Rare.. Don't do these real world timed events anymore..

• Some people may not know this, but the Cursed Sails event is based off real world time frames.

Since every server is the same time. Each battle can occur during a 10 day time frame, 24 minutes a day, for 10 days that is 4 hour slots for these specific ships.

That means, only twice a real day will these ships appear, and always at the exact time.

Ancient Isles: 12:00AM-4:00AM & 12:00PM-4:00PM
    The Wilds: 4:00AM-8:00PM & 4:00PM-8:00PM
    The Shoresof Plenty: 8:00AM-12:00PM & 8:00PM-12:00AM
    These times are from EST.

But depending on your timezone in the world, you may be excluded from doing 1 of the battles.

Myself for example, I work a full time job. So I cannot participate in a 12-4pm ship battle at Ancient Isles, the only other time frame I could do would be.. 12-4am.. WHAT?! As someone who.. once again works a full time job, that makes it really freaking hard to do at that time. Both times don't work for me. I am effectively locked out of that content. Sure, there are weekends, but I now have to be perfect in trying to set up a good time and completing in in one night.

I play 3-4 hours a day usually, plenty of time to complete any event. However, being portions of the event is locked to specific times throughout the day seems absurd to me. It doesn't matter how much I play, I would not be able to 100% this event unless I change my sleep schedule and sacrifice my work schedule too..

I am not sure how Rare could have overlooked this, seeing how prevalent it may be that many people will miss out on at least one ship battle because of the time frames.

Events tied to an exclusive time is.. fine with me, however, you gotta make those times accessible for some people.

Views
  • @bambam-bm I feel ya cause I'm in pretty much the same boat. I'm just planning on staying up all night Friday to knock out Ancient Isles. I love the game and event but I really have no idea what they were thinking with this. Sounds like they have way to many "yes-man" there.

• @bambam-bm

Never thought about that. So I have to be lucky to don't have a job at this moment. Need to go back to work at the end of this month.

I hope for you Rare will change this, like Monday start with Ancient and the next day to start with The Wilds or after 2 days or something... etc

• @xxmrvincexx said in Rare.. Don't do these real world timed events anymore..:

@bambam-bm

Never thought about that. So I have to be lucky to don't have a job at this moment. Need to go back to work at the end of this month.

I hope for you Rare will change this, like Monday start with Ancient and the next day to start with The Wilds or after 2 days or something... etc

Yeah, At least rotate the times around, having say Ancient Isles the exact same time every single day during the event really locks some people out.

• I agree it can be tough. I like the system as there is always something to do, but work gets in the way

Although weekends will be my saving grace, maybe it would be best to swap them up each day

• I imagine they will rotate the regions around some, but it is still odd, for sure.

I was thinking about it too... the only other thought I had was overlapping them a bit - but I can see why they'd only want one at a time going.

It's an interesting implementation, and I don't necessarily think that it is bad - but I don't think having the times locked into RL time, as it is, is so great either.

We were somewhat lucky when we started, because by the time we were done with Shores Of Plenty, it was about time for the Ancient Isles to start. However, we'd have had to wait until 4AM for the Wilds event to begin. :D

• I wish they were randomized per server much like skull forts. that way you could server hop to get the one you wanted

• Agreed, it's really bad planning from Rare. A lot of people can only play at specific times due to work or kids etc.

• @pdt-mindstream

Well the 2nd one we did last night was finished in about 20 minutes... We had a perfect alliance team. But we had to wait 11 days. So we thought lets do the last one also... And the last one was not going that perfect. When we finished it, it was allready 7 in the morning (omg)

• Yeah that's ridiculous, why can't they just rotate the outposts each day? I'm an 8pm - 12am player. I cannot be on during any other time of the day. Rotate the schedule Rare. Please.

• Got weekend?

• Meh...another nail in my pirate coffin.

I like what they are doing but it's just getting harder and harder for me to participate.

• I agree with the OP to an extent and I'm in exactly the same boat (yaaarrr) with real world committments etc. I'm not sure that fully grown adults with full time jobs was the demographic that Rare were aiming for with SoT though.

• Ahoy there -

Rare are conscious that this is a concern amongst the Community and we've now created a megathread to collect this feedback all in one place, I'll close this one down now and let the discussions continue here -

https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/69254/feedback-thread-around-real-world-timings-of-cursed-sails-battles-megathread

Views
13 out of 14