A big issue I have with the game

• I don't want to spend two and a half hours doing a quest for someone to come and sink me.

I want to spend one and a half hours doing a quest for someone to come and sink me.
    The quests take two long, and some of them (like the vaults) can be quite boring. I don't want to do one of the lame quests like x marks the spot that are quicker, either.

Views
  • didn't they just release captain's quests that range from short to time consuming?

sea forts are decent enough loot for the time

random loot gathering is decent, island to island sort of thing

plenty of ways to plan out an efficient and lucrative approach to a session

• Try Sea Forts or shorter Captain's Voyages. Both are easy ways to make some money and reputation in ~45 minutes, especially if you have an Emissary flag raised.

• What quests take two and a half hours? Even a Thieves Haven run takes less than that.......

• Imagine Nick Kyrgios complaining:

I don't want to spend year after year, training and practising; go to Wimbledon, defeat many other players in qualifying rounds, and in quarter-finals and semi-finals, only to be beaten in the championship round by a better player. The Wimbledon competition takes far too long.

Sea of Thieves is a GAME. An online multi-player, competitive GAME.

Games have winners and losers. Non-competitive computer recreations perhaps should be called toys: "Computer Toys", "X-Box Toys", "Online Toys", etc. It's hard to think of any non-competitive computer recreations, to be honest. Perhaps Minecraft - at least in some modes.

But Sea of Thieves is definitely a "Game". Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. There are strategies to minimise losses; such as keeping a better watch for other ships in the world, and for Reapers on your map; selling often rather than stacking; etc. But, sometimes, all players get beaten by a better player. It's an online game, after all -- not a "toy".

• That is a big issue? Hate to see what you consider a small issue.

Two hour voyages, what in damn hill type of voyage are you doing? Heck even one hour?

Unless it an Athena voyage which can be about an hour at best but none of the other three factions are that long.
    Length of a voyage depends on the player themself, how you sail to the island and how long it takes you. You! To find the X, riddle, and defeat some skeletons.

Just you.
    Of course, there are those fortress that have loot and you can finish those solo in under 20min, grab and run

As for being sunk….I can’t answer this without feeling like a broken record. You know the words, keep an eye out on the horizon.

• You clearly are pretty new yet I've seen a flurry of posts from you ranting about all the changes needed in the game to make it easier for you. It's not meant to be easy. I'm not trying to be toxic but basically the solution is for you to get good.
    Practicing voyages you'll get better/more efficient at them, they won't take you hours to do and that in turn reduces the risk, I can go for long periods without seeing another ship but I still keep track and spot them proactively (and I enjoy pvp and can hold my own).
    Not trying to be harsh here but the entire game doesn't need to be overhauled because your experience isn't easy enough. If you don't see the potential and are not enjoying it,maybe it's not for you.

• If you dont want to do X marks the spot quests or vaults, no one is forcing your hand, you can just... not do them.

• After a certain point, most of the PvE is just monotonous and not in any way difficult aside from the repetition.

I wish they would find a way to introduce legend of the veil type voyages to all the factions...in the sense that it's challenging while also upping the risk/reward tremendously.

OOS is about as close as it gets with the Ghost Fleet Voyages, just wish they were more challenging and more rewarding.

• @burnbacon said in A big issue I have with the game:

That is a big issue? Hate to see what you consider a small issue.

Two hour voyages, what in damn hill type of voyage are you doing? Heck even one hour?

Unless it an Athena voyage which can be about an hour at best but none of the other three factions are that long.
    Length of a voyage depends on the player themself, how you sail to the island and how long it takes you. You! To find the X, riddle, and defeat some skeletons.

Just you.
    Of course, there are those fortress that have loot and you can finish those solo in under 20min, grab and run

As for being sunk….I can’t answer this without feeling like a broken record. You know the words, keep an eye out on the horizon.

I mean it takes me like 2 hours to do a vault, how can I speed up the process???

• @boeing7876500 said in A big issue I have with the game:

@burnbacon said in A big issue I have with the game:

Just you.

I mean it takes me like 2 hours to do a vault, how can I speed up the process???

Im not sure how the process can speed up, im not sure what your doing that could take a quest that worst case without getting attacked, takes about an hour max, and some how adds an extra hour ontop of that, what do you do when you do a vault quest? what level vaults do you have?

• @goldsmen said in A big issue I have with the game:

@boeing7876500 said in A big issue I have with the game:

@burnbacon said in A big issue I have with the game:

Just you.

Im not sure how the process can speed up, im not sure what your doing that could take a quest that worst case without getting attacked, takes about an hour max, and some how adds an extra hour ontop of that, what do you do when you do a vault quest? what level vaults do you have?

One time me and my friend did a vault. We found pieces of the map and once we got to an island we were SURE was the island we needed to go to, and we found the spot we were almost certain were we had to dig...and we ended up wasting most of our time trying to find it. We dug and dug again but to no avail. Seriously. We checked mutiple times and knew we were at the right place but WE COULDN'T FIND IT! biggest time waste of my life ;(
    sometimes you get unlucky with these maps :(((((

• @goldsmen said in A big issue I have with the game:

I just use the compass to find the pieces. My vaults are silva.

• @boeing7876500

You don't have to get all the pieces for the map to the key. That can save you a minute or two. There's even a doot for doing it in one piece of map if you get the x on the first try. A Brig will get you from island to island faster, might even intimidate some sloops away so you can focus on the voyage.

• @pithyrumble said in A big issue I have with the game:

@boeing7876500

You don't have to get all the pieces for the map to the key. That can save you a minute or two. There's even a doot for doing it in one piece of map if you get the x on the first try. A Brig will get you from island to island faster, might even intimidate some sloops away so you can focus on the voyage.

Well I always get Xs on the last piece consistently.

• @boeing7876500 vaults shouldn’t take more than 45 mins on the longest end. I’d say if they’re taking upwards of two hours that more inexperience than the quest being long.

• @boeing7876500 WHAT? two hours? are you going from island to island just guessing where the vault piece is?

• Think the issue here is that new players are engaging in outdated quests that nobody does anymore which is not your fault. Old voyages need a serious revamp for gold to time ratio.

• @goofythescot said in A big issue I have with the game:

What quests take two and a half hours? Even a Thieves Haven run takes less than that.......

Legend of the Sunken Kingdom probably comes close, but it's certainly not a quest you would do every day.

As well it's not exactly all or nothing. You should gradually sell loot as you progress. Just keeping the quest chest safe is the tricky part.

• @shady-espresso said in A big issue I have with the game:

@boeing7876500 WHAT? two hours? are you going from island to island just guessing where the vault piece is?

no I use the compass.

• Short term fix: Personally get better at doing voyages faster.

Long term fix: Personally get better at sinking other players.

• @rougual said in A big issue I have with the game:

Short term fix: Personally get better at doing voyages faster.

Long term fix: Personally get better at sinking other players.

for long term I would completely customize an efficient strat based on strengths and enjoyment.

My approach has been to carve out what is right for me and then leave a lot of wiggle room.

I'm never bored, ever and never have nothing rattling in my mind about the session, ever, while producing and getting results. I allow the randomness to happen, adapt to it, ride with it

The priority being adventure and I just let the pve and pvp fall where it falls.

Disciplined adventure where there are always goals but never requirements, no obligations.

I never work on 1 thing I work on 5 things or 10 things or 20 things at a time.

No expectations of players or pve, constantly adapting, moving on quickly in action from things that don't work out.

Boredom in a free environment with many things to do comes from a insufficient amount of discipline in approach. Discipline in approach keeps people busy with their goals. Doesn't matter what the goal is, no matter how big or small or in what category.

An example of my current session is meg/kraken/skelly ships/shipwreck/sea forts/random voyage completions. So I take that implement it, let the pvp fall where it falls, constantly have those in my strategy and they all eventually end up in results. If something becomes an issue I go on a new server and hit it again. In between I hit those rogue milestones.

• @goofythescot if you have a crew yes

• @surveyorpete said in A big issue I have with the game:

Imagine Nick Kyrgios complaining:

Actually, I don't have to imagine it, because that's exactly what Nick did for most of his career - complain! It's only recently that he has shown some resilience and consistency; for years he was the very definition of a rage-quitter.

However the analogy is still sound: Pirate Boeing might be going through their early-Kyrios stage, where everything just seems too hard. Hopefully, with a bit of perseverance, they will find rewards aplenty, just like Nick.

• @boeing7876500 Then why does it take you at least two hours?

• I'll take your game issue over mine... at least you get to play for 2 hours. I get anywhere between 5 - 50 minutes before the damned thing freezes.

• Yar, that be the pirate's life, savvy?

• @surveyorpete SoT is a an online sandbox game with competition in it. It is not a competitive game.

Don't confuse the two.

• is it two hours to complete a single voyage? or multiple to the point where you want to sell?

If it is just you stacking and getting sunk at the end, sell more often.
    If it is literally taking 2 hours for a single voyage, go to youtube or something. Fort of Fortunes can be completed in half that time. Practice speeding them up.
    And eventually you'll be able to fight off other ships, so keep going at it.

• @boeing7876500 I made 100k after 3 treasures while running OOS emissary. It did not take 2 hours. Sea forts are convenient. A merchant lost shipment voyage takes 20 minutes and makes 40k. If you don’t want boring you should change your point of view or try PvP.

In the devils roar I would make 80-100k per hour doing ashen vaults. If we were fast it was 40 minutes.

• Confession: I just remembered that the session that took me 2 hours I may or may not have spent attacking/running from a reaper who was chasing me.

• This game was nominated for the "Better with Friends" award on Steam, for a reason. It turns out this game can get pretty boring with a smaller crew, having a larger crew to do voyages with might make these voyages more enjoyable because you can do such things as: talking, managing the sails, steering the wheel, cooking raw food, playing instruments, firing off to islands to gather more supplies for the crew, etc.

Long voyage length is a valid complaint in my opinion, but not doing voyages is probably the better way to go about activities in SoT because they can be quite boring and formulaic without some excitement, and the value from those voyages are also pretty meager, depending on your reputation and promotion with the trading companies in question.

Views
4 out of 32