Mechanics, Features, and Things that Rare should add to Sea of Thieves

• @nathanstirling Yes, definitely a physical anchor, and an NPC merchant ship! Thanks for the response! Great ideas too!

• I'll just drop another shameless link to my (rather extensive) suggestions here, hoping someone at some point might even consider it.
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/44698/suggestion-introduction-of-classes-system/8

• @rattlyfob True, true. My highest reputation right now is 17 with Gold Hoarders soooo...

• @jchansell
    A collection of simple ideas:

1 - PvE - PvP Rare could simply and silently put into the same server people chosen by their play style. If you like to kill everyone, you will preferably join maps with people like you.
    2 - Fishing is mandatory.
    3 - MORE ENEMIES and creatures (hostile or neutral NPCs)... sect of evil pirates, royal soldiers, cursed monkeys, mermaids... let fantasy rule! Of corse, new factions as well (simple to do because they have got these mechanics).
    4 - More undersea contents and findings (same).
    5 - More isles and more environmental diversity, see what Fortnite did when the map was revamped... (same)
    6 - Environmental items... the world is actually fantastic but irresponsive. They can add items to be put in your inventory, meaningful and usable or not (a broken sword, a shoe, seashells ...)

• The greatest aspect of this game is that we all know there's good possibilities that these ideas will get implemented. There's a lot of great ideas just in this forum, and I know I dont build games for a living. Rare has to take note of these ideas and they'll choose the ones that they think will make the game better. Ideas like these are in the making, and thats whats going to make this game last and continue to grow and get players more involved. Sure I'd like to see all these things on day one, but the excitement that this stuff will be implemented kinda keeps us all going.

• @jchansell I think it would be cool if the npc ships where bigger and slower than galleons, with more cannons and no anchor. So you can't board them to drop the anchor.
    This would also make them better targets for more agile sloops whereas the galleons would get slammed by cannon fire.
    (I also think they shouldn't repair themselves but should sink very slowly)

• i personaly think an old pirate npc in every tavern would be nice
    this guy will make some bets with you
    "when i was a young pirate, i sailed 20 minutes in a storm" (yeah i know, he wouldn talk like that)
    and then you have to sail 20 minutes in a storm to get some gold from him, if you fail, you loose gold
    you can also do other stuff like
    "sink 3 ships"
    "kill 20 sharks"
    "swim form (iland name) to (iland name) without getting killed by sharks"
    "be poisoned by snakes for 2 minutes"
    "steal 5 bananas from an enemy ship and escape"
    stuff like that

• @maloghigno for number 1 I think there are other, more creative ways to limit overagressiveness than simply splitting players up. I don't want to limit players to the way they play the gaane and I think the wild card of "how is he going to interact with me" makes the multiplayer so great. If I always know that they will be friendly or hostile it takes away that element of surprise that really makes the game great in my opinion.

• There are several things that could be added.
    (note: Of course these are not just my ideas, many of these have been around the forums in some threads.)

More variety in some details:
    Shipwreckes are only galleons yet, sloop wrecks could be a little addition, of course they should contain less treasures, but it would mix up the wreck explorations.
    Also a thing that came up again and again: more enemy types. There are different types of skeletons now, but something else (monsters/beasts, ghosts...) would fit in the game too.

Quests:
    I would like to see another type of treasure maps, where you see a picture of a scene including an X for the spot, just like in ESO (just as one example i encoutered recently) actually. This would be a nice addition and matches the pirate theme perfectly.

Of course additions to the cosmetic changes should be deliverd every now and then. But keep in mind, that it can be frustrating to spend your hard earned gold for the hat you always wanted just for Rare to add an even better looking one in the game just days later. I've been there in other games...

Addition of team-based things like heavy chests that have to be carried by two players and require coordination of these two would be an interesting addition to help players teaming up.

But a thing i personally would not like to see in SoT are upgrades which actually improve your character or ship. It would be nice in general, but it was told by Rare that every player has the same technical abilities and you only improve as a player over time, so you can't just overpower other players by having the money for better equipment. This would be a great change in the promoted concept of the game.

• @rattlyfob Yes, this should definitely be considered by Rare if they decide to add NPC ships to the game. I know that they want all ships to be controlled by players and stuff, but NPC ships could have sails and customization that represent them (For example skeleton/ ghost ships could have skull or ghostly sail designs) so that you know the difference between player and AI. I think this would allow them to impliment NPC ships in a way that also doesn't take away from the multiplayer immersion and experience.

• @jchansell
    but a ghost ship would be a great skin for players later D:

1. HARPOON GUN
    2. magic
    3. armor
    4. playable undead
    5. duels
    6. fishing
    7. something to pass the time while traveling (fishing)
    8. swivel guns
    9. chained cannon balls for mast attacks
    10. mast damage and repair.

in my mercenary outfit pack, I got a pistol that has a sight on it. I am excited to see what other weapon skins add a sight or other feature that doesn't inherently give an edge but boosts my perception of an edge.

• @jchansell maybe the npc ship is the ferry of the damned and the crew is a ghost copy of everyone who died on the server.

Edited: if you die several times you see several copies, and it doesnt tell you where it is you find out by looking around when you die.

• @grogguzzler-joe That's a good idea! Like the table game idea from earlier, this one also offers an opportunity to acquire some extra gold to buy that one hat you are so close to buying, and it allows you to better know the charcters and NPCs in the Sea of Thives! Thanks for the idea!

• @rattlyfob said in Mechanics, Features, and Things that Rare should add to Sea of Thieves:

@maloghigno for number 1 I think there are other, more creative ways to limit overagressiveness than simply splitting players up. I don't want to limit players to the way they play the gaane and I think the wild card of "how is he going to interact with me" makes the multiplayer so great. If I always know that they will be friendly or hostile it takes away that element of surprise that really makes the game great in my opinion.

I'm a little late on this, but I agree. I sloop followed me for 15 minutes the other day and I was sweating because I didn't know if we were going in the right direction or if he was trying to attack me. So I turned port side, had my mate shoot me out of the cannon, killed him, and took his chest. Hahah

• @maloghigno ,you g**o of here with your mandatory fishing

• @sirliborius i agree that yoi shouldnt be able to buy your way to victory, but what do you think about buying/unlocking different ship configurations? So the ship is thr same but the cannon positions/speed/turning is different based on sime drawback. Like all cannons on one side or no cannojs but more top speed.

• @rattlyfob That would be cool! When you mean ghost copy do you mean that the people on the Ferry of the Damned aren't actually there, and it's just to show who is currently on the ferry? Or is it the actual people, and they can see the "normal world" around them, but they can't access it because they are cursed to be stuck on it for a bit before they are allowed to leave? It would be funny if it was the latter, because you could tease and greet the people of the damned as you sail by!

1. I saw some mentionings of harpooning whales and customizing your ship to suit your playstyle; Actually having the option to equip your ship with one, single piece of extra equipment while at port would be cool. Such things could be a harpoon which could be used to catch said whales or latch on to another ship, armored hull which would give you an edge when ramming another ship, a grapeshot cannon to blast opposing crews at close range, a lifeboat, or such.

2. The ability to at least change the color of your flag. Could be an entertaining way to communicate with other ships while staying out of shouting/shooting distance.

3. Bounty system, partnered with a reputation system. As stated. There needs to be some kind of risk involved when attacking other ships, even when you're not carrying any treasure yourself. Plus, it gives other players the incentive to "play pirate police", so to speak.

4. An actual goods trading system instead of having the merchant voyages working like every other quest. Let players buy different types of cargo chests and keep track of where to get the best price for them.

• @tojje These are all great ideas! Thank you for replying!

• @rattlyfob sagte in Mechanics, Features, and Things that Rare should add to Sea of Thieves:

@sirliborius i agree that yoi shouldnt be able to buy your way to victory, but what do you think about buying/unlocking different ship configurations? So the ship is thr same but the cannon positions/speed/turning is different based on sime drawback. Like all cannons on one side or no cannojs but more top speed.

So bescially specializing your ship. Sounds like a compromise that could work.
    But a little mismatch in the balancing of the different configurations can do a lot of damage to the gameplay. So it's risky, but not impossible.

• @tojje Are you sure about the whale and harpooning thing? Do you remember where you saw it? If you do can you please post the link in this thread! Thank you in advance!

• @jchansell so when you die a part of you stays on the ship forever in service to the ship (a ghost version of you becomes an npc that mans the ships cannons/fights boarders)... or until it sinks/you leave... and while you are dead you can look around to get an idea of where it is. Then, when you find it in game you can attack the ship and have to kill all of the souls who died on the server that day (yes dying while fighting thr ship would add more people for you to fight).
    Once you kill the crew/sink the ship you would get a reward called the ferryman's chest plus all of the gold lost at sea throughout the day (touched loot that was not claimed because the ship sunk or people left the server)
    *the ship wouldnt really sink it would just take enough damage and retreat under the sea and drop all the loot.

• @jchansell said in Mechanics, Features, and Things that Rare should add to Sea of Thieves:

@tojje Are you sure about the whale and harpooning thing? Do you remember where you saw it? If you do can you please post the link in this thread! Thank you in advance!

Oh, sorry, I was a bit unclear. I meant that somebody earlier in this thread suggested it.

• @rattlyfob said in Mechanics, Features, and Things that Rare should add to Sea of Thieves:

@jchansell so when you die a part of you stays on the ship forever... or until it sinks/you leave... and while you are dead you can look around to get an idea of where it is. Then, when you find it in game you can attack the ship and have to kill all of the souls who died on the server that day (yes dying while fighting thr ship would add more people for you to fight).
    Once you kill the crew/sink the ship you would get a reward called the ferryman's chest plus all of the gold lost at sea throughout the day (touched loot that was not claimed because the ship sunk or people left the server)
    *the ship wouldnt really sink it would just take enough damage and retreat under the sea and drop all the loot.

Ferryman's chest gave me chills... Needs to happen!

• @sirliborius so the way I see it, as long as you don't give a ship a solution to every fight it stays balanced.
    Ie a faster ship does less damage, sure you can run away but you cant steal gold anymore and you still have to adjust your sails better to keep yoir speed boost.
    Or a front facing cannon as your only cannon. Sure, you can fire while persuing a target but if they out manuever you, you loose your bonus, plus it would be harder to avoid collisions and you would have to be smarter about positioning.

• @rattlyfob kind of like we discussed eatlier. Sure loosing cannons will make you faster for looting, but your definitely more vulnerable. It would help the risk and reward system a lot

• @rogueal69 plus being able to change your ship (in my opinion) makes you take much more emotionally attached to the ship. Customizing it makes it yours and adds more depth to the game.

• @rattlyfob That is a really neat idea! When you said when someone dies it would add more people to fight, I got a bit confused. Why would you crew attack it if you were on the ferry? You dying would not add to the people to fight because your crew would not want to kill you (Although how would you die on the ferry if you are already dead? Maybe dying just prolongs the time that you spend on it!). This does add another cool element though! When you die you go to the ferry and add to the people there. And as stated before, your crew would not want to kill/extend your time on the ferry. This will make it so that your crew has to decide whether to keep attacking (To keep the process going, and to defend), which would extend your time on the ship, making your crew have one less man in order to defend and keep the progress of defeating the ship, or not attack the ship, allowing you to spend minimal time on the ferry, but exposing your ship to the cannonballs and attacks of the ship.

• @RattlyFob Here's another idea: Maybe the captain of the Ferry of the Damned forces you to be part of his crew, and to work, attack, and defend against players attacking the ferry, or else you will lose gold, reputation, or maybe just spend eternity on the ferry (Until you act to help the crew and work on the ferry). This will force you to attack your own crew's ship if you guys are attacking the ferry, or you will get punished. This will add more risk to the battle, and a greater fear of dying.

• @jchansell see it'd be great when your ship isnt attacking and its another ship. Plus the combination of npc ghost remnants and players would make the raid super hard, and dying would be more fun than sitting around

• @rattlyfob Yeah! I really hope that @Rare-Employee takes these ideas into consideration! (Most likely not, this is a very small thread, but it's a possibility!)

• @jchansell With the fishing I hope it'll be just to sell because I really don't want to have ANOTHER survival game. It would get really annoying especially when doing things like Skeleton Forts.

• @offsidepage i think either selling or an alternate health source (besides bananas) would be fine

• @offsidepage I KNOW! I was thinking the same thing when people were talking about crafting! I want these things in the game, but I DO NOT want them to become a giant part of the game, that will slowly change this game into another type! This game does not need very many survival aspects to it at all, so if there is crafting or fishing involved in the game, I want it to be for selling, and to maybe craft small items, but I don't want this to turn into a game where you need to fish for food to fill your "hunger bar". Thanks for the response!

Views
feedback
47 out of 87