Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1

• @shrek-t-t said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1:

@khaleesibot im super happy with rares outstanding work updating us on fixes and not trying to sugercoat the issues we have with a typical developer responce like contact your ip or check your network connection lol. but issues im having not been addressed for example

:pc players have more HP and weapon damage than console players.

:ship's are out running others even when sail's are against the wind and the guy chasing has sail's perfect.

:when sinking a player can get bucket out fill bucket instantly empty in the hull and constantly repeat and it stop's ship from sinking any futher while doing this glitch.

:players can sit at an active port and the skelington towers will not fire but they will fire on ship's further away giving the ship thats close extra defence i checked this out while we were at the fort the cannons stop'ed firing at us when we got close but i went in the tower and i could use the cannon's and could hit my ship easy.

I think sloops are faster against the wind than galleons. How do you know pc players have more hp and more damage.

• thats not 19gb's of patching. never seen a 19gb patch before

• When can we change the Flags and Name or ship and still no Achievements showing after update

• @khaleesibot Nice guys. Keep the transparency. It helps tremendously to know what's going on, what's prioritized why etc... I love it.

I can't wait for "as intended" stability so we can see new things in the works!!

• IMHO the best solution ever and the only one possible is
    TO RESPAWN AT THE FARTHEST SPAWN FROM THE LOCATION YOU SANK
    instead of spawn next to the event wich makes people be more careful, for example, if the event is on the middle of the map and your ship sinks then you spawn at the island that is more far of that position, lets say on west are 4 islands and east are 5 islands, you spawn at the 5th island, instead of spawning at the island next to the place your ship was sank.

Changing server and that stuff just add more stress to a already overloaded server.

Also IMO as of right now because of mainly the absurd spawn so close after sinking it brokes the game experience a lot just to mention a few:

1. There isnt any reasson to take care about the ship wich get us to-
    2. People tend to kamikazi like rushing straight to ships sinking themselves without even try to shoot wich get us to-
    3. They spawn next to where they sank and repeat until they sink yours wich get us to-
    4. You do the same wich get us to-
    5. A very bad experience about repeating all these points until one of the ships get that bored to give up wich can be hours wich get us to-
    6. The game isnt meant for that cluster "hell" garbage.

Another big issue is there isnt any penalty for dying other than wait like 30 seconds, if it were at least 2 minutes it should be a easy fix for now.

Now if they wanna fix it the fix is pretty simple really:

They make ships spawn at the farthest location of where they sank no matter what happened.
    They increase the time to come back when a player die to 2 minutes.
    And that is basically it, its very very simple and fixes a HUGE problem not to mention how good get the game experience in general.

• SO MANY PEOPLE ARE WHINING!!!!! Just delete the game and play CoD see if you get something better there. Getting a bit p****d because of this, they all work REALLY hard to give us a good playable game and 80% i read is whining whining whining. When do we get this, when do we get that bla bla bla aaaaaaaah a full game download QQ.

Serious guys EAT SALT

How would you feel when you make something you are realllly proud of and all you get is nah it s**ks. This game got so much potential just have a little patience...

/Salute

• I really appreciate what you are doing with these videos Craig and Joe (and everybody working behind the camera). Good job mateys!

• @khaleesibot Great to see! I came to the game late in development, after the first closed beta for insiders, and instantly fell in love. I was excited, then cautious due to concerns about content. I still wish there had been more at release, but am entirely satisfied with what I got and my friends and I are having a blast. Great work Rare, can't wait to see where the game goes from here!

• Thanks for the update, Rare!

• @gaddsp We found that too!! I hope it is a future quest or something. Makes me wish for more dungeon like quests.

• What about inviting a 4th palyer to a 3 man crew?

• This all is great, honestly, no sarcasm. But a 19GB update in Europe prime time? The maintenance literally finished when I got home from work, and good luck playing earlier than at least tomorrow with my connection. Today's sailing plans cancelled, then.

• @khaleesibot I’m starting to think the missing weapon glitch is tied to my account somehow. Even after this update it happens everytime I log in. If I killmyself “sometimes” the other weapon comes back but if I join a game it disappears again. D- from me on the big fixes -_-

• "Players should no longer intermittently be missing items and weapons when loading into the game" : does not work for me, at the beginning of the game I have to equip myself with a weapon instead of my sword and let me die to have the 2 free slots...

• @hoehnfels Don't place to much hope in that, my bet is on you being disapointed.

• Great work! That's a sizeable change-list after just one week!

However, I feel the need to speak up about adding seagulls to floating barrels. This seems unecessary and I hope you'll reconsider it. It'll lead to confusing barrels for sunken ships, and stop the barrels from being the pleasant surprise they tend to be, rolling up near the ship.

• You are awesome

• Death cost sounds like a bad thing, just because people would be more careful, avoid sea battles and kind removing some of the biggest point of the game.

BUT still killing ships and seem the ship that you just kill respawing couple islands of you is not fun either.
    As i say before, sink a ship should be a definitive mesure not just mitigating factor. If you sink a ship in a fort for example, this ship can easily come back and kill you by letting you out of resources to sink him.

• @paciencia095 said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1:

IMHO the best solution ever and the only one possible is
    TO RESPAWN AT THE FARTHEST SPAWN FROM THE LOCATION YOU SANK
    instead of spawn next to the event wich makes people be more careful, for example, if the event is on the middle of the map and your ship sinks then you spawn at the island that is more far of that position, lets say on west are 4 islands and east are 5 islands, you spawn at the 5th island, instead of spawning at the island next to the place your ship was sank.

Changing server and that stuff just add more stress to a already overloaded server.

Also IMO as of right now because of mainly the absurd spawn so close after sinking it brokes the game experience a lot just to mention a few:

1. There isnt any reasson to take care about the ship wich get us to-
    2. People tend to kamikazi like rushing straight to ships sinking themselves without even try to shoot wich get us to-
    3. They spawn next to where they sank and repeat until they sink yours wich get us to-
    4. You do the same wich get us to-
    5. A very bad experience about repeating all these points until one of the ships get that bored to give up wich can be hours wich get us to-
    6. The game isnt meant for that cluster "hell" garbage.

Another big issue is there isnt any penalty for dying other than wait like 30 seconds, if it were at least 2 minutes it should be a easy fix for now.

Now if they wanna fix it the fix is pretty simple really:

They make ships spawn at the farthest location of where they sank no matter what happened.
    They increase the time to come back when a player die to 2 minutes.
    And that is basically it, its very very simple and fixes a HUGE problem not to mention how good get the game experience in general.

This is not really the place for a drawn out discussion so I will be quick.

Spawning further away on death is definitely a good solution to the problem.

However the longer death time might not work as well. There is already nothing to do while waiting for the doors to open, waiting even longer is going to make it very frustrating. If you count the death time and the loading time it is already a fairly long wait. Long enough for players to have taken all your treasure and run off.

The main other element that needs to be added to death is that the destruction of a ship should spawn flotsam barrels. And, in my opinion, their contents should be completely unrelated to what the ship was carrying. Just make a standard barrel spawn.

This solves two problems:

• The winning ship gets a chance to resupply right then and there (while grabbing some well deserved loot) to be ready for the next fight.
    • And this provides some small reward for sinking a ship that didn't have any loot. The reward isn't so good that you would want to sink every ship you run across (supplies can be found anywhere and a ship battle might cost you more than you get) but it gives some reward for being the victor in an open-pvp game.
  • @khaleesibot Nice a lot of stuff sorted, very happy to be back on the seas with the changes to performance, I appreciate it as much as a pirate appreciates a parrot - Subtle nudge ;)

• Thanks for the update. Anyway - is there any type of proxy/cache for windows store? I have 4 computers at home network for my children and me and this patch should light up our internet line.
    I have tried copying the windowsapp/microsoft.something folder with game but without success (permission issues or so).
    I already have proxycache for steam and uplay on my linux router and it works great - only first computer in my lan have to download update/game, the rest of computers downloading it from "local" cache - and i'm not talking about pirating the games - all of the rigs have their own accounts and in this particular scenario their own xbox game pass subscription - i only need to make updating faster on all of my computers.
    Anyone has solution for this?

• Why is this 20 gigs when it's only a handful of bug fixes? Am I missing some sort of content they're adding? I hope so, I have to uninstall another game just for the update..

• @munchkin993 Agree on that can be annoying making it longer.

Yeah i also find it pretty weird that you sink a ship and there arent any barrels with the ressources they had floating, if the ship at least stay there so we can loot it ok but the moment it sinks it dissapear wich is frustrating.

Exactly.

• is it the same size on pc? im still trying to figure out what version i am on, because i can't see the version ingame or in that stupid windows store. when i click on "check for updates" it tells me the game has already been updated (with something) but i dont think it downloaded the whole 19GB everyone is talking about. so, how do i know im on 1.01 or not?

• @gaddsp there are many uncharted islands S/16 is one of them

• Good update!
    But how about adding in game Join/Leave group notifications? I don't understand why this game was released without such an important thing!

• seagulls over barrels, this is going to make me mad, probebly, after finding barrels all the time

• Microsoft store was an annoying s**t, i got Error while download.... i spend my whole day for DL that damn update and with theses bugs i have to re-download everything AGAIN....

• @khaleesibot said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.0.1:

Ahoy there Pirates!

One week on from launch, we're keeping you up to date on the issues and ideas that are taking priority! Get the latest from Studio Head Craig Duncan and Sea of Thieves Executive Producer Joe Neate.

Release Notes - 1.0.1

This is a full game update as opposed to just a patch. It contains a wide array of fixes across our services, stability and game experience. We felt the priority here was releasing the improvements to our player base. For our next client update, we plan to send out a much smaller patch size.

--

Download size:
    Xbox One: 9.99GB
    Xbox One X: 18.97GB
    Windows 10: 19.53GB

Xbox Installation Instructions can be found here.

PC Installation Instructions can be found here.

Fixed Issues

• Players who have redeemed their Black Dog Pack pre-order code will now correctly see these items in their in-game chests. Not received your code? Check your Xbox Live messages over the next couple of days.
    • Characters should no longer lose details such as hair colour and scars.
    • When digging up a chest, there is no longer a chance that it will be impossible to pick up
    • Players should no longer intermittently be missing items and weapons when loading into the game
    • Weapon, clothing and ship cosmetic changes made after migrating server will now persist across sessions
    • Players will now correctly see other players titles
    • Snakes will now behave correctly, turning to face the player when agitated
    • Animal and skeleton movement around slopes has been improved
    • The game will no longer enter an unresponsive state after accepting a game invitation whilst matchmaking
    • Merchant Alliance notifications for handing in various items have been corrected
    • Lighting has been tweaked in order to improve performance on multiple islands and outposts
    • Fixed tinnitus sound which persists after being killed by multiple explosive barrels.
    • Seagulls now fly over floating barrels.
    • Players can no longer be held by a seemingly invisible Kraken tentacle.
    • Fixed a range of potential game crashes.

Performance Improvements

Significant performance optimisations across all platforms, specifically targeting the 4K native resolution of Xbox One X.

• Drastically reduced the likelihood of tearing when using the small ship.
    • Reduced the likelihood of tearing when inside the Taverns.
    • Sizeable framerate improvements when traversing large islands.
    • Reduced likelihood of framerate hitches when navigating outposts.
    • Optimised Foliage for smoother experience in overgrown jungle areas.

Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.

Known Issues

• Player gold and reputation can be delayed when cashing in a reward.
    • Player achievements can be delayed.
      For an update on both of these issues, please read our Launch Update written by Executive Producer, Joe Neate.
    • Bounty quest skeletons sometimes do not spawn or cannot be found.
      If you encounter this bug, a potential work around is to sail away from the island until it’s out of range, and then sail back in to trigger the Island Name banners.
    • Joining a player whose ship is parked at an active skeleton fort will prevent the joining player’s radial menus being opened.
    • Rare Lore Items throughout the world will read in English, regardless of current language settings.
    • "Hunter of Cursed Crews", Commendation is not updating.
    • Players may become comically smaller after fighting the Kraken.

Coming Updates

Thank you all for your feedback on our previously discussed Coming Update, Death Cost. Due to your passionate comments, we have decided not to move forward with this feature. Thanks for the honest feedback & discussion on this!

That covers the release notes for Release Notes - 1.0.1

When will Rare be updating their game to add additional content to help it not feel like 50% of a game? What is your road map for future updates so the community can know what to expect? What if any additional content is coming to this game?

• @ntz07 Honestly I would recommend refunding and saving your money until this game receives major content updates. It is a shell of a great game but unfortunately is not worth $60 currently in my opinion but may be in the future once they actually add to it to make it a full game. If I could refund I would but unfortunately the Microsoft Store will not allow me.

• Now that many of the larger bugs are resolved, I think it would be appropriate for you to provide some sort of short term road map. I know you are planning on reacting to user input and you have said you are mulling it over currently so when do you intend to share your thoughts on those? There have been a lot of great suggestions by the community and so far we've really only heard word of one planned update, "Death Cost", which has already been shot down.

At this point there is very little indication of plans to improve longevity which is by far the largest concern by the community as a whole. I really enjoy the game, but please share plans to address this sooner than later.

• 20 gb of a patch? Really?? [mod edited] Really? And only bug-fixing and "improvements". This itself speaks loudly enough in what poor shape you launched the game in the first place! And the worst part is that those fanboys are satisfied with this.
    I bet they added the content secretly about being the pirate legend right now in this patch. Otherwise I will be amazed of how badly this game is! 20 GB OF FIXES MAN. There are some games that are 20 gb in total size and have 10000 times more content and less bugs than this "game". After every single reviewer in the world told you that this game lacks content you just ignored that and keep us all in the dark and giving us even hope when we will receive the first real content inside this game! (DON'T TELL ME IN THREE MONTHS!). Tell is what this content will be before all of the people who are with xbox pass cancel it and kill this game. I will see you in 4 months when this game costs 20 euros. Have fun grinding.

• @cpt-juicyy

First I wanna say that I love this game. The stuff it has now is awesome, and it does have TONS of potential. But I didn't pay $60 for potential, I paid $60 for a game where you can do more than 3 types of repeatable missions, the raid, and sailing. I honestly can't think of anything else you can really do other than oddball c**p like getting drunk. On a huge island you're lucky if you find 1 chest and a message in a bottle. That's a GOOD haul for an island right now, and the time it takes to get anywhere and explore it for those tiny things isn't worth it. Especially when you can lose it all on the way back. I don't need tons of loot, but f*s put other stuff on the island. Literally anything. Lore, more stuff to interact with, anything. The game feels SO lonely. So empty. They created this amazing sandbox with all these awesome places but didn't put anything in it. And it's a "make your own fun" kind of game, I appreciate that, but the tools you have to make that fun are extremely limited. If this was a $30-$40 game I'd be happy with it and being patient for more stuff, but like I said I paid $60 for it, and $60 is a AAA price, and atm it's not a AAA game. It's not unforgivable to say there should be more for that price. Everything they have in it is amazing and there will be more but they should have charged $30 for it and added $10-$20 DLC's. Or just released it later. Rather have waited.

• @papasohan I know it is like betas. But I liked when suddenly you find barrels in the middle of the sea and you have to decide if you want to stop or not in seconds.

• @guepard4 I found it to be a pain in the a*s, because we usually noticed the barrels as we were running over them and by the time the anchor drops they are way behind us.

Views
152 out of 384