IPG needs some improvements

• I believe that to improve the player's experience to find the character he would like (without wasting so many hours), some filters should be added to the IPG to facilitate his search, for example, a gender and age filter, because a person who is decided to play with a female character does not you have to waste time looking at a bunch of male characters you'll never consider choosing.

Furthermore, certain characteristics chosen in the IPG should not be immutable. Makeup is a good example of this, at least for me it doesn't make sense for your character to be stuck in a face paint if he's not wearing any of the existing makeup in the game, another thing is the eyebrow, which should be treated in the same way as the hair, being able to change and dye it in another color.

Sorry if there are any mistake in the text, english is not my first language

Views
  • imo they should just completely scrap the IPG, it doesn't really benefit anyone...

New players are forced to either sit there for a loooong time until they get something good, or just settle with something they don't care for.

Old players (mostly the fashion addicts in the sot discord) optionally sit there for an even longer amount of time looking for a perfect character.

Being "unique" on the seas died with costumes and the change to gold curse that forced it to be the same for everyone. Might as well go the full way and let us have characters that we actually like; because my desire for my pirate to have orange eyes like Eleanor's is growing stronger every day but there's no way I'm ever rerolling my pirate now.

• without wasting so many hours

It is the players problem and fault if they waste more than 5-10min. If you have gone hours to find a perfect looking pirate. That you the user and player issue.

Stop making something simple into a problematic thing. Hurry up and jump into the game.

• @gallerine5582 You could say that if uniqueness died with costumes, why bother invest time in changing the IPG?

A large percentage of players likely roll a character in 15 minutes and then play the game, never needing to interact with the IPG ever again. It's only a small subset that has an obsession with how their character looks that is really bothered by it. I doubt it's enough of a concern to even get it onto Rare's radar of issues worth pursuing.

• @burnbacon

It's not a problem or the player's fault to want a character that he truly likes, besides, having a character that you appreciate is one of the ways you can connect with this game, especially since it's a game all about getting cosmetics to customize your pirate (and ship).

I've been looking around the internet and I've seen a lot of complaints about the character creation system, old and newer threads, so whether it's in the minority or not I don't know, but the developers should think about those people who care about this. Remove completely the IPG or at least give greater freedom for the player to find what would make him happy, without needing a forced acceptance because he didn't find anything better, because the way it is now it's unfeasible to have to waste hours and more hours, which could be hunting treasures, just to have the bare minimum.

• @d3adst1ck And while it's only a small amount that obsess over the looks of our character, it can only benefit everyone else that doesn't. It's possible a bunch of people use costumes because they don't like their pirate but don't want to spend hours in the ipg looking for something that isn't missing 90% of their teeth, and looks like a planet or a twig. It would be a lot better for players joining in to just be able to create a character they actually like instead of just "making do with what they got".

Scrapping IPG is only positives if it means getting a creation system that actually lets you;
    A) Preview your character better (closeup shots, change outfits before selecting, and god forbid let use rotate things on our own)
    B) Lets you change things beyond clothing, even if it's just tiny bits like eye color, natural scars, natural makeup
    C) BARE MINIMUM, an optional filter things like gender, age, size, like OP said. If someone is coming into the game with something in mind, they're never going to choose anything else.

The current IPG system wastes the time of players who are into fashion, or have something in mind, or is just another annoyance to get out of the way for players that don't care that much, but I imagine with an actual character creation side of things, a lot more people might care.

• @gallerine5582 You're ignoring the main negative, which is dumping many hours of development time into a feature that is intended to be used for 15 minutes of a games 100+hr time investment. It's likely why they have never done anything else with it - the return just isn't there and their time is better spent adding new features that are going to be used by a bigger subset of players.

I'd be surprised if the amount of time spent in the IPG is even a quarter of what was spent in Arena, and we all know what happened with that.

• @d3adst1ck Man I swear y'all haven't ever heard of a "QoL update" or something... What about the development time they put towards the quest board, or sitting, or fireworks, or MOUTHS MOVING WHEN YOU SPEAK WITH A MIC. Were THOSE all good uses of development time? The quest board, abandoned within the week. Sitting, something people might use when there's NOTHING ELSE TO DO, but only for a couple of minutes at most. Or fireworks that are literally DESIGNED to last SECONDS and realistically do nothing more than look pretty. I'm willing to bet none of these things took a couple of hours to develop, but yet there they are in game. I guess we really gotta make sure that 100+ hours we put into the game look as terrible or rough as we can make it.

I swear sometimes coming to the forums is so pointless... #1 place to suggest things but there are always people coming along with 100 reasons it shouldn't be added, even just small changes like actually being able to make a character you like.

Apparently, this is a hot take to this forum: not every suggestion has to be groundbreaking, mastermind, wheel reinventing, 6-head, never seen before changes developed by rocket scientists and greek philosophers.

Sometimes it's nice to just have things changed so it's a little easier for new players and something nice to see for the old players... is it really that hard to ask for something small once and a while...? I give up.

• @gallerine5582 said in IPG needs some improvements:

@d3adst1ck Man I swear y'all haven't ever heard of a "QoL update" or something... What about the development time they put towards the quest board, or sitting, or fireworks, or MOUTHS MOVING WHEN YOU SPEAK WITH A MIC. Were THOSE all good uses of development time? The quest board, abandoned within the week. Sitting, something people might use when there's NOTHING ELSE TO DO, but only for a couple of minutes at most. Or fireworks that are literally DESIGNED to last SECONDS and realistically do nothing more than look pretty. I'm willing to bet none of these things took a couple of hours to develop, but yet there they are in game. I guess we really gotta make sure that 100+ hours we put into the game look as terrible or rough as we can make it.

I don't think those were good uses either, but they are at least repeatable and integrated into regular gameplay.

• @d3adst1ck said in IPG needs some improvements:

@gallerine5582 You're ignoring the main negative, which is dumping many hours of development time into a feature that is intended to be used for 15 minutes of a games 100+hr time investment.

What are you on about? You dont stop using your character when you create them... thats when you start using them. So this feature is intended to be used for 100+ or 1000+ hours, not just "15 minutes"

I think it's clear to everyone that considering how often these threads come up (all the time) the community wants beter character creation mechanics.

• @alienmagi You're not using the IPG for 100 hrs. If you consider the IPG as integral to the full life of your character, then the current feature set seems to be doing it's job for the majority of players who have never touched it again after the first roll.

If they want to expand the functionality of it, fine by me but don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

• @d3adst1ck
    But have you ever thought about the possible reasons why some people never touched IPG again? For example, there are people who would like to be able to breathe a different air and play with another type of character, but they don't because they like the current one and if they wanted to go back to the old character it would be IMPOSSIBLE to find them again on the IPG or they simply don't touch in the IPG again because they don't want to repeat the same torture of spending hours looking for something better, with chances of not liking it, because there are some details that you often can't see due to the character's pose or because they are very small and you can only notice them when you are playing with the character. Just by analyzing these two situations, it is possible to realize how much the IPG is limiting and that it needs to be reformulated or removed to provide an improvement in the happiness of the player

• @atlanta9380 More likely they are happy with what they have and do not have a need to reroll.

• The IPG was designed to take players out of their comfort zone. It was designed to make characters "not perfect". They want to pick a character with flaws and problems, that's why it is the way it is.

The "perfect" characters, the ones without scars, all of their teeth, and balanced proportions are the bad pirates. They are the anomalies in the system. If anything there should be a zero roll that prohibits characters from having 0 flaws. Make it so all of them have something wrong and remove the "perfect" character all together.

• @d3adst1ck
    So you're just ignoring a group of people who think like that, I've seen people asking for an extra slot to be able to switch between two pirates or have a way to save the old character before changing to a new one, I've also seen people sad because they regretted it to change their character and even abandoned the game because of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, having a character you like is one of the ways to connect emotionally with this game, if you or other people don't think that way, that's fine, but that doesn't exclude the fact that there are people who care with that and use it as motivation to keep playing, even more so if you have no interest in pvp and are only playing for the cosmetics

• @atlanta9380 I'm not ignoring that group, I'm saying it's a minority of players. Small enough that this is not a priority for Rare, which is why they haven't done anything to the IPG in over 4 years now. They like the way it works, it does the job adequately enough, and don't see the value in spending time messing with it.

That's all, as tough as that may be to hear.

• captain-coel said in IPG needs some improvements:

The IPG was designed to take players out of their comfort zone. It was designed to make characters "not perfect". They want to pick a character with flaws and problems, that's why it is the way it is.

The "perfect" characters, the ones without scars, all of their teeth, and balanced proportions are the bad pirates. They are the anomalies in the system. If anything there should be a zero roll that prohibits characters from having 0 flaws. Make it so all of them have something wrong and remove the "perfect" character all together.

💀lil bro out here actively making the problem worse
    it's too late to follow the "they're never perfect" thing because some people have already got it and now it's just unfair to everyone else lol

• @gallerine5582 The "perfect" pirates were never meant to be a thing. That what people need to understand about the character models here. Good Enough is supposed to be the standard. My character is a day 1 pick. tool me like 5 min. I love him. He's got flaws and scars. He's goofy as he'll looking. I would never change him. I was an advocate for people able to reroll their pirates to give people the option so they didn't it and start over.

But I also dont think they need to cater to the small group of people who want to try and create a flawless pirate.

• In an ideal world, or really, most games that customize your character upon creation, randomization of a character generator's features are supposed to be a supplement to a character creator, not the whole feature in of itself. I don't think I should care about how jacked up my pirate became before it ended up on Old Sailor's Isle. When I eventually start realizing I could create an amazing set of clothes, I want my pirate to actively looks stunning in it for fun fashion/photo sessions.

For the amount of freedom in this sandbox world you lads like to promote, I'm surprised you guys are actively trying to limit such freedoms in something as free-form as a character creator.

Views
10 out of 19