[Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion

• Quote from Devs:

"but theres always the chance and your unease of seeing another sail on the horizon like you would expect if you were really in the pirate world. so that balance between having these rich pve adventures, while having the possibility of pvp encounters, that is what sea of thieves is, that is the heart of what sea of thieves is"

"We want to make the environment less frustrating, we totally should do that, but its not as simple as going we just do PvE and PvP servers and it will be fine, because that is kind of a solution that might work for a completely different types of games, but it doesnt work for Sea of Thieves"

Thats from the devs from yesterday. There is no more to say!

• @jollyolsteamed

Arena is literally a PvP mode.

Its in the name. Arena. Means youre going to fight in competition with another player/crew. It was in the marketing material with Demarco. And I can honestly say after doing it 100%, its a PvP mode. Plain and simple.

But keep trying to defend it..

• @lord-spark-0 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@jollyolsteamed

Arena is literally a PvP mode.

Its in the name. Arena. Means youre going to fight in competition with another player/crew. It was in the marketing material with Demarco. And I can honestly say after doing it 100%, its a PvP mode. Plain and simple.

But keep trying to defend it..

Its literally not though

And thats EXACTLY why arena died because it wasn't pvp mode

People have won arena matches without ever getting into any pvp

Your goal is to dig a chest and sell and defend your loot what part about this is pvp only?

It isn't its a condensed 15 min quick experience of sea of thieves for people who do not have the time to sail for 2 hours or more

• @jollyolsteamed

What do you mean people have never won a match because they didn't PvP? Oh you mean people that go AFK..

Cause if someone gets a chest and wins because they turned in a chest and nobody went after them (its likely two other ships or more were fighting each other in the distance).

So, because of PvP, players that avoided PvP won.. is what you're saying..

Your goal is to get the most points in a match. And if you ever did the mode, you get way more points in naval combat, than you do if you sail to get the chest.

Its a PvP mode. Have a good one.

Arena died for the reasons I posted above ^^. Thanks.

@jollyolsteamed

What do you mean people have never won a match because they didn't PvP? Oh you mean people that go AFK..

No i said "people have won WITHOUT doing pvp" by doing the pve objective like digging chests

Lets not twist words

Cause if someone gets a chest and wins because they turned in a chest and nobody went after them (its likely two other ships or more were fighting each other in the distance).

Yeah? By playing by the PVE objective what is so hard to grasp???

Is adventure pvp mode because the option to do pvp exists? Nope it is not same applies to arena

Your goal is to get the most points in a match. And if you ever did the mode, you get way more points in naval combat, than you do if you sail to get the chest.

Its not a pvp mode though but sure keep your delusional understanding of arena

It died because it wasn't pvp mode

I dont need to sit here explaining this to you

Wont have to because you wont listen to the facts

So arena = condensed PVEPVP mode

Nope

Interesting,

There wasn't a band of followers when Arena came out. Arena is not the core vision for SoT and never has been. (And I've gotten 100% commendation in Arena so I know all about it).

It is clear in their own stats that only 2% of the player-base actually play it.

No mega-thread ever created for the PvP side of aisle.

But PvE.. well that gets people going. Its fun to watch you all harp over and over about it.

PvP ==//== PvEvP.

The same is said that PvE ==//== PvEvP (per your own arguments).

Its the same, in my eyes. There were fears this would split the player-base in the beginning. And it didn't. In fact, people went back to Adventure largely. But Rare still puts servers up and did all that work for 2% in the end..

But I guess a lot of you would rather be rude to your fellow pirate telling them to 'uninstall the game', 'stop whining', and 'get gud'.

As far as I see it, this community on this topic is too heated for discussion. Probably a lot of people quit over this issue cause people that want to kill the other player ruined that experience for them.

So, another player lost whichever way you look at it.

I'd rather have more players playing the game. I'm not scared over this mantra of 'the core vision of SoT'. It will always be there. Just like Arena does its own thing against that vision and not really bothering anybody.

1. Arena is a big flop hence no more support.
    2. when one person leaves, 10 new players replace them.
    3. killing another player only ruins the experience when the killed person can't handle it. mindset....

@wagstr

I think you're missing my major point.

Most of the negativity from our community can be found in this mega-thread from the pro-pvp side.

None of these same people here ever really bombed threads and posts like they do here.

Basically, they advocate for PvP. Its crystal clear.

So anyone that just wants a PvE server for themselves and their friends to play, the argument is 'core vision = PvEvP'. But none of that phenomena was ever put towards Arena.

Arena has a niche following now not just cause Adventure is better, but because the devs didn't support it after launch. Combat in our game is terrible with the hit/reg system still broken (so PvP isn't even where it should be). And they only ever changed the mode once (many chest digs to 1 beacon chest). Plus the spawning on ships is so predictable (mainly on the sloop), where pirates just want to grief and spawn-camp over and over.

Of course youre going to end up with 2% if you're never going to add/support it in the future when Adventure is getting all the love.

PvE has much potential just like Arena (PVP) did when it came out.

No, I didn't miss your point, I just don't see it as you obviously do. People have different opinions and see things differently, that's cool. We advocate for PvP not being removed from the experience, not for PvP.

@jollyolsteamed has the truth of it imo. Thanks!

• @j0sh-bones

1. Arena only works well if the game design works well.
      Clearly, double-gunning has been a hot topic. Hit Reg and Backtracking are still bad (when Arena came out and now).

And I don't mean like server ping bad, there are tons of videos showing exactly how bad it is. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdX8eZQ5-Ys) Here is one in case you wanted a watch.

So if I'm going to play an Arena type game with that bad of a design, I'm gonna move on to something more into a game that does that better.

1. What do you mean when one person leaves 10 replaces them? You got any stats on that? (prove it) Are you talking about Arena (cause that number went down to 2% player base in that mode).

2. I agree that people are too salty when they die. But if they die when they should have because of point numero 1... thats a whole different argument.

• @jollyolsteamed said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@lord-spark-0 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@jollyolsteamed

No i said "people have won WITHOUT doing pvp" by doing the pve objective like digging chests

Lets not twist words

Is adventure pvp mode because the option to do pvp exists? Nope it is not same applies to arena

Nope

thanks for explaining the real functioning of arena to a person with 100% completion who should know how the game mode works.

@j0sh-bones

1. Arena only works well if the game design works well.
      Clearly, double-gunning has been a hot topic. Hit Reg and Backtracking are still bad (when Arena came out and now).

And I don't mean like server ping bad, there are tons of videos showing exactly how bad it is. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdX8eZQ5-Ys) Here is one in case you wanted a watch.

So if I'm going to play an Arena type game with that bad of a design, I'm gonna move on to something more into a game that does that better.

1. What do you mean when one person leaves 10 replaces them? You got any stats on that? (prove it) Are you talking about Arena (cause that number went down to 2% player base in that mode).

2. I agree that people are too salty when they die. But if they die when they should have because of point numero 1... thats a whole different argument.

player numbers are increasing. more players install than uninstall, it was an extreme example (ofc it's not 10:1).

• @j0sh-bones said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@jollyolsteamed said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@jollyolsteamed

Lets not twist words

Nope

thanks for explaining the real functioning of arena to a person with 100% completion who should know how the game mode works.

I wasn't talking to you though?

Ooh wait i see nevermind im just stupid xD cheers

• @wagstr said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@wagstr

Most of the negativity from our community can be found in this mega-thread from the pro-pvp side.

None of these same people here ever really bombed threads and posts like they do here.

So anyone that just wants a PvE server for themselves and their friends to play, the argument is 'core vision = PvEvP'. But none of that phenomena was ever put towards Arena.

Arena has a niche following now not just cause Adventure is better, but because the devs didn't support it after launch. Combat in our game is terrible with the hit/reg system still broken (so PvP isn't even where it should be). And they only ever changed the mode once (many chest digs to 1 beacon chest). Plus the spawning on ships is so predictable (mainly on the sloop), where pirates just want to grief and spawn-camp over and over.

Of course youre going to end up with 2% if you're never going to add/support it in the future when Adventure is getting all the love.

No, I didn't miss your point, I just don't see it as you obviously do. People have different opinions and see things differently, that's cool. We advocate for PvP not being removed from the experience, not for PvP.

Adventure wouldn't be affected.

Just like I don't go to Arena to have a PvE experience. I go there to have a PvP-orientated experience.

But clearly by many of you in this mega-thread, you're for PvP.

And 'people have different opinions and see things differently, thats cool'.
    Ugh, the former is true. The latter needs a lot of work with a lot of people in this thread. Cause clearly you cannot have an opinion without some lurker coming around trying to prove you wrong with nonsense.

@wagstr said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@wagstr

Proof?

Just like I don't go to Arena to have a PvE experience. I go there to have a PvP-orientated experience.

I go there to practise PvP in a zero risk environment. Others should do that more too by the sounds of it. Would save lots of tears.

I'm for a balance of PvP and PvE together. Wait... couldn't we call that PvEvP?

Ugh, the former is true. The latter needs a lot of work with a lot of people in this thread. Cause clearly you cannot have an opinion without some lurker coming around trying to prove you wrong with nonsense.

Too true! I've noticed that as well. Good job these opinions are just opinions isn't it. You think you can post a view on a discussion forum and nobody should question it then?

@wagstr

Bit of advice

Dont want people to comment on your opinions?

Keep them to yourself but then i must ask if you dont like having your opinions questioned why are you even in a discussion forum?

• @wagstr said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@wagstr

Proof?

I go there to practise PvP in a zero risk environment. Others should do that more too by the sounds of it. Would save lots of tears.

I'm for a balance of PvP and PvE together. Wait... couldn't we call that PvEvP?

Too true! I've noticed that as well. Good job these opinions are just opinions isn't it. You think you can post a view on a discussion forum and nobody should question it then?

I mean imagine having the audacity to even as much as contemplate to discuss on a discussion forum i mean whats wrong with people discussing things on a discussion forum behave people 🙄

• @wagstr

1. Proof. Its already been proven with the launch of Arena. Adding a new mode doesn't affect Adventure. Adventure didn't collapse or suffer because of Arena.

2. So you go there to 'practice PvP'. So it is a PvP mode. Thanks for your added support on the matter.

3. I agree that PvEvP is a good thing. Thus, I'm not worried that people that want a PvE server are going to take away from my beloved Adventure mode.

4. I mean, a lot of people are passive-aggressive. You seem to be that way. I wouldn't describe it as 'cool'. I would rather have people try to discuss these without being interjected by lurkers like Jolly over there.

1. Proof. Its already been proven with the launch of Arena. Adding a new mode doesn't affect Adventure. Adventure didn't collapse or suffer because of Arena.

Because there is no overlap. If there is no overlap with a PvE mode, no problem. There is only a problem if you want a PvP-free Adventure clone.

• @d3adst1ck said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

Because there is no overlap. If there is no overlap with a PvE mode, no problem. There is only a problem if you want a PvP-free Adventure clone.

Thats a big IF. I've seen a lot of PvE threads and posts that are not really asking for a mirror world for PvE. I can agree that whatever the PvE mode would be, it shouldn't be a mirror copy where they get the same rewards as those who risk playing against other pirates.

I think you're simplyfing the core PvE-person to that one argument. I wouldn't necessarily say that's all of them. Most of them probably left the game cause they don't want to PvP at all. So, they would probably return if they had something to play without PvP.

• @lord-spark-0 I would say that most of the requests on this forum are exactly that; they want to do the adventure mode without PvP.

@wagstr

I think it's you who missed my point. Arena in no way competes with Adventure. These people want literally PvE only adventure mode. They would not be happy with an Arena style PvE mode with a sea dog type faction to grind. They want to be pirate legends without the legend bit..

1. So you go there to 'practice PvP'. So it is a PvP mode. Thanks for your added support on the matter.

I never said Arena does not contain PvP thank you, you got me mixed up with someone else. I do think it is not solely PvP though, more of a condensed adventure mode in a very small area. A bit like if you had 25 ships on a normal map.

1. I agree that PvEvP is a good thing. Thus, I'm not worried that people that want a PvE server are going to take away from my beloved Adventure mode.

How would you make a PvE server without having it either:

• Single ship only..

• Recoded virtually from the ground up to remove player damage and all of the variables associated?

1. I mean, a lot of people are passive-aggressive. You seem to be that way. I wouldn't describe it as 'cool'. I would rather have people try to discuss these without being interjected by lurkers like Jolly over there.

Does passive aggressive mean that somebody isn't agreeing with you?

Look at jollys post count then come back and tell me he is a lurker again lol..

• @wagstr

1. Arena never had and never will compete with Adventure. So its safe to assume that a PvE mode would follow suit with this. You asked the question for proof, and I provided a good example of that. I haven't 'missed your point'... you asked a question.

2. I never said you never said Arena doesn't have PvP. I'm clearly identifying Arena has a PvP-orientated experience. Adventure mode has PvE. The only PvE aspect in Arena is 'dig a chest' which is soley put there to have players fight over it.

When you play adventure mode, you return chests to get gold for cosmetics. Thats the gameplay loop. Its not put in Adventure soley for a pirate to come and take it from you. Otherwise, all chests in Adventure mode would have a beacon on it.

Thats why Rare (or the contractors that changed the mode for them) put a beacon on it...

1. How would I make a PvE server? Hmm, interesting question. I think Tall Tales would be better suited for something like that than what we have. Cause I've encountered new players that are on a Tall Tale and I leave them alone so they can enjoy that content (and largely cause theres no incentive to pirate them as they typically don't have anything to steal).

2. Passive aggressive is what you do, repost a huge reply thread, and add an extra line in there of your own in a passive aggressive way. Thats a bit different than having an opinion. So lets cut the poo, eh?

And this point isn't aimed directly at you per say. But definitely Jolly and others like him (and I've seen him for over a year bombing threads of the same topic), cause he has nothing better to do but try to win a fight against nobody.

• @d3adst1ck

I disagree. I think a lot of those people want to play a game without PvP. They love the ships, the world, and doing things.

Most of the Tall Tale complaints were around the fact that people couldn't actually complete them because they were getting griefed (which was a big part of why Rare made save points for them).

• @gunner-rat

Weird. In all that context of your podcast quote, I don't see the word "spawn-camper" anywhere.

@wagstr

1. Arena never had and never will compete with Adventure. So its safe to assume that a PvE mode would follow suit with this. You asked the question for proof, and I provided a good example of that. I haven't 'missed your point'... you asked a question.

I take it you have seen all of my posts where I have argued that a tall tale server would be an excellent compromise? Just not an adventure clone with PvP removed?

1. I never said you never said Arena doesn't have PvP. I'm clearly identifying Arena has a PvP-orientated experience. Adventure mode has PvE. The only PvE aspect in Arena is 'dig a chest' which is soley put there to have players fight over it.

Like all of the PvE world events in adventure mode are designed to facilitate PvP encounters you mean?

When you play adventure mode, you return chests to get gold for cosmetics. Thats the gameplay loop. Its not put in Adventure soley for a pirate to come and take it from you. Otherwise, all chests in Adventure mode would have a beacon on it.

No, players can choose to raise emissary or do world events and draw PvP to themselves or they can keep their heads down and quest in relative peace once they work out how to.

Thats why Rare (or the contractors that changed the mode for them) put a beacon on it...

1. How would I make a PvE server? Hmm, interesting question. I think Tall Tales would be better suited for something like that than what we have. Cause I've encountered new players that are on a Tall Tale and I leave them alone so they can enjoy that content (and largely cause theres no incentive to pirate them as they typically don't have anything to steal).

Most players I know do the same, certainly the crews I sail with only attack emissaries, aggressors or reapers .

1. Passive aggressive is what you do, repost a huge reply thread, and add an extra line in there of your own in a passive aggressive way. Thats a bit different than having an opinion. So lets cut the poo, eh?

We'll leave that for others to decide. I think you are a bit prickly to be honest..

@wagstr

2. So you go there to 'practice PvP'. So it is a PvP mode. Thanks for your added support on the matter.

3. I agree that PvEvP is a good thing. Thus, I'm not worried that people that want a PvE server are going to take away from my beloved Adventure mode.

4. I mean, a lot of people are passive-aggressive. You seem to be that way. I wouldn't describe it as 'cool'. I would rather have people try to discuss these without being interjected by lurkers like Jolly over there.

My man here wants a decent and friendly discussion while he outright calls people "lurkers"

Maybe practice what you preach brother before you go name calling like a manchild and complaining about people not being nice

I was being nice up until the point you started calling people lurkers don't go playing no victim card as if your an innocent saint

What comes around goes around and all that

• @wagstr

1. No I haven't. I dont have the time and patience to go through 150 pages to search through all that. I merely came here to post my opinion before the week/close comes. That's all.

And to no surprise the same names are here just constantly living here. Its pathetic.

1. I'm talking about Arena, not Adventure. So why are you deflecting? Its not really a PvEvP experience when they design the only PvE experience to be lit up visually and on the map at all times to encourage players to... fight over it.

2. See, there is some middle ground to this issue. But the lurkers here have no filter or compromise. Glad you see it this way.

3. You can think whatever you want. But at least I'm trying to speak to you respectfully.

• @lord-spark-0

I don't think I have been disrespectful to you either, we have engaged in healthy debate. You have been disrespectful to others when it was not warranted though.

I am not deflecting anything, you stated adventure is PvE orientated and I think that is a commonly misunderstood facade, virtually everything in there is to facilitate player encounters. Not necessarily fighting, just encounters.

• @wagstr

Again, I was talking about Arena. Arena is a PvP Mode because its a PvP-Orientated experience.

Adventure is clearly a PvEvP mode, I already made that clear through my other posts.

• @lord-spark-0

Like I said, Arena failed and should not have probably happened for all the trouble it has caused, the lobby is (was) a cesspit. They won't get bitten twice..

• @wagstr

Arena is still in operation with 2% of the playerbase. Its incredibly small, but it still has people playing it. I was surprised recently on how quickly matchmaking is.

Compared to the lower percentage points on a lot of the content Rare has added, it is doing better in engagement. Glitterbeard only gathered 0.4% of the according to the achievement records. That's just one example of things not getting enough attention as intended..

And that's a do it once and never again kind of content. Arena is repeatable.

• @lord-spark-0

Just to say there may be the same posters posting on this thread but in my case certainly I couldn't give a hoot about most of the mundane stuff that gets posted about on the forum, this topic is something I feel strongly about because in my opinion if they added PvE (adventure clone) servers it would skew the balance of the adventure servers and eventually ruin the game and I have yet to hear any argument that remotely convinces me otherwise. On the offchance the devs do actually pay notice to this thread I will keep posting my opinion because as you readily admit, nobody bothers to read back even one page so that part of your argument is moot.

Interesting,

There wasn't a band of followers when Arena came out. Arena is not the core vision for SoT and never has been. (And I've gotten 100% commendation in Arena so I know all about it).

It is clear in their own stats that only 2% of the player-base actually play it.

No mega-thread ever created for the PvP side of aisle.

But PvE.. well that gets people going. Its fun to watch you all harp over and over about it.

Harp over what? Rare says it’s not happening. Only people harping at this point are people who can’t accept it. So much so Rare decided they needed to address PvE server issue for the I lost count how many times now.

PvP ==//== PvEvP.

The same is said that PvE ==//== PvEvP (per your own arguments).

Its the same, in my eyes. There were fears this would split the player-base in the beginning. And it didn't. In fact, people went back to Adventure largely. But Rare still puts servers up and did all that work for 2% in the end..

You leave out a huge factor in your argument that makes it null and void and that factor is Arena was never a carbon copy of Main Adventure. Arena as you know since you are so familiar with it you can only rank in Sea Dogs and you can not reach PL. I do not see anyone here opposed to a PvE mode that is like Arena in regard to be a separate not copy mode of Adventure.

Also by the way it’s not 2 percent of player base play Arena pretty sure the stat is the player base spent 2 percent of their time in Arena.

But I guess a lot of you would rather be rude to your fellow pirate telling them to 'uninstall the game', 'stop whining', and 'get gud'.

I have seen a lot of good advice given out here. However if the game is causing someone so much emotional distress that they need to come to forums and lash out at strangers then maybe they do need to uninstall it.

As far as I see it, this community on this topic is too heated for discussion. Probably a lot of people quit over this issue cause people that want to kill the other player ruined that experience for them.

So, another player lost whichever way you look at it.

I'd rather have more players playing the game. I'm not scared over this mantra of 'the core vision of SoT'. It will always be there. Just like Arena does its own thing against that vision and not really bothering anybody.

Yes the core vision will always be there , devs made it very clear. There need be no more back and fourth which is why a Rare employee stated this thread will be closed.

Again the Arena argument doesn’t work.

• @riptiderando said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@gunner-rat

Weird. In all that context of your podcast quote, I don't see the word "spawn-camper" anywhere.

Hi,

Not really weird, you have just made a small error; simply because the quote I use is after the part he mentions spawn camping.

Furthermore - this thread isn't about spawn camping per se and the main thrust of his argument comes after that. Granted spawn camping can cause issues for some people who probably don't know how to scuttle.

Cheers

Views
5218 out of 5293