Respawn time based on crew size/ship size

• I had an idea lately that the respawn time should be lowered for an understaffed ship.

tl;dr: I would suggest a factor of $crew_size/$max_ship_size to the current respawn time function.

I'm mainly a solo slooper and I doubt that anyone would disagree that this is the "hardmode" in SoT for various reasons.
    One of them is if your pirate dies in naval combat your ship likely sinks too. All it takes is one lucky cannon shot from your opponents and to Davy Jones locker you go.
    The method suggested above would be a small way to balance this out a bit. It would also help understaffed crews on bigger ships.
    In the table below are the factors based on crew size and ship size.

crew size| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
    ==========================
        sloop|1/2| 1 | - | - |
         brig|1/3|2/3| 1 | - |
      galleon|1/4|1/2|3/4| 1 |

E.g. a solo slooper would be able to respawn twice as fast; a 2-pirate brig respawn would take a third less, etc.

I think it should just be based on players in the crew and not based on crew members on the ship to make it hard to exploit the system.

What do you think about it?

Views
    feedbackgeneralcompetition
  • I quite like the idea, I think there is very little balance between a sloop and galleon especially - and this would certainly help some.

However, I use what was long touted as the “world’s most powerful console” (Xbox one X) and I can be sat on a black screen for literally minutes. I’d still be done for 😅

• Interesting idea.

But half the time goes just to the black loading screen, so that screen alone already makes it a problem for solo sloopers.

• @x-kurtis-o said in Respawn time based on crew size/ship size:

I quite like the idea, I think there is very little balance between a sloop and galleon especially - and this would certainly help some.

However, I use what was long touted as the “world’s most powerful console” (Xbox one X) and I can be sat on a black screen for literally minutes. I’d still be done for 😅

That's because the storage drive is slow. Even external usb 3.0 ssds are faster than the internal drive on that thing.

• solo slooper would be able to respawn twice as

Then everyone is gonna play solo and never form a crew.
    Later it gonna be two solo sloops alliance vs a single sloop and we be back to square one.

• @x-kurtis-o
    @super87ghost
    Yeah the black screen is a problem too but if you can't even start the respawn it will take longer notheless.

@captain-coel
    I don't think storage media is the problem here. If the game is reasonably coded assets that need to be loaded to VRAM for a respawn should already be cached in VRAM or RAM. (On most consoles RAM and VRAM are the same)
    I suspect long black screens happen when your ship is already sinking when you walk through the door at the ferry. Because the server then doesn't bother to spawn you back at your sinking ship and your client starts loading assets for the new location of your ship. And that will be loaded from storage media.
    Backspawns would happen if your ship starts sinking after you passed the door but before you load back.
    The reason why I think it is that way is that I have SoT on an NVME SSD and I'm still getting long black screens from time to time.

If this is true than a faster respawn would also mean less frustrating "stuck in black screen" moments

• @burnbacon
    I think you overestimate the impact of faster respawns and underestimate the power of number advantage.

Solo slooping would still be extra hard; for the fact alone that you can't do two things at the same time. E.g. shooting cannons while stearing the ship.

It's true that this system would decrease the value of a pirate kill for understaffed ships. You get a tighter time window to board or inflict ship damage when you kill a priate (again, only for an understaffed crew). I still think that would be fair and not a super OP buff.
    Even if it would be too good of a buff they could change the exact numbers to balance it further.

• @depressednof for sure long black screens still happen even with nvme drives, but the poster I was responding to is using an xbox one x. This game does some silly stuff and when I was using that console an external ssd improved my load times most of the time.

Views
feedbackgeneralcompetition
1 out of 8