25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane

• More than half the price of Sea of Thieves (when it isn't on sale, when it's on sale one ship set costs more than the game itself) for one set of ship pixels in a video game. I know most cosmetic shops like to target whales who don't look at prices and just buy everything, but this is too much. I'd be happy to spend some money on SoT beyond the 40 Euro already spent on buying it, since i play it a lot, but i'd like some pretense of value for money rather than blatant middle finger prices.

8 Euros is a good price point for a ship set. I'd actually buy a few rather than none. Change the rest of the shop too, 50 cents for one emote is more than enough.

Views
  • You... you do realize these proceedings aren't just greedy corporation scheming this time around, right?

Sea of Thieves is a Game Pass Game. Most of its visiting players are paying about $1-$16 purely to play this game for about a month and then leave it. These proceedings from the emporium seem to go towards the numerous artists for the game (especially the designers of these lovely shipsets) and help fund future content updates that definitely give those game pass players more reason to revisit the game again for pretty cosmetics and ship sets, and maybe something new to do as well.

If you want a certain shipset so badly, feel free to wait for an emporium sale (which by pattern as of late, seems to be the Seasonal Community Day) and grab what you're looking for.

• @nex-stargaze So because some people play it on gamepass, people that pay 40 bucks to play the game should be confronted with the same insane shop prices?

This community day 1 ship set went on discount. There's 1 community day per season, which can take 3-5 months. Could be years before the sets i want go on sale.

• Companies are often presented with a choice on how to do their pricing. One of those choices is selling at a higher price and getting fewer sells vs selling at a lower price and getting more than “fewer sells.” A few things will be taken into account when deciding which is the “more sustainable” structure for them. A few things will go into deciding which of these methods to use, including the cost of offering said product and also what price other companies are selling a similar product at. Sometimes companies decide to go against the grain and sell cheaper even though the market at the time is for higher price items, but other times they stay within the customary pricing scheme everyone seems to be using.

Unfortunately Rare appears to be following the current main stream pricing schemes. Maybe it’s part of their requirements as a subsidiary of Microsoft, we can’t know for sure what goes into the decisions in the end.

What I do know is they try to make it a little easier on their customers by offering ways to get Ancient Coins just by playing the game. A lot of games don’t even offer that. I do wish the prices were lower, then I definitely would buy more often, but I still get the opportunity to buy things “without cost to me” if I save up my Ancient Coins that I accumulate throughout the season.
    And look at this last Community Day… that definitely wasn’t motivated by profit. I know people who got literal thousands of Ancient Coins that day, enough to buy full collections from the Emporium. I haven’t seen another game do anything like that before.

• @hefty-henri ohhh...you paid 40 dollars? How cute...when it came out, I paid 70 Euro

These shipset prices are the same as 2 years ago when the emporium got introduced...so why is it a problem now?
    Just wait for discounts, which happen regularly
    Also remember there are ancient skellies...if you find enough of them, you can have those sets for free, or at least cheaper

• @hefty-henri said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@nex-stargaze So because some people play it on gamepass, people that pay 40 bucks to play the game should be confronted with the same insane shop prices?

This community day 1 ship set went on discount. There's 1 community day per season, which can take 3-5 months. Could be years before the sets i want go on sale.

Yes, you can either passively earn ancient coins through the game pass or with ancient skeles if your lucky, and either get it for free if your really patient, or use what you got for free to reduce the price of said items... If you can get something thats 25 euros for reduced price or even FREE if you just take the time to do so, then there is nothing to complain about, its not like its some pay to win feature, its cosmetics that do nothing but nook pretty.

You dont NEED to spend money to get it RIGHT NOW. Take some time, earn some free ancient coins, and then its barely different from taking the time to earn a difficult cosmetic that takes a while to unlock, i have gotten 2 pirate change potions, a pet, and some sails on just free ancient coins alone.

• Hi! Whale here! I have everything that the Emporium has offered so far, minus a few pet skins.

Happily supporting my favorite game so that I can continue sailing. 😊

• @galactic-geek not sure if that’s the best thing to brag about tbh.

• I guess thats the beauty of it being completely optional right? You don’t have to buy it.
    And all the updates in this game are free so you’ll never be content locked if you decide to never use the emporium.

I do wish we’d get more free cosmetics though.

• Sea of thieves is free (if you have gamepass) I think this is how they justify the ship cost. Basically I don't think it was ever intended for people to whale it up and buy EVERYTHING in the emporium. But I have played with lots of whales who just gotta catch em all. I am sure Rare is very greatful for those people. This game is thriving because of them.

But I think the way they see it is if a gamepass player comes in and plays long enough to buy even just 1 ship set then that makes up for the fact that they didn't pay the retail price of the game. That being said I bought the game at full price and a 2nd copy at 50% off because when solo slooping I ran into some bugs that ruined my play session because I had to reconnect to fix the issue and there was no one on my ship to join back in on (and the reconnect feature didn't exist) I later learned how family share works and that I could have had like 4 other accounts or something under 1 game purchase.. Silly me. Oh well.

• @ninja-naranja said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@galactic-geek not sure if that’s the best thing to brag about tbh.

Well, alright then. I guess I won't mention how much I just donated to the SoT Galley of Grub Twitch streaming fundraiser so no kid goes hungry then. How could I call myself a teacher and a gamer and not do it!?

• Agree with most here.

A couple things that haven't been mentioned though:

Plunder pass. An inexpensive way to support the game AND get emporium cosmetics (including ship items) on the cheap.

Community Day. The discounts have been mentioned, but there are also increased chances of ancient skellies. Can easily play for a bit of time and "earn" that emporium set.

Combine Plunder pass (new pass per season) and community day (one per season with increased ancient skellies) and you can literally get every Plunder pass with its emporium items, for free, every season with some predictability and ease. PLUS get enough ancient coins to get yourself something extra special once or twice a year. With casual playing effort alone.

So the cost for folks who want more, or faster, or extra.... Completely reasonable.

• The prices for ship sets and weapon poses are ridiculous.

Otherwise, it’s reasonably priced.

• You dont have to buy it....
    just saying.

• I have over 12 thousand hours

I've seen and done just about everything that exists on this game and in the random environment

had I never bought a thing, that would still be possible and without any loss to the experience, still experienced all the community connections, still unlocked all the free cosmetics I've earned and been rewarded with

Still be able to talk about the game and the environment on the forums which I enjoy

that's an incredible thing

Whenever I get to thinkin' "it's getting pretty thick in there on a consistent basis" I stop for a moment and think about that. Then I don't have any issues with it.

• I enrolled in the MS Rewards program and earn about $10/mo. I squirrel it away and use it on either the Plunder Pass (which is only every three or four months) or anything I like in the Emporium (especially when it's on sale). Keep in mind no one is expected to buy every ship set in the game - buy only what you really feel a connection with - then it becomes valuable.

• @ollieoxenfree said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

I enrolled in the MS Rewards program and earn about $10/mo. I squirrel it away and use it on either the Plunder Pass (which is only every three or four months) or anything I like in the Emporium (especially when it's on sale). Keep in mind no one is expected to buy every ship set in the game - buy only what you really feel a connection with - then it becomes valuable.

Only $10/month? I get $100/3 months through the same rewards program. 😋

• @galactic-geek said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@ollieoxenfree said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

I enrolled in the MS Rewards program and earn about $10/mo. I squirrel it away and use it on either the Plunder Pass (which is only every three or four months) or anything I like in the Emporium (especially when it's on sale). Keep in mind no one is expected to buy every ship set in the game - buy only what you really feel a connection with - then it becomes valuable.

The $10/m is an auto redeem they offer that technically gives the best price per point, and if you’re not interested in maximizing your income of points then it’s a great choice. I just do the daily gamepass and Xbox app rewards, no searches or quizzes or anything and it pays for the auto redeem option each month. There was a time I used to work for every point possible, don’t personally bother with it now.

• @abjectarity said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@galactic-geek said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

The $10/m is an auto redeem they offer that technically gives the best price per point, and if you’re not interested in maximizing your income of points then it’s a great choice. I just do the daily gamepass and Xbox app rewards, no searches or quizzes or anything and it pays for the auto redeem option each month. There was a time I used to work for every point possible, don’t personally bother with it now.

Oh I used to those surveys and the searches. Zip codes were fascinating to go through lol. I was in the 100k range searching 1, 2, 3 so I didn't repeat searches.

I don't miss doing it. I don't spend enough on movies and whatever else to get the good points either lol.

That being said. 50$ US for the Lodestar Set, Collector's Items, weapons, cat and spyglass 😁 worth it

• @galactic-geek Wow - that's crazy! Of course, I'm not maxing out my searches every single day... I usually do enough to earn the $10 auto renew. I have enough grinding in my life! lol. What are you doing each month to earn that much?

@galactic-geek Wow - that's crazy! Of course, I'm not maxing out my searches every single day... I usually do enough to earn the $10 auto renew. I have enough grinding in my life! lol. What are you doing each month to earn that much?

probably purchases

not really a way to do it without some sort of purchasing of something

because of my extreme personality and focus on habitual discipline on these types of things I earn just about every effort related point on these from pc/gamepass/phone/xbox and I think I hit like 30 or 40 on the top end

I'm around 1 million 400k points total for the account 1710 day streak

@galactic-geek Wow - that's crazy! Of course, I'm not maxing out my searches every single day... I usually do enough to earn the $10 auto renew. I have enough grinding in my life! lol. What are you doing each month to earn that much?

I play on average 5 different games a day - I build up off the daily, weekly, and monthly MS points.

• @galactic-geek said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

I play on average 5 different games a day - I build up off the daily, weekly, and monthly MS points.

there are the daily search points from pc/phone
    gamepass points from quests for the month
    1 achievement a day points
    occasional punchcards for extra points

there aren't really points for just playing a bunch of games unless it's a specific game for a specific quest

there are more points if one were to buy games in general or specific games for punchcards

• @wolfmanbush said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@galactic-geek said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

there are the daily search points from pc/phone
    gamepass points from quests for the month
    1 achievement a day points
    occasional punchcards for extra points

there aren't really points for just playing a bunch of games unless it's a specific game for a specific quest

there are more points if one were to buy games in general or specific games for punchcards

Specific games, yes - but many of the games I play are Game Pass games on that list: Sea of Thieves, Rocket League, Minecraft, Grounded, etc.

• do it like me and dont buy it ,the only thing i buy constantly is the season pass,he has a point mtx is always designed for bait whales. the good thing is its not pay2win the bad thing is a lot cosmetics just go into the emporium instead of being unlockable or buyable with gold.for the gamepass its not my fault ms doesnt make profit with their gamepass.

• This is today's gaming, and it's sad to see that users accept it, bragging about maintaining the servers online LOL.

Never gave a single euro for emporium stuff, i bought the game that's all I needed to pay.

• @magus104

"Is free if you have the gamepass"

It's like

"This Car is free you if you have the keys"

• @tossico94 said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

This is today's gaming, and it's sad to see that users accept it, bragging about maintaining the servers online LOL.

Never gave a single euro for emporium stuff, i bought the game that's all I needed to pay.

People that bought the game 3 and 4 years ago have seen nonstop free updates, many of which were significant content updates

the people that have joined in the last year to 2 years have been benefiting from all of the updates right along with everyone else.

I'm not sure how much content people feel entitled to but it sure seems to me that people are getting far more content than they originally paid for

• @wolfmanbush The maintenance and constant free updates is what persuades me to consider emporium purchases. I'm not usually a fan of Shipsets or anything, but emotes and such, if they're good, i def buy. If i ever see a big item like a shipset, or crest, that i want, i'll put money towards it sure, but if someone doesn't want to pay money for a cosmetic, they don't have to. It's entirely choice, but it's the knowledge that buying a set you want out of the emporium does greatly support the devs and artists behind them that makes it more worthwhile imo.

• @silentkiller646 said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

@wolfmanbush The maintenance and constant free updates is what persuades me to consider emporium purchases. I'm not usually a fan of Shipsets or anything, but emotes and such, if they're good, i def buy. If i ever see a big item like a shipset, or crest, that i want, i'll put money towards it sure, but if someone doesn't want to pay money for a cosmetic, they don't have to. It's entirely choice, but it's the knowledge that buying a set you want out of the emporium does greatly support the devs and artists behind them that makes it more worthwhile imo.

It's an honest arrangement just like twitch drops are an honest arrangement between supplier and consumer, it's on the lower end of manipulation specifically between the two parties

this is the item, this is the clear requirement, take it or leave it

it's a clean arrangement imo so there isn't really anything to push back on in general

• Agreed, its even more if you want the collectors edition (read scam edition). It's way too much. People mentioning ancient skellies make me giggle, have played since day 1 and met maybe 3 ancient skellies which net you about 100 coins each. Also in case you guys wondered, there are plenty of other games on gamepass that don't feature microtransactions at all. Why? Because these companies are under Microsoft's umbrella, they get paid whether we buy PE stuff or not. 25-35 for a C O S M E T I C is too much, if you disagree you're the reason most games have these predatory ''features''.

Not to mention all the reskins that non-PE ship sets get. The neglect is insane.

• @wolfmanbush
    In case you forgot they released an insanely barebones game. If they didn't release these free updates their game would've tanked. No Mans Sky has released alot more content and they dont have microtransactions. Stop defending these practices.

• @strangeness
    Wish I thought of being forced to play on a specific day farming ancient skellies which may or may not spawn. Not just 1, but about 24. Thanks for the tip, dude!

• @booskijksr said in 25 Euros for a ship set from the Emporium is insane:

Agreed, its even more if you want the collectors edition (read scam edition). It's way too much. People mentioning ancient skellies make me giggle, have played since day 1 and met maybe 3 ancient skellies which net you about 100 coins each. Also in case you guys wondered, there are plenty of other games on gamepass that don't feature microtransactions at all. Why? Because these companies are under Microsoft's umbrella, they get paid whether we buy PE stuff or not. 25-35 for a C O S M E T I C is too much, if you disagree you're the reason most games have these predatory ''features''.

Not to mention all the reskins that non-PE ship sets get. The neglect is insane.

People that buy a companion for their immersive gameplay or a cosmetic that they like for a game that they spend a LOT of time on aren't the reason predatory practices exist in gaming lol.

People share cosmetics so crews can buy different pieces to make the whole, they can pick their favorite pieces and stick with those, something I have seen people do many times.

These cosmetics are not required to do anything within the game and there are regularly free cosmetics through drops/emissary rewards/events

Trying to put guilt on random people that aren't involved in your battle and just want to play a game while maybe/maybe not buying some cosmetics is a manipulative way to push back against company actions.

• @wolfmanbush
    In case you missed it we are talking about 25-35 euro ship sets, never once did I mention companions or other things like emotes and what not. I also never mentioned spending ALOT of time on the game as a prerequisite. 15 euros for the entire ship set should be plenty. (That includes the collectors editions).

Want to talk about Gilded Phoenix weapons by the way? ;)

Views
3 out of 54