Portal Hopping

• Isn't it a little OP that a Reaper 5 can sail through as many portals as they like, keeping their emissary status (Grade 5), and if there ain't no emissaries, they vote the Tall Tale checkpoint and sail back into the portal?

What if you downgrade the flag from 5 to 4,90? Or something just short of 5, so that you don't get an instant UAV when loading into the new server, just to leave it 10 seconds later because there was no emissaries.

You would only have to pick up a few pieces of treasure along the way to get back to Grade 5, but it will give emissaries and crews on that current server time to react to a Reaper 5 appearing out of nowhere.

Currently, there is no cooldown or no downside to portal hopping (compared to lowering flag and server hop the old way), other than loading through the portal, which everyone gladly does considered they keep their emissary status and all the supplies in the world.

Views
  • people hopping with a grade 5 flag is way healthier for the server overall than people hopping servers with no flag and just hitting targets quickly without contributing anything of treasure value

all portal hopping really does is take something that already happens a lot and adds a treasure item to the mix.

Having something to gain is much better than just getting picked off by a hopper crew without a 5 flag or anything else.

• @kashmero your right but Rare said it was ok so all the streamers are doing it, we have to check the map all the time and if one shows up we sell and do the same thing, we jump to another server we don't lose our flag and we can keep on going with all our supplies this is how the game is played now just do that and you won't lose anything, if they catch you off guard just dump your loot off the boat as they chase you around put the check point down and jump server loot is easy to get but I will not allow a server jumper to get my flag this is the way

• @atomicfire4098 Except when you use a portal to jump ship, per se', you're giving them a free flag. You keep yours as you go through the portal, but a duplicate is dropped into the water for them. So, you are actually allowing them to get your flag. 😅

• @wolfmanbush said in Portal Hopping:

people hopping with a grade 5 flag is way healthier for the server overall than people hopping servers with no flag and just hitting targets quickly without contributing anything of treasure value

all portal hopping really does is take something that already happens a lot and adds a treasure item to the mix.

Having something to gain is much better than just getting picked off by a hopper crew without a 5 flag or anything else.

Preach.

• @galactic-geek said in Portal Hopping:

@atomicfire4098 Except when you use a portal to jump ship, per se', you're giving them a free flag. You keep yours as you go through the portal, but a duplicate is dropped into the water for them. So, you are actually allowing them to get your flag. 😅

I believe this was patched and is no longer the case.

• @touchiertooth28 said in Portal Hopping:

@galactic-geek said in Portal Hopping:

@atomicfire4098 Except when you use a portal to jump ship, per se', you're giving them a free flag. You keep yours as you go through the portal, but a duplicate is dropped into the water for them. So, you are actually allowing them to get your flag. 😅

I was wondering about that actually. Are you sure? Can you share the patch notes when it occurred?

@touchiertooth28 said in Portal Hopping:

I was wondering about that actually. Are you sure? Can you share the patch notes when it occurred?

All I found:

Tunnels of the Damned

After leaving the Tunnels of the Damned as an active Emissary, a player’s ship will now release the correct Emissary Flag when eventually sunk.

Found nothing else with key world "Flag" so they haven't.

• @limend said in Portal Hopping:

All I found:

Tunnels of the Damned

After leaving the Tunnels of the Damned as an active Emissary, a player’s ship will now release the correct Emissary Flag when eventually sunk.

Found nothing else with key world "Flag" so they haven't.

That doesn't sound like a fix to me - at least not the 1 we're thinking of.

That doesn't sound like a fix to me - at least not the 1 we're thinking of.

It's not. It was the closest I found from all patch notes since S3 came out so they haven't "fixed" anything regarding it.

• I know for a fact that at least some Rare employees use g5 portal hopping themselves, so I can't imagine it going anywhere, regardless of our thoughts on it.

Some kind of server wide noise/effect could be kinda nice when a ship hops in though, so at least you know to check the table for a new reaper 5.

• @wsurftvveeds said in Portal Hopping:

I know for a fact that at least some Rare employees use g5 portal hopping themselves, so I can't imagine it going anywhere, regardless of our thoughts on it.

Some kind of server wide noise/effect could be kinda nice when a ship hops in though, so at least you know to check the table for a new reaper 5.

I don't know about server-wide, but certainly within a certain range, and not just for level 5 RBEs. There definitely is currently a distinct lack of any kind of fanfare or sign when going into or leaving a portal - they just blip out of and into existence.

• What’s OP about traveling over a portal?
    A grade 5 gold hoarder can do the same if being chased right??

• @burnbacon said in Portal Hopping:

What’s OP about traveling over a portal?

Yes, but they can't if loot is on board, which means if they don't go through it, then they must be worth chasing. 😉

• @burnbacon said in Portal Hopping:

What’s OP about traveling over a portal?

Every other trading company loses the loot they were trying to collect and all their voyages get scrubbed. The Reaper's Bones generally isn't hoarding loot and don't use voyages, so there is no downside for them.

• IMO after doing some skillful portal escapes lately while working on Athena ledger. The harder to level up the flag, the more beneficial the portal method becomes. Basically it's the most powerful for athena.

Just hit grade 5 and have a ship on your tail? Drive-by sell what you got, travel to a new server AND THEN collect your grade 5 voyage.

Reapers can honestly level up in near as much time as it takes to portal hop simply by doing either of the fleet events (plus the supplies gathered from said fleet) or a FoF. In less than 20 minutes, they are back at grade 5. The portal method means they are chained to whichever server they travel to for 6-7 minutes each time. Unlike the old method of a 4 player crew splitting up and hopping while looking at the map and tables each time for 60 seconds total (x4 players) means that method was over 25x more effective time-wise.

I think people more gravitated towards the PvE side of the spectrum that want their emissary bonus with zero risk are the first and loudest about players using portals in this way but they really should look at it as a positive thing for them as well.

Actually I'm mistaken.

• The fact that this isn't fixed and is abused as a feature is a terrible tragedy for this game.

• i just think sea of thieves isnt a fast snackable pure pvp game.sure sometimes i get also boring after 2-3 hours grind n nothing happen, but is it not also boring sinking ships n hopping servers like there is no tomorrow???

https://www.seaofthieves.com/release-notes/2.5.3#world-changes-text-item-1

2.5.3 patch notes has the fix.

There's a post for it in patch notes discussion here on the forums.

• @da-german420
    an insider and a founder reviving old threads
    claps

• @timedsatyr79799 just post it in the wrong thread a mistake you know, go clap yourself

• @da-german420
    well i have nothing to say except
    don't do that again please :)

• Ahoy maties!

As this thread was 9 months old and revived today, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
21 out of 24