cursed cannonballs. However, if the last slot contains planks or bananas, they will be transferred too; again limited by the depth of the pirate's pockets.

If a pirate wants to pick and choose what stuff he takes from a barrel, he should take his time, open the barrel, and take items one by one.

• @nofears-fun I'll draw for you.

The minimum a storage slot should have is 100 for any item, be that cannonballs/wood/food. The optimal is 300 for cannonballs only, which is what I propose, while keeping 100 for everything else, so players may have better use for crates and incorporate them into their resource management.

In other words the minimum a barrel in the curent system should hold is 1200 items, while the maximum proposed is 3600, it can't go any lower or higher than these numbers. If every slot can hold up to 300, we won't need to worry about conflicts in inventory in the future, as players will have ample space to store whatever they want. If only the cannonball barrels have slots that hold up to 300 and the wood/food barrel's slots hold up to 100, we still maintain the same level of inventory and resource management, while allowing for the crates to play a more interesting role in the system.

Therefore, minimum 100 max 300. Which is why my first post in the thread is the best system unconstested, as per usual.

• No, there was definitely a bait and switch.

All the previous updates have been "take it or leave it" content, with a small exception of the powder skellies. If you didn't want to take part in the expanded content, you didn't have to. You were free to keep doing core quests and pvp as usual.

More items =/= more content. Instead of more quest types, more NPCs, and all the other possibilities for "take it or leave it" content with a longer shelf life than a weekly event, we are getting more things to micromanage. The UI, the CCBs are all forced on you.

If Rare had thunk for a second, we might be seeing CCBs that only affect skellies, which would make way more sense in the lore. And a CCB barrel with the UI, regular barrels with the old, better UI. That would be way more in keeping with their previous position, the "take it or leave it" updates. And the "level playing field" pvp, etc etc etc.

So yes, definite bait and switch. I don't trust anything Rare has to say now. It's all either empty promises never followed through on, or blatant reverses of previous claims.

• If a ship were limited to a total of 200/300 cannonballs of all types (depending on ship type), and a pirate was limited to carrying a total of just ten cannonballs of all types, the current complaints about cursed cannonballs being OP would be mitigated somewhat.

It would make resource management a real skill to be mastered. No crew (and no individual pirate) could afford to carry too many cursed cannonballs at the expense of having a sufficient stock of regular balls. After all, cursed cannonballs do not put holes in a ship. If your inventory was full, it could even mean having to decide what balls to sacrifice to store the extra new "anchor" balls you just found.

• Rather you just like or truly love playing SoT, it would be best to hold your course and not cancel your voyage yet. All of us pirates also need to stick together, especially when the seas seem too rough to continue.

We are in the third part of the discussion to gather feedback of what has made the waters very choppy. That means a lot. If this issue was truly said and done, we would not have this opportunity to still be talking about it. If you are passionate enough to keep speaking about how this change has impacted you, your family, and friends, you should have enough passion to at least see things through to its conclusion.

It was not a quick voyage to get where we are at. Give everyone enough time to man the helm and navigate the best path forward. If the final destination is truly not where you want to be, make your decision then if there is enough wind still left in your sails to keep sailing or dock at an outpost and say goodbye.

• I'm actually a big fan of the changes made to the inventory systems and think it allows for great expansions in the future. I don't find that the menus really hinder my speed, but I do have a couple suggestions that may already be being looked at:

1.) When exiting the barrel menu there is a significant lag time in which your character cannot turn around. This definitely needs some tweaking to bring back the ability to quickly return to a task in tense situations such as ship battles.

2.) The ability to put so many stacks in barrels seems a little bit overkill to me. I always thought that one of the best parts of the game was that resource gathering was important and balanced naval battles very well. Important decisions had to be made when glossing over your stock before and after voyages. Accurate cannonball hits in the heat of battle were rewarded by the fact that each crew, no matter the size, could only have 100 planks (almost a form of HP) and how those cannonballs and planks were used strategically would determine the victor. The old resource numbers also put a welcome "soft cap" on the time limit of naval battles.

Just some thoughts. Keep up the great work! =)

• Ideas for improving the Barrels 2.0 Player Experience:

Suggestion: Allow player movement with the left stick (WASD) while the barrel UI is open. If you walk far enough away from the barrel, automatically close the UI.
    Why? You can still use the d-pad (mouse) to select items in the barrel UI. Players do not like feeling locked down. This would help alleviate that.

Suggestion: Do not allow players to store items in barrels around the world. Make the player inventory (left side of the UI) non-accessible while looking through world barrels.
    Why? There are almost no situations where you'd want to store items in these types of barrels, and you can always manually hand items to crewmates. Accidentally storing items wastes time and can get you killed.

Suggestion: When searching barrels around the world, auto-close the UI when all the items have been taken, or you are carrying maximum supplies.
    Why? There is no reason to remain in the barrel UI when you have taken all of its resources or are maxed out.

Suggestion: Show which resources are in a barrel before opening it with the following tags (allow a maximum of 3 different item types in a barrel to prevent this from looking too cluttered):
    'bananas X'
    'planks X'
    'cannonballs X'
    'cursed cannonballs X'
    Why? This keeps players out of the UI and in the game. Players could also still feel surprised when opening a barrel because they don't know what types of cursed cannonballs they are going to get.

Suggestion: The open barrel button (X) should be the same button used for 'take all.'
    Why? This will allow players to quickly gather resources with a single button press, like they did in barrels 1.0.

Suggestion: Gray out barrels that are 'empty' or when you are carrying full supplies, and make them non-interactive.
    Why? It's still very easy to accidentally open 'empty' barrels and waste time. There is no reason to open an 'empty' barrel.
    There is no reason to open a barrel when you are full on all of the supplies inside. This is not fun "gameplay."

Suggestion: Limit storage capacity (stack sizes) of ship barrels significantly. My suggestion is to make stack sizes 10, so you could have a maximum of 360/120/120 storage on a galleon/brig.
    Why? With so much storage, there is always a reason for players to gather more and more supplies to be better prepared for PvP and PvE. This only serves to takes players out of the game, waste more time in barrels, and gain an unfair advantage. The previous barrel limits of 300/100/100 were battle-tested and worked incredibly well.

Suggestion: Resources that do no match the ship barrel type should not be selectable from the player inventory while the barrel UI is open.
    Why? When I am in the ship's cannonball barrel UI, for example, I should not be able to select my bananas and planks. Since I can't store these in cannonball barrels anyway, this only wastes time.

1. I do NOT like the idea of a take all button, but it sounds like it is coming anyway. This will allow other players to quickly take a lot of resources out of your barrels.

2. With the new inventory system, item-specific barrels seem clunky. Just make all barrels standard and allow us to store whatever we want, wherever we want. You could even enable some of the disabled ship barrels. This would make it difficult for other crews to know exactly where your resources are.

• I think Take All is mostly good, but the ability to store an insane number of rare resources in your personal inventory is not. I think you should be limited to carrying 2 cursed cannonballs (1 green, 1 purple) max. This would mean:

• You don't lose a bunch on disconnect
    • Prevents take-all abuse
    • Lowers power level of cursed cannonballs
    • Makes upcoming cannonball radial less crowded/confusing
    • Promotes more planning/strategy
    • Prevents "crew disharmony" issues ("Hey, who took 50 cursed cannonballs from the barrels!?")
  • Among the several pending improvements/fixes, these are the ones i select as most urgent:

• There is a bug that makes you stuck if you close a barrel and immediately try to move away. This is REALLY annoying.
    • Please add the promised cannon ball radial menu when on cannon.
    • On PC, you close the map table with F, you close the barrels with X, you close the inventory with TAB, and you close most other menus with Esc. There should be a consistent key for closing everything that is not as inconvenient as Esc (i suggest X). Or just let us rebind Esc to whatever we want.
  • @jonaldinho said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

1. I do NOT like the idea of a take all button, but it sounds like it is coming anyway. This will allow other players to quickly take a lot of resources out of your barrels.

Players will still be limited on how many of the big three, bananas, cannonballs, and planks they can carry if things stay as they are now. Where they could truly grab everything in a boarding is cursed cannonballs if that limit does not change.

Cursed cannonballs seem to be what most players want to steal right now. It is sort of funny. The new inventory system was dropped now for them. Except for new players we come across, cursed cannonballs are being kept in the character inventory instead so they cannot be grabbed. Better testing should reveal these things. Hopefully there will truly be better testing in the future.

We all shall see how the “Take All” works and will give the appropriate feedback after trying it.

• Will the cannonball barrel kick get patched this week? I’ve lost no less than two skelly ship encounters because I can’t access my cannonballs because my ship is moving.

• @eddythecaptain said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@khaleesibot said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

@eddythecaptain said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

We still need a way to pick up items from barrels instantly like we used to be able to do. Having to go into the barrel inventory slows you down, making it feel clunky and unnecessary.

Let us pick up items 1 by 1 if we need to in the heat of the moment, as well as giving us the option to open the barrels and "take all/give all" like you intend to do!

Some players on the forums already had a nice UI planned out for these changes.

We're working on a Take All feature update to the Barrels. This is something we hear loud and clear from the community!

Yes, the Take-all feature is great, but opening barrels and using the "take-all" feature should be a choice.

You removed the "quick pick-up" feature we had were you can just go up to a barrel and spam the "take" button to quick take items in the heat of the moment. If you are being chased by a skeleton, you now have to take the time to stop and open the barrel instead of just swinging by and spamming the "take" button a few times.

Bring back the "quick pick-up" AND introduce the new UI + "take-all" for the best barrel 2.0 setup.

Like this!
    YES PLEASE! I am an Athenas 10 Pirate Legend who has not played the game since this new barrel system started... PLEASE LISTEN to the TOP COMMENT IN THIS THREAD!

• @eddythecaptain said in [Mega Thread] Barrel 2.0 - Part 3:

We still need a way to pick up items from barrels instantly like we used to be able to do. Having to go into the barrel inventory slows you down, making it feel clunky and unnecessary.

Let us pick up items 1 by 1 if we need to in the heat of the moment, as well as giving us the option to open the barrels and "take all/give all" like you intend to do!

Some players on the forums already had a nice UI planned out for these changes.

YES ! Please Rare just let us quick grab items without the UI! Please. From an Athenas 10 Pirate Legend who stopped playing when this new Barrel System started.

• @strinder YA man, It is really a b****r and I hope they fix this. Please Rare let us spam grab like we used to do for the first 5 months without this clunky menu! #UnBreakMyHeart

Views
109 out of 168