Adventures gone wrong

• Tell me your best stories of your adventures on the seas gone wrong! I love hearing some of the wild tales of this game.

As it stands the best adventure gone wrong for me is simple but the way it ended humors me still.

I was chasing after a ship and they were fairly lazy with sails so i could catch up easy enough, and they just went any direction that was away from me, so i corralled them towards the skeleton fleet to give them more things to pull their attention, the chase was going great! until i decided to cut through an opening in a small island that was shallower than i thought... I got totally beached, they got away, and i died on that island from lack of breath laughing! What an awkward death story to tell the ferry man.

Views
  • Having played with so many random people in open crew I have a book's worth of unfortunate, awkward, strange, and unusual outcomes in adventure

I also have so many epic fails over the years it's difficult to even focus on one, it's like a goulash of poor choices mixed with unfortunate luck/game issues

There have been many times where I sank literally pulling into outpost/reapers or got stuck and it despawned for one reason or another

So many times when I was inexperienced and got wrecked by tuck plays

There was a point in time where I didn't know there was a stove on the sloop so I would sail all the way back to the outpost to cook a few fish and then back to the sea post

None of it was for nothing, my knowledge about the environment all comes from the times I messed up, made poor choices, lacked experience, took silly risks, lost and failed over and over.

• I logged in last night to do the adventure, realized I didn't have enough time to do all the sailing around let alone do the finale, so I logged off. sad trombone

• @wolfmanbush I avoid open crew just cause i have seen a lot of what it offers, and what little i tried definitely didnt go well, but i can definitely see where that comes from.

The bit about despawning tho, reminds me of a streamer buddy of mine when he did a 24 hour stream on the seas, and the short bit i was joining for it, the ship vanished just as we got an ashen athena, but before i got on, they did shores of gold, and before fighting the gold hoarder some one forgot food on the stove, they barely saved the charcoal husk that was their ship.

• @goldsmen said in Adventures gone wrong:

@wolfmanbush I avoid open crew just cause i have seen a lot of what it offers, and what little i tried definitely didnt go well, but i can definitely see where that comes from.

The bit about despawning tho, reminds me of a streamer buddy of mine when he did a 24 hour stream on the seas, and the short bit i was joining for it, the ship vanished just as we got an ashen athena, but before i got on, they did shores of gold, and before fighting the gold hoarder some one forgot food on the stove, they barely saved the charcoal husk that was their ship.

I view my time in open crew as the most significant of my learning, my training as a pirate

How to captain, how to communicate in a more positive and productive way, observing how others react, how they pirate, learning their interests.

My significant amount of time solo allowed me time to process and implement the valuable lessons from being around random people, where it's not perfect but it's real.

What I loved about being around random people in an open crew environment is that it's a game but it's not as much as social game, it's just an adventure. It wasn't based on contrived social scenarios it was just random people reacting to real randomness and it was beautiful in that way.

Although many of the individual sessions might not have been wonderful, the entire picture was, in ways that I personally think gave me valuable experience that I can now use in my own approach, as well as something to offer others that are going through an issue during their journey in scenarios I have traveled through.

Views
4 out of 5