Sail customization. How it could work

• I believe we might have had threads about this. But I feel I have a good idea, to what we can do regarding sails in the sea of thieves.

We all love the DA sails, for the visibility, however for my experience I do feel it’s a bit sad, that we can’t use other great sails, unless we are willing on compromising on the visibility. Therefore, I got this idea for a viable solution, that would make the price of the DA sails fair while making this idea viable at the same time.

I’ve seen the suggestion of offering different sail types, which I do like the idea of.
    My suggestion would be as such:

Plain
    Tattered (sails that’s ripped/torn in places)
    Legendary (which is the shape as the DA sails)

You would buy most sails as a plain cut, but have the option to upgrade them, to tattered or legendary. (maybe it should be a tier upgrade where you have to pay for the tattered before you can go legendary) (and we might want sails that is locked to a certain look)

This should be according to your pirate reputation. Making tattered an option once you’ve gotten at least 15 promotions in either one faction or spread out in all the factions. While the legendary cut requires you to be pirate legend.
    (the tattered look could also have some other kind of requirement, where you have to unlock it by achieving a minimum amount in the game, less than becoming a pirate legend though.
    Unless tattered should be a pirate legend unlock, and the legend look only is available when you max out your rep in Athena)

However, this should not be free. And I would suggest that making this customization to your sails should either be a one-time purchase for all sails, for each option other than the standard. Or you pay for each sail you want to upgrade to the different cuts, so you just need to pay for the once you actually want to use and not all.

But instead of making this another gold sink, I was thinking of making this a thing you have to pay doubloons.

So I’d say if individual maybe make the price as such
    Tattered upgrade: 100 doubloons
    Legendary upgrade: 250 doubloons

But for a one time purchase for all sails maybe make the price as such
    Tattered upgrade: 5000 doubloons
    Legendary upgrade: 10.000 doubloons

Id Like to hear you guys ideas to this addition to this commonly topic on the forum, as I feel it might be more realistic, but I can also be really wrong xD

Views
    communityfeedbackgeneral
  • I don't like the DA sails and the so called "visibility advantage" is laughable.

Leave sails alone. Introduce other new sails with different cuts.

Have your cosmetic preference or your supposed advantage. Make a choice.

• Just let us pick our own cuts.

• @MadzieWolf Your narrow-sighted suggestion actually gives us less choice since there are already more cuts of sail as is now than with what your suggestion offers.

Just off the top of my head, sail cuts your idea wouldn't allow for:
    Kraken
    Eternal Freedom (Collector's Edition)
    Lunar Festival
    Rogue Tinkerer
    Paradise Garden (Collector's Edition)
    Golden Nile
    Jack O' Looter

...and that's not even counting most of the randomly torn sails that are up on offer either. 😅

• love the idea…allows for more customization…another use fot dubloons which is great…and now your ship could really stand out and not be the same as others…plus it adds something for pirate legends

• @galactic-geek here is your flaw all but two of those are in the emporium. 1 is in shop 1 was in a season pass. emporium stuff is separate on its own. just like the season pass stuff. however, anything purchaseable at the shipwright would be able to be customized. the kraken could easily fall under one of those categories. so no its not narrow mindedness.

• @madfrito99 said in Sail customization. How it could work:

@galactic-geek here is your flaw all but two of those are in the emporium. 1 is in shop 1 was in a season pass. emporium stuff is separate on its own. just like the season pass stuff. however, anything purchaseable at the shipwright would be able to be customized. the kraken could easily fall under one of those categories. so no its not narrow mindedness.

Why should it matter where it comes from? If you want the cut bad enough, you'll get it. If you don't, well, then such a feature probably won't be necessary then, nor worth the effort from the devs.

• @galactic-geek this game needs more and more customizable things. this wouldnt hurt at all

• @madfrito99 with this suggestion, almost every sail you see on the Seas would be the DA cut, because most people wouldn’t run anything else. More people would run different sails but they’d all look the same and have the same silhouette. Not to mention that a lot of sails are designed around the cut of its sail, and being able to change that would mess with the aesthetics and even the graphic on them.

• @ninja-naranja the developers can change the aesthetic for each type of different sail…wouldnt be an issue

• @madfrito99 the fact that you think changing 60+ sails wouldn’t be an issue tells me a lot. It’s never Just as simple as changing the shape of every sail.

Views
communityfeedbackgeneral
1 out of 11