Community weapon question: nerf a thing, buff another!

• I'm putting up this post because I'm tired of constant nerf posts and the usual, "Sword is bad, Double gun is bad" rants. Instead, i'll challenge you guys with this interesting question.

If you had to nerf or remove some weapon's feature, what feature would you be willing to buff or add instead? And why?

Doesn't have to only be the sword and guns necessarily. Can also be cannons, tridents, ashen winds skulls, kegs, blunderbombs, wraithballs e.t.c. As long as it's made to hurt another player, it qualifies!

Views
    questioncommunityjust for fun
  • I'd put a slight cooldown increase after the third sword swing when it's blocked

Maybe throw a half second invincibility to respawn, or respawn with 125hp that degrades down to 100hp after a second or two.

• I love the sword, my only wish is that it wasn’t quite as LONG as it has been lately.

I would boost the swords block ability to be a lot more effective and make it a more feasible thing to do in battle.

Oh and I’d boost the frequency of wraith balls by about 1000%.

• Fix hitreg and the weapons are balanced.

• There are plenty of people on these forums who will want to nerf the frequency of the chain shot… and as a solo slooper I understand their concerns. It can be devastating.
    However before that could be considered, I think we’d need 90% of the player base to sign a contract that they won’t run from every single fight. Until then, chainshots for everyone.

• @mostexpendable

I hate chainshot. But I'm not signing that agreement. 😋🧜‍♀️

• @mostexpendable said in Community weapon question: nerf a thing, buff another!:

There are plenty of people on these forums who will want to nerf the frequency of the chain shot… and as a solo slooper I understand their concerns. It can be devastating.
    However before that could be considered, I think we’d need 90% of the player base to sign a contract that they won’t run from every single fight. Until then, chainshots for everyone.

I can sign the contract, cause i scuttle if a ship gets close. Why run when you can teleport! 🙃

• I'd make a few changes to slow down hand to hand combat a bit. TTK feels a little fast in my opinion at the moment. It doesn't feel like pirates battling it out but rather 2 players bhopping around.

1. I'd add a slow down to the player while they are swinging their sword. (Make the player think about when they should swing)

2. If you successfully block a sword combo, the enemy has a short delay before they can swing again. (I think this already exists, but I'd make it a little longer. Again, make you actually think about whether to swing rather than just always slashing)

3. This one's gonna make people mad, but remove quickscoping/quickfiring from all guns. When you reload a weapon, you can fire just after the gun is cocked, but before the animation finishes. I think it looks janky.

4. Split gun reloads into seperate parts. Bullet in and the actual cocking of the gun. If you put the bullet in but cancel the reload, when you take the gun out again you don't need to put the bullet in again.

5. Make the scope in time for the EoR much longer. It's currently super good at quickscoping, but it's meant to be a sniper.

6. When a gun is out of ammo, primary firing will perform a weak melee attack with the weapon.

7. 0.5-1 Second respawn invincibility that is removed if the player moves or pulls out any item.

• @mferr11 said in Community weapon question: nerf a thing, buff another!:

I'd make a few changes to slow down hand to hand combat a bit. TTK feels a little fast in my opinion at the moment. It doesn't feel like pirates battling it out but rather 2 players bhopping around.

1. I'd add a slow down to the player while they are swinging their sword. (Make the player think about when they should swing)

2. If you successfully block a sword combo, the enemy has a short delay before they can swing again. (I think this already exists, but I'd make it a little longer. Again, make you actually think about whether to swing rather than just always slashing)

3. This one's gonna make people mad, but remove quickscoping/quickfiring from all guns. When you reload a weapon, you can fire just after the gun is cocked, but before the animation finishes. I think it looks janky.

4. Split gun reloads into seperate parts. Bullet in and the actual cocking of the gun. If you put the bullet in but cancel the reload, when you take the gun out again you don't need to put the bullet in again.

5. Make the scope in time for the EoR much longer. It's currently super good at quickscoping, but it's meant to be a sniper.

6. When a gun is out of ammo, primary firing will perform a weak melee attack with the weapon.

7. 0.5-1 Second respawn invincibility that is removed if the player moves or pulls out any item.

Niiice! I love these ideas!

• I don't think much change is needed, refinements is the better wording, my changes would be:

• Blunderbombs disrupting reload animations
    • Possibly increase cannonball speed so less loft is needed. It feels more like a mortar than cannon fire like you see in the PoTC films. (this isn't for balance or easier aiming, just a personal preference for aesthetics of cannon fire)
    • Nerf supplies on ships spawning so more scavenging/purchasing supplies are needed
    • Reduce the stun from sword. I'm sure this has been increased on the latest patch. I find myself getting stuck more when hit unless its just me being rubbish. Also sword seems to have extra wifi lately.
    • Sword block that actually blocks
    • Increase cost of supplies
    • Buff Sloop headwind speed slightly
    • Buff ship lantern lighting distance (not brightness)

These are just opinion, doesn't bother me either way if these changes were made, I enjoy the game regardless.

• On each ship have a mast be sturdier than others - basically the main mast needs more than one chainshot to be downed. Make it two chainshots or chainshot + 1 normal or something in between.

It's just one shot more to disable a ship completely but may change the battles that are now 1 chainshot + boarder equals sink (to put it simply).

• I would just make the sword have a smaller hit radius, the radius seems to be twice the size of the sword.

• I believe everything combat wise would be perfectly balanced if registration issues weren’t present. Since they are unfortunately present, combat is extremely unbalanced with blocks not working, unintentionally increased sword range, and bullets often not doing damage.

• @mferr11

Split gun reloads into seperate parts. Bullet in and the actual cocking of the gun. If you put the bullet in but cancel the reload, when you take the gun out again you don't need to put the bullet in again.

What a lad

• If you had to nerf or remove some weapon's feature, what feature would you be willing to buff or add instead? And why?

Nerf EoR's scope time to make it more long range weapon and buff flintlock.
    Flintlock is weaker version of EoR with faster reload time and shorter range. Its strength would be its hip fire which at the end of the day is quite useless due to EoR's extremely quick scope time.

• buff the pistol…add delay looking down scope with EoR…debuff the blunderbuss

• @mferr11 I agree with all of these, I think that the eye of reach should have an option to take off the scope, maybe taking some bullet drop from a regular eye 'o reach, so you have a mid range musket, maybe take a little damage off as well- say 65%?

• Nerf sword stun but make sword lunges slightly quicker to charge.

• @scurvywoof said in Community weapon question: nerf a thing, buff another!:

Nerf sword stun but make sword lunges slightly quicker to charge.

As a sword user, I approve!

• @el-spaniardchi said in Community weapon question: nerf a thing, buff another!:

@scurvywoof said in Community weapon question: nerf a thing, buff another!:

Nerf sword stun but make sword lunges slightly quicker to charge.

As a sword user, I approve!

Agreed! It would please those who are of the opinion that the stun is too strong (which I do agree with after having used the sword exclusively for quite a while now), and it would help sword users to close the distance better (distance actually makes the sword stun useless to me anyways, as I have to get close first before I can use it). In fact I might even vote for removing the stun entirely.

Views
questioncommunityjust for fun
6 out of 20