Character Customization

• Please give the ability to narrow down the randomness of the Pirate Generator. It is fantastic for finding new ideas if you don't know the type of character you want, but if you are searching for something specific, it is awful. I have spent upwards of 10 hours looking for a pirate I am happy with and have still had no luck. It stings especially to spend money on an appearance potion and have such difficulty getting the appearance I would like.

Views
    general
  • @evuninn Well, what are you looking for?

• The ability to change narrow down the search, gender, body type, that kind of thing. I have seen lots of characters that have a face I like, but not other features that bother me a lot, or vice versa. It is frustrating to have to skip over so much when there is no control. I want to actually have my pirate look pretty, but its hard when 90% of the random characters just look squashed or stretched or even broken. I know that for some people that is a good thing and the diversity is really cool, but dressing up well is a large part of the game for me, and that is diminished by the fact that I can never a pirate I am truly happy with.

• Also, the ability to view characters in the generator is somewhat frustrating, as you cannot see them fully it a large number of cases. A few times I have had what I thought to be a near perfect pirate, only for them to look extremely different in game, whether that be the concealing clothing, pose, or lighting? I am not sure, but having the ability to fully inspect a model would be immensely helpful.

• this has been requested alot and needs to be implemented…you should be able to create the pirate of your choice and not be held down to randomness…takes the fun out of the game

• I agree with inspecting the model, it's hard to tell how they actually look until you enter the game. However, too many filters kinda ruin the game's randomness and charm. Only filter i think it should have is a gender filter. That would be enough imho

• @evuninn said:

I want to actually have my pirate look pretty, but its hard when 90% of the random characters just look squashed or stretched or even broken.

You mean, like a pirate? 😜

I think your response perfectly exemplifies why it's set up the way it is. You want pretty. Most people want pretty. Everybody wants to be something better than what they are. But if everyone got what they want, then we wouldn't be a bunch of pirates; we'd be a bunch of Barbie prima-donnas.

Think about it though - even if your pirate isn't perfect-looking, he (or she) can still go on numerous adventures, have a story or a few to tell, build upon their own legend, and create memories. It's almost an allegory for life, except here your appearance won't necessarily give you an advantage.

That said, I do believe there needs to be more options for viewing - a zoom, the ability to rotate, or hold different poses or props, etc.

• @evuninn I fully support your idea, gender skin and weight are one of the things that the vast majority knows what they want before they even play the game, narrow it down would would still respect the vision of Rare and make players more happy.
    Im enjoying to see the randomness that no one looks the same but things like gender and skin tone needs to add choosed, and while were speaking about quality of life update for the character creation, switching poses and zooming in is a MUST!

• upwards of 10 hours looking for a pirate I am happy with

This mindset troubles me.
    I only spend 5min, that should be the limit to finding the “perfect” pirate.

A pirate that you only get to visually see ONLY when your emoting and viewing outfits.

• @burnbacon said in Character Customization:

upwards of 10 hours looking for a pirate I am happy with

This mindset troubles me.
    I only spend 5min, that should be the limit to finding the “perfect” pirate.

A pirate that you only get to visually see ONLY when your emoting and viewing outfits.

You dont see yourself 99% of the time in real life but that doesnt mean you dont want to look good, does it?

I cant imagine why that mindset would trouble you.

• SoT is all about how you look, so why not let us be able to have more control over it? Everything we purchase is cosmetic...for looks, that is all there is, but, we have limited control over how our pirate physically looks? Doesn't make sense at all and at this point, there is absolutely no argument against an expanded character creator considering that we can all buy costumes that make us look identical anyways.

• I do admittedly spend a disproportionate amount of time looking at my pirate. 😅

Views
general
8 out of 12