[Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion

• @cptphteven said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@bloodybil said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@xpvtx said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

I think there should be PvE Servers and PvPvE Servers.

Here is the basic argument of both sides:

PvE Player: I want to sail with my friends or solo, enjoy the view, do some quests/tall tales, discover some lore, look for Easter eggs, and do a bit of treasure hunting in peace.

PvP Player: I want to find the above players, kill them, and steal all of their stuff.

They are both fun and they both have a place. I don't understand why we can't have both.

Just make the PvP Servers more rewarding than the PvE Servers by reducing the turn in value on PvE Servers by 50%. If it kills the PvPvE Servers, reduce the value by an additional X%, then take a look at the data. If there isn't an even split between servers/players, reduce it again by X%. At some point you will find that magic number where people are willing to "risk it" on a PvPvE server for the much greater earning potential. Hover around that number and you'll be able to retain both the PvE Player and the PvPvE Player and grow the player base organically.

I think the "no progression" aspect of the custom servers will be perfectly fair already personally. If anything, a small % of gold, and no rep or commendations whatsoever, no need to trial and error until the game population balance is already spoiled.

Nah, It should just be "tall tale mode" (similar to Arena), have it's own tall tale reputation, and maybe even currency. You want a chill sailing adventure without PvP? Do tall tale mode work on a tall tale. It would still have meanignful progression, but not interfere with the whole gold / loot issue.

And, if it turned out that that was enough to interfere with the PvEvP ecosystem then that means there was a SEVERE problem with the PvEvP ecosystem already that needs to be addressed.

Sure, a short separate experience of a few tales with it's own faction and a couple of cosmetic sets, mirroring arena and the sea dogs company would would be the best thing, giving an incentive to play it for everyone.

Just saying that in the meantime, custom servers can have that purpose for people that don't want to bother with PVP. (With rewards being directly proportional to the risk and difficulty of that particular mode: none)

• @bloodybil said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

PvE Player: I want to sail with my friends or solo, enjoy the view, do some quests/tall tales, discover some lore, look for Easter eggs, and do a bit of treasure hunting in peace.

PvP Player: I want to find the above players, kill them, and steal all of their stuff.

They are both fun and they both have a place. I don't understand why we can't have both.

Just make the PvP Servers more rewarding than the PvE Servers by reducing the turn in value on PvE Servers by 50%. If it kills the PvPvE Servers, reduce the value by an additional X%, then take a look at the data. If there isn't an even split between servers/players, reduce it again by X%. At some point you will find that magic number where people are willing to "risk it" on a PvPvE server for the much greater earning potential. Hover around that number and you'll be able to retain both the PvE Player and the PvPvE Player and grow the player base organically.

I think the "no progression" aspect of the custom servers will be perfectly fair already personally. If anything, a small % of gold, and no rep or commendations whatsoever, no need to trial and error until the game population balance is already spoiled.

The problem with the no progress or commendations is that no one will use them making private servers completely worthless. I don’t care about gold or reputation as I am maxed out in everything but I care about commendations. My biggest fear is finally meeting the shrouded ghost on a private server and it not counting.

Rare has stated that private servers are mostly for streamers who want to set up certain events like a private arena match or something.

The no commendations is a dealbreaker for me using private servers.

• @lem0n-curry said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@cptphteven said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@glannigan said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

If you made PVE servers no one would play them. Sure they would be popular for a week...then the feeling of emptiness, loneliness, boredom, monotonous would set in.

Assuming this was accurate, why would anyone object to PvE servers existing? If nobody is going to play them, why would it matter?

A waste of development time. Time that could have been used for adding to and improvement of the Adventure.

From what the people looking for PvP are saying shifting the players who are just going to run away off the servers would be an improvement to adventure. If everything else held the same. 500,000 players or 5,000 players, there's still only 5 ships on your server at once.

• @coffeelight5545 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@bloodybil said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

The problem with the no progress or commendations is that no one will use them making private servers completely worthless. I don’t care about gold or reputation as I am maxed out in everything but I care about commendations. My biggest fear is finally meeting the shrouded ghost on a private server and it not counting.

Rare has stated that private servers are mostly for streamers who want to set up certain events like a private arena match or something.

The no commendations is a dealbreaker for me using private servers.

Who's to say you need to be forever making a cross on progression? That's the point of incentivising public vs private. One night you feel like playing quietly, you can. Another you feel more feisty and have friends available to play, want to take more risks and reap more rewards? You can.

That seems like a perfectly balanced way to give a reason to play both instead of forsaking one forever and go to another. That's how you prevent a split in the community. Can't have your cake and eat it too, either you want to play quietly or you take risk to progress, just like everyone else.

• Yeah just hurry up with the custom servers.

Once server owners or whoever pays has got their head screwed on they can figure out how to make it rewarding for those playing on it without even needing to ever give anyone a single gold coin or rep.

For some there might be reward enough simply to be left alone and enjoy doing the same skeletons/treasure/tall tales over and over without interruption. For others it might be enough to just enjoy the graphics and sensation of sailing a ship on a nicely rendered seascape and enjoy the tranquility. There are many many ways to get enjoyment from the game.

This is without even delving into having sailing races, drunken footraces, server events at specific locations with IRL giveaways, and so on. With imagination custom servers without in-game progression could be much more rewarding for huge amounts of people.

• How about giving pvp pirates structured goals that are only attainable through pve grinds? All of the dedicated pirates did the LSD/Triumphant Sea Dog cosmetics and titles grind in arena because they are exclusive items that you could be proud of. Bring that kind of structured grind into adventure mode where they offer pvp branded exclusive items that demonstrate your dedication to your playstyle. If you keep maximum level players engaged in pve, they will be less likely to solely ship hunt and pub stomp. At this point, gold and doubloons are useless to a majority of the veteran players; shift the paradigm away from the loot that newer players need and give the sea dogs something to work towards.

Idle hands are the devil's playground...

@lem0n-curry said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@cptphteven said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@glannigan said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

If you made PVE servers no one would play them. Sure they would be popular for a week...then the feeling of emptiness, loneliness, boredom, monotonous would set in.

Assuming this was accurate, why would anyone object to PvE servers existing? If nobody is going to play them, why would it matter?

A waste of development time. Time that could have been used for adding to and improvement of the Adventure.

From what the people looking for PvP are saying shifting the players who are just going to run away off the servers would be an improvement to adventure. If everything else held the same. 500,000 players or 5,000 players, there's still only 5 ships on your server at once.

Not seen that argument here ... Not much people here arguing for PvP-only either. Sure you are reading this topic correctly and not just making stuff up to, whatever you're trying to do ?

It seems you're also you're thinking of the players as a false dichotomy: PvP or PvE. I am sure there are players who are in an extreme position on the PvP/PvE scale but most (and the target audience for this game) are just that: players who want both, some days a bit more aggressive other days happy with the opportunity doing a fort with 9 other pirates.

With a PvE-server possibility and PvE-only players and commendation & achievement hunters flocking to that server, it would change the population of the Adventure servers dramatically. The average crew there would be more hostile, more ships close to each other, more fights, things would be harder to accomplish for PvEvP players &c, it would almost turn into the hyperbolic situation mostly new players complain about.

• I hope Rare would match people together who share the same behaviour and have a intelligent SBMM system in place.
    With how the community and the game have evolved it would raise the quality of most players experiences.

The "shared world" imho has failed, because there are too many sweats.

Yesterday i made my thing solo and when i was finished i saw a brigantine coming for me.
    I watched them shooting my sloop and didnt even repair, killed 2 of them and watched them become angry and toxic and also calling me names and how bad i am, when i was joking about them wasting ammo.
    These teenage loudmouth spoil the game for me too often meanwhile.
    There is no fun about it, because most PvPers in this game are just jerks.

• @stundorn the problem with categorisation is that you really do detract from the chances of unique interactions.

Individualism, not pigeon holing please, all day long.

• @troubled-cells said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@stundorn the problem with categorisation is that you really do detract from the chances of unique interactions.

Individualism, not pigeon holing please, all day long.

Devs have stated many times already that they want players with different motivations and different goals to mingle together in the shared world. It's an integral concept of the game.

@Stundorn Immature people of all ages can spoil the fun, it's up to old bugaboos like us to be the bigger men and women yeah? Keep joking with them and let their toxic words flow like water on a duck's back, and report them if needed.

• @bloodybil

my issue is, it really feels as if there is very much less "fun" encounters. including fun PVP with a ggwp at the end etc.
    when i play with the crew all is fine, when i play solo it feels as if i am a magnet to loudmouths.
    I dont react normally, because to not react is the strongest reaction to toxic trashtalkers and sweats.

old Bugaboo is gone, i play other games via MS so the name didnt fit anymore so i went back to my original GT.

• Simply put this game shouldnt be pve only.

It would get boring fast.

On a private server it is good u dont get progress, as you can do fun games in there

Skull ball

Pvp with friends

Races etc.

There must be a risk reward in the game or many it seems theres more pve players they themselves would get bored in reg adventure.

Pretty sure the game needs more attention then a pve only that majority of u would get bored of quickly .

Game has horrible hit reg issues.
    Cannon bugs.
    And many other things.

And we discuss pve only things? Makes no sense

• The biggest problem with PVP in this game is the community. There really is no friendly encounters within the game and the current respawn system with 0 spawn shield encourages spawn camping. It is a very toxic way to play and leaves the ship being camped with 0 ways to fight back and save their loot especially when your a solo player. There are quite afew players out there who play solo cause either they have no friends to play with or don't want to deal with a troll random.

The current setup a 2 man sloop is no match for a 3 person brig let alone 4 players on a galley and there really needs to be some balancing done to make the play field abit more even especially for solo and new players. New players really should be grouped together so they learn how to play against one another, not against a sweaty premade legend crew that can easily sink them thats how you don't retain players.

Solo players should have a much faster respawn time and a boost to player and ship hp which will allow them to have a chance to stand up to anyone else on the server. As it stands solo players are penalized for being solo even if its not intentional.

• @darkzero3802 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

The biggest problem with PVP in this game is the community. There really is no friendly encounters within the game and the current respawn system with 0 spawn shield encourages spawn camping.

I've had plenty of friendly encounters. And there is nothing inherently wrong with spawn camping. It's a good way to guarantee a sink or make time to steal supplies. If they're just spawncamping for the sake of it, then yes that can be annoying, but it's not against the rules. Just scuttle.

It is a very toxic way to play and leaves the ship being camped with 0 ways to fight back and save their loot especially when your a solo player. There are quite afew players out there who play solo cause either they have no friends to play with or don't want to deal with a troll random.

This game was made for a crew. Solo is hard mode.

The current setup a 2 man sloop is no match for a 3 person brig let alone 4 players on a galley

A competent duo sloop poses a far greater threat than any brig or gally. A good sloop crew can wipe pretty much anyone. As a duo I've taken down gallies and brigs. It's not hard, you just gotta take some time to learn and improve.

Solo players should have a much faster respawn time and a boost to player and ship hp which will allow them to have a chance to stand up to anyone else on the server. As it stands solo players are penalized for being solo even if its not intentional.

It IS intentional. The game was not designed for solo players.

• I'm going to post this here instead of reviving the thread I originally made. It's honestly been disheartening that I haven't been able to enjoy any PvE events - holiday or world - because nearly every time I try, someone kills me on sight. I haven't even logged in recently, and with IRL stress, I haven't felt up to arguing in the thread I'd made. So. Here goes.

I don't see the issue in PvE servers. Or PvP servers. It'd match players with like-minded players and encourage them to interact with the aspect of the community they prefer. Toxic players can find toxic players. Social players can fine social players. Hell, roleplayers could find roleplayers all the easier. New players would find a more welcoming atmosphere to learn the game in, and they'd be able to make the choice to play on servers where they're more likely to engage in PvP.

People are saying that PvE servers would let everyone go play on those and ruin PvP, but, from what I've seen, there's enough people interested in PvP to keep those servers active. Unless PvPers don't want to engage with each other and instead simply take delight in ruining a PvE-er's day?

@affluent-stew said in Suggestions & Propositions:

I apologize if this gets rambling. I'm not looking to whine, I'm looking to explain the mindset of PvE-focused players and offer suggestions for gameplay adjustments and propositions for consideration.

"Oh, here we go again-"

Yes. I know. You're tired of hearing from new players that PvP makes the game less enjoyable. I agree that there's a risk it adds to the game that can make it enjoyable, however, there comes a point where it's downright frustrating. Where the joy of completing something difficult on one's own is snuffed out and the game is simply closed out of.

"It's called the Sea of THIEVES-"

Yes. I know. Thieves steal stuff, hardy-harr. By the definition of the word ‘thief’, you're implying the stealing is supposed to be done covertly. You know what isn't covert? Mugging. With firebombs. Though I suppose it's covert when they can't see you because you shoot them in the back just after they loaded in?

"It's a game about pirates-"

Which, if you really want to go that route, pirates tended to target naval and merchant ships, not each other. But I know the game isn't trying to be historically accurate, so let's not go that route, okay?

"It's a PvPvE game-"

Yes. I know.

"You just need to git gud-"

Yes. I could. I could treat this like a FromSoft game and be a general jerk. But, you know what? PvP isn't really for me. It's not why I play games like this - I want the story, the adventure. I accept that PvP is part of the game, so I tend to not bother when someone comes up and starts attacking me. I never even draw my weapon. I'll pull out the hurdy gurdy and play a shanty while they do. I also accept that if they're attacking someone that isn't fighting back, they're just an jerk.

"But they don't know, you might be trying to stab them in the back-"

I mean, I guess. But what does it say about the community that folks are paranoid that other players are going to kill them for the funsies?

"Pay more attention then to what's around you-"

Right. I do make an attempt, but, I'm usually playing alone. I also try to believe in the best in people. Playing solo most of the time, I want to believe that not everyone is going to attack me right off - and sometimes, they don't! We play some shanties, gift some treasure or food, and go on our merry ways. I did have some folks chase me down and ask me to kill them so they could get the pink Flame of Fate - and I still felt bad for killing them, but they asked me to, so..?

"Get thicker skin-"

When I sail solo, fine. I accept that I could very easily be killed and sunk. So I make it a personal rule to not pick up anything I'd be upset about losing. I run around the world. Explore. Do Tall Tales. Run Voyages to get my rank up. Fight megalodons. Battle skeleton crews. And if another player kills me? I get back on my ship and head to a different area of the map.

"You’re just salty-"

No, I'm tired and I work retail, I'm sick of fighting with people by noon.

"You're getting PvE servers anyways-"

Yes. I know. I'm going to be jumping at the chance to use one, even if there is no progression. Because I like to explore. It's what I do. I like to jump on my sloop, go across the seas, and see what happens. I know we won’t get rewards for it, but it's something I'm willing to sacrifice because, honestly, what will the rank get me? More cosmetics? Pirate Lord? Maybe I’ll jump on the regular servers to test my luck once in a while, because sometimes I'm a gambler like that - and I do want to rank up to see what other stories there are. But, I also see a few posts about there not being a gold-sink beyond cosmetics, so do I really need to worry about rushing through content and stockpiling a ton of gold..?

Along that vein, however, I don’t understand why PvE servers can’t have some form of progression in terms of rank/loot? It would need to be balanced by appropriate consequences brought on by enemies/player mistakes, of course - losing gold or reputation if dying on a voyage, maybe restarting a Tall Tale if the player dies too many times attempting it, etc. And it could be reduced somewhat, but, the player is still playing the game. Just not in a way that makes PvPers happy.

"Join an alliance-"

Being the socially awkward (and clinically anxious) potato I am, I prefer to play solo rather than join random teams of strangers I've never talked to.

"Then this game isn't for you-"

Except, in theory, it is? "From the very beginning, we've been determined to make Sea of Thieves a truly welcoming world in which players of any creed, culture, age, skill level and circumstance can voyage without fear of friction or frustration." How I decide to play the game could be considered a creed, same as you. We all have valid ways of playing the game (unless your way of playing the game is via cheating or purposefully harassing others beyond what is necessary to obtain loot). The world is welcoming, the players, less so.

"The devs have already said they don't want to change-"

Yea, I know. Folks are fond of pointing out the design philosophy behind Sea of Thieves and how Rare doesn't want to stray from that. I understand that, and I'm not saying anything needs to be outright changed, per se.

"So what's the point of this post?"

To share thoughts and feedback from a fresh player. Because mindsets like mine are why a fair amount of players are likely going to be either trying to play on PvE servers all the time, or outright quit the game. I can't even get some friends to try it, and my husband only bothers to play sometimes when I do.

Whoever is carrying loot is at risk, in theory - and sometimes even when they're not (I've been sunk without so much as a gem on my ship). But, sometimes, you can be attacked, and the PvPers won't even bother with the loot, they're going for the fight. In that scenario, there's no risk for them whether they live or die.

• I would propose a bounty system. Perhaps for every individual killed/ship sunk (perhaps only once per, so one player respawning and dying multiple times won't count to avoid cheesing it overly much), the attacking crew's bounty increases. Maybe just by 3% or so, or maybe more, depending. % of what? Their individual stores of gold. When another crew kills them/sinks their ship, that crew collects and divides the bounty without accumulating a bounty themselves. Perhaps anyone with a bounty on their head spends longer on the Ferry of the Damned before they're able to respawn - or must wait for their entire crew to be killed before respawning (harsh? maybe, but this is supposed to be a risky thing - harsher still would to have it persist between game sessions if it's not cleared). And perhaps the bounty, like the Reaper's chests, show on the map for bounty hunters to find. Perhaps it could even be related to a new faction?

• I would propose, perhaps, a punishment of sorts for those that target Emissaries of the factions. Nothing major - perhaps the faction would refuse to provide payment or voyages to a crew with bounties on their heads until properly 'compensated' - either with no reward being given for turned-in loot, or paying a sort of fine. Perhaps even a reputation increase for the crew that collects the bounty?

• I would propose a... an ability, I suppose I could call it? Perhaps tied to a particular shanty, that when played, reduces/negates damage taken by the player - but only if they themselves have not drawn a weapon within a set timeframe beforehand - and not something short, to avoid overly abusing it, but perhaps two or three minutes? Or have not dealt damage to anyone or anything within, say, five to seven minutes. Perhaps it also protects the ship if literally every crew member is also able to play it (though this may be weighted in favor of solo players, I suppose, so perhaps they're unable to use it to protect their ship) - but while everyone is playing an instrument, they're unable to do anything else.

• I would propose a 'resupply' option at the outposts or trading posts, where, if your ship is below the beginning amount of supplies it would spawn with, you could pay gold to bring your stores up to at least the minimum amount. This could be limited to once per a timeframe (couple hours?)/session to avoid abusing the resupply option to fill supply chests and the like.

• I would propose a sort of... pre-game alliance option, even for PvPvE servers. Considering how certain bosses scale (particularly with Tall Tales), when I’m doing content with friends, it’d be easier for us to do so on a pair of sloops instead of a galleon. But, there’s no guarantee we’d end up on the same server unless there were some way, after setting up crews and before loading in, to form an alliance to tell the game "we want to play on the same world".

(I would also like to propose the ability to keelhaul my husband when he makes terrible puns, but, that's just for my amusement xD)

• @affluent-stew PVPVE adventure is fun because you never know who is over the horizon, what they are doing, or how much loot they have.
    PVE servers will split the player base, all the loot gathering will be done pve side, and all the pvp will be on the pvpve side.
    There will be no mystery in adventure, only farming or a big pointless deathmatch.
    Also world events are designed to be pvp beacons, it's why there are great big clouds above them announcing their presence, and why they reward you with decent amounts of loot for doing them.

• @scarecrow1771 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

Yes. I know. I'm going to be jumping at the chance to use one, even if there is no progression. Because I like to explore. It's what I do. I like to jump on my sloop, go across the seas, and see what happens. I know we won’t get rewards for it, but it's something I'm willing to sacrifice because, honestly, what will the rank get me? More cosmetics? Pirate Lord? Maybe I’ll jump on the regular servers to test my luck once in a while, because sometimes I'm a gambler like that - and I do want to rank up to see what other stories there are. But, I also see a few posts about there not being a gold-sink beyond cosmetics, so do I really need to worry about rushing through content and stockpiling a ton of gold..?

There you go, a balanced choice to either play with or without risk+rewards. Either you play with both or neither, seems reasonable.

• I still don't understand why they would want a pve server. The only way it would work is if it was one ship on the entire server. Otherwise pvp would have to happen how would you fight megs krackens skelly ships ext. So what would your ship be invincible to other ships shooting cannons at you ....logistically it doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm all ears if a pve dude can explain to me how it would work

• @ajm123 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

I still don't understand why they would want a pve server. The only way it would work is if it was one ship on the entire server. Otherwise pvp would have to happen how would you fight megs krackens skelly ships ext. So what would your ship be invincible to other ships shooting cannons at you ....logistically it doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm all ears if a pve dude can explain to me how it would work

There is so many ways in which players could still mess with each other, and to which players would be even more powerless to prevent. What about kegs? What if a ship blocks yours? What if a player hops on your wheel and doesn't let go and you can't remove them? What if players steal a piece of loot and you can't take it back while they laugh in your face? If people thought they were being griefed before, they will have a rude awakening when they realize how creative the real trolls can be.

All kinds of scenarios where PVE advocates reply by:
    "oh the devs just need to implement a rule that does X"
    "Ok but what if players then do Y?"
    "oh well then they need to implement another rule that does Z"

And so on and so forth, until the devs have to implement a bunch of new mechanics and rules just to fix things that weren't broken in the first place (and that will surely not break anything else in the process amirite?).

Best bet is to simply focus on the private server for content creators and communities and tell people to just use those however they wish, whether it's for events, content or to just sail around by oneself without fear of other players and to just PVE. (All of which with no progress of course)

By now, it's not like people don't organise server alliances already, so the whole "PVE server" thing should be considered something already existing and possible, just need to find them or put them together, case closed.

• @bloodybil I'm just a curious fella. They think itll be better but like you said there are many ways to grief or whatever they call it.

I just don't see it working unless it's single player.

But again all ears to someone who can legitimately tell me how it can work.

I guess they could have a vote to kick from lobby system for ships that turn violent or trolly but then what's stopping that from being abused I have little faith it wouldn't

• @affluent-stew You are literally getting PvE servers soon in the form of custom servers.

So i don't understand what the continued fuss is about.

From any PvE advoctae.

PvPvE players have a rock solid argument when they say you shouldn't earn any progress or rewards and rightfully so, as it is undermining and subverting the risk reward element of PvPvE adventure.

Unless of course, all of this fuss about PvE is actually about subverting that element 😉

If it truly isnt, then the discussion is over as your safe space to chill will be here soon.

• PvE servers should not exist in this dojo.
    All you get from it is that most of PvE players will switch to those servers. So you'll have to decide - to play on a server with no pvp at all or play on a regular server where only pvp players are left.
    If all PvE players, friendly players, chilling players and newbies are gone - there will be much less random in-game situations.

• Takes Deep Breathe......

Okay...

I don't know why every single day people come here to complain about PvE or PvP and now there has to be a mega thread about this topic. It's the SAME old song and dance.

This game would NEVER work without PvE or PvP, You just can't have one. The whole vision of Rare for this game was the Unknown of what would happen. That boat on the horizon if they are friends or foe. This game would die if you took the PvP out of the PvE faction. It's bad enough still that there are not proper server merges and sometimes dead servers.

I love this game so much, just everything about. From when I first saw this Trailer from day one, I knew this was going to be the game I play everyday. Now hear me out, I started playing this game on Xbox for just about 6 months before switching to PC when I didn't know ANYTHING about this game. I didn't even know what PvP even what lol , I was your normal player literally questing doing missions just trying to grind and make money. I didn't even know what real PvP was until the Original Skull Forts would pop up every couple hours and have every boat in the Server there fighting over that 13-15 Thousand Gold Pay Day. I LOST SO MANY FIGHTS AND SUNK SO MANY TIMES, and it was a ADRENLINE RUSH. That feeling of coming back trying to fight for it was the best part of this game.

Now being on PC for over a year and a half, being a Sea of Thieves Content Creator focusing mainly on PvP, both sides need one another to make this game work properly. It has to stay PvEvP. It's like Peanut Butter & Jelly! You need both of them! That's like playing Call of Duty without the Guns, the game would not work. That's like playing Fortnite without building, the game would not work. I have no problem what so ever if people strictly want to PvE, that's their choice. If you are going to PvE and Stack Loot, then you better know when to sell or keep your eye out because the best part of this game is NEVER knowing what will happen =)

As far as people pointing fingers at the PvP Community calling us Toxic, Just STOP. Playing this game as intended is NOT Toxic. Sinking your Boat & Stealing your Loot is NOT Toxic. Spawn Camping you as your ship is sinking to ensure the sink while waiting for your boat to finish them off for the loot and supplies, is NOT Toxic. Now what IS TOXIC is Hate Speech, Racism, Threats, Open Lobbies having people set fire to your boat for no reason, throwing loot overboard , ECT.

Sea of Thieves put TOOLS in place that people somehow "Forget to use" when put in situations where they are losing or being verbally attacked, but are the first people to come to these forums because they are offended by the world and quick to call Cheaters, Hackers, Toxic Players. Guess what people, if you are being Spawn Camped and know you are losing, SCUTTLE YOUR BOAT. If people are verbally attacking you in game chat then guess what, MUTE OTHER CREWS. If people keep coming back to attack and sink you then guess what, SWITCH SERVERS! Magical Things can happen when these are applied.

Let's get one thing Straight here... I am so sick of seeing posts on Twitter and Posts on here about this game having a bad name and how this community is Toxic and how "Streamers" ruin this game. Guess What People.... This is called Video Games, and there will be Trash Talkers and Toxic People on EVERY GAME YOU PLAY. The world is filled with Telephone Tough Guys and Keyboard Warriors. Some people have never grew up on Xbox 360 Call of Duty Lobbies and it shows. I am a PvP Streamer, and I am not randomly on peoples boats insulting them and calling them names while I kill them. When I engage a good fight I always tell people "GG" and sometimes they are cool about it and sometimes they Trash Talk after losing a fight but that is how some people deal with coping. Listen... NOBODY likes to Sink or lose Loot, but it's part of the game. Nobody is perfect, WE ALL SINK at times. You re evaluate the situation for next time and move on to the next. People that are Questing and leave their boat completely unattended and then wonder why they got sunk or attacked, who's fault is that??? Then the people who say "Leave me alone, we're just trying to have fun" while they are being attacked, yeah well guess what?? I'm trying to have fun too and you have loot on board and now we're going to fight for it. IT'S PART OF THE GAME.

When I first started this game there was no Tutorials or ANYTHING to help us start out our journey. We was literally thrown to the fire to learn how to be a pirate. The problem is , too many people are being catered to and were fed with a silver spoon. Maybe if people actually took time to learn the game and the mechanics and learned strategies to defend themselves, maybe just maybe they would enjoy the Thrill of PvP a bit more!!!

Sorry for the Rant everyone but come on, enough is enough with the PvE and PvP Debate in this game... It's like a broken record. I am one of the most Humble People you will ever know. I speak the truth and I love this game so much, I just want the best for it with real good content and to keep the PvEvP AS IT. There is good amazing people both on the PvE and PvP Side of this game. Just play and have fun!!!

• @mrbadabing

Do you hop servers for PvP or do you have that unpredictable Adventure you talked about in the beginning of your post?

See the PvP itself is not a problem, but an important aspect.

But people focussing on PvP and using exploits and game the system aka PvP sweats are for sure a problem.

• @affluent-stew said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

Unless PvPers don't want to engage with each other and instead simply take delight in ruining a PvE-er's day?

I've seen way more than enough people posting that they don't want to dig up loot, only steal it, to know that while they aren't all out to ruin a PvE'ers day, the large majority of PvP focused players are also not willing to do the PvE portion of the game but still want loot.

• @mrbadabing said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

The whole vision of Rare for this game was the Unknown of what would happen. That boat on the horizon if they are friends or foe.

The fundamental problem that is making the PvE focused players want PvE servers is that there is no longer an unknown. The answer is, the VAST majority of the time, that boat on the horizon are foes. The game has not done a good enough job balancing incentives between PvP and PvE to make it a question that people have to consider when they see another ship. No, that other ship is not going to help you. They are going to attack you.

• @cptphteven sagte in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@mrbadabing said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

The whole vision of Rare for this game was the Unknown of what would happen. That boat on the horizon if they are friends or foe.

The fundamental problem that is making the PvE focused players want PvE servers is that there is no longer an unknown. The answer is, the VAST majority of the time, that boat on the horizon are foes. The game has not done a good enough job balancing incentives between PvP and PvE to make it a question that people have to consider when they see another ship. No, that other ship is not going to help you. They are going to attack you.

And it happened mainly because of Arena and supporting pvp sweats streaming like this Fortnite guy Summit etc.
    Because of this there are no PvEvP adventure Pirates branching out into all aspects of the game in a fun and balanced way, but to play upon others and show them off etc...

That's what happened and that is the only cause we even talk about pve and pvp players when we should be all PvEvP adventure pirates having an unpredictable adventure, instead of exploiting this and that to get control over things that arent meant to be in control of players.
    For example an active FotD to ambush or a special event to farm or a server with emissary ships or a server without any Reaper emissary etc... etc...

And there are alliance server creators to blame like PvP hoppers.
    But the difference is :
    Alliance server at best influence others indirect while pvp hoppers influence other players directly.

No matter if it is PvE or PvP only players hopping servers.
    Both playstyles harm the game and Community.
    It's time to disallow it to have PvEvP adventure pirates play and not any of these extreme sweats, no matter PvE or PvP.
    Take it away and lose 50% of your players.
    Still 7.5 Millions left playing regularily and like intended.

• @stundorn said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@cptphteven sagte in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

@mrbadabing said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

And it happened mainly because of Arena and supporting pvp sweats streaming like this Fortnite guy Summit etc.
    Because of this there are no PvEvP adventure Pirates branching out into all aspects of the game in a fun and balanced way, but to play upon others and show them off etc...

That's what happened and that is the only cause we even talk about pve and pvp players when we should be all PvEvP adventure pirates having an unpredictable adventure, instead of exploiting this and that to get control over things that arent meant to be in control of players.
    For example an active FotD to ambush or a special event to farm or a server with emissary ships or a server without any Reaper emissary etc... etc...

And there are alliance server creators to blame like PvP hoppers.
    But the difference is :
    Alliance server at best influence others indirect while pvp hoppers influence other players directly.

No matter if it is PvE or PvP only players hopping servers.
    Both playstyles harm the game and Community.
    It's time to disallow it to have PvEvP adventure pirates play and not any of these extreme sweats, no matter PvE or PvP.
    Take it away and lose 50% of your players.
    Still 7.5 Millions left playing regularily and like intended.

Steam typically has bout 10K active users at any time. Being generouse, assume double that on Xbox / MS store. That's about 30K plaeyrs at once, not 7.5 million, but I get the point.

Honestly, the biggest problem is Rare's partnership deals with streamers focuses the attention on a single playstyle. It's 100% within Rare's power to say "Our Streamer Partner program requires players to play in the way we want to encourage, and we won't partner with players who play in other ways even if those other wasy are not in violation of ToS"

• @cptphteven 7.5 was based on the Website telling me there is 15m players.

To me it is like this.
    You can PvE or PvP only, but the game should in no way support it as it harms the overall playerexperience. There should be no ways to circumvent what is initially setup and designed.
    And that is not guaranteed an active FotD to set an ambush, that is not the event you wanna farm is active neccessarily, that is not that there is a golden chicken journey at the merchant, that is not guaranteed Ramsey has a non DR Athena mission today etc... etc...
    Things are random for reasons.
    But pvp only players can hop servers to constantly find prey.
    That is not intended as it is not intended to do an event and be safe for sure and not get attacked for sure, that is not there is an emissary or there is no Reapers.
    In primetimes the uncertainty is gone, because of server hoppers.
    And because people can do it they say hopping servers to tuck and wage war all the time is legit.
    It is legit if you accept what your session has for you.
    It is not if you hop sessions again and again until you have what you want.
    See PvPers would have to deal with the ships they find or dont find.
    If people are stuck to their session, there will also the possibility the ones who get attacked by one aggressive crew make an alliance against them etc...
    But today it's only hop server.
    Hop server to find what you want or hop server to get away from what you dont want, instead to deal with what is there.

It gives players a tool to endlessly setup a session and force playstyles that are unintended and not random or unpredictable and uncertain.

Do a FotD and try to get not attacked during primetimes.
    This is only because of serverhopping. If it wouldnt be possible you would still have a good chance to be attacked, but there would be a much greater chance to be not attacked if it were not possible to hop for it.

And with giving PvP sweats a legit way to exploit the experience Rare invited jerks like Summit to make his overly toxic playstyle popular.
    Like Tuccing for example.
    If people were stuck in their servers they would get tired of it.
    All these playstyle only work because of Serverhopping.
    They literally want Arena in Adventure mode.
    Instant Action in a mode designed for unpredictable adventures.
    And that is the problem.
    Because people expect no instant action pvp sweats here, because it should be way too boring and take too long to find the action and the prey.
    But with the possibility of hopping servers and having that Arena mindset there was an imbalance created.

• Again no pve server supporter has answered the question.

How does a pve server work if it's not a single player mode?

• @ajm123 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

Again no pve server supporter has answered the question.

Nobody has answered because "how to make it work" isn't really relevant to the question until you agree that it should be implemented. The game already tracks who digs up treasure - it wouldn't be too hard to flag it so that crew always gets the reward when it's sold. "but how would you stop people from PvPing anyway" - the same way you stop griefers in every other game in existence. Ban them for breaking the rules.

• @cptphteven lol ignorance is bliss.

To say you wanna ban them for breaking the rules you do realize how people work right. The second you tell people you can't do something they figure out a way to do it.

The only way personally I can see it work is single player mode or single ship mode.

@ajm123 said in [Mega Thread] PvP and PvE Playstyle Discussion:

Again no pve server supporter has answered the question.

Nobody has answered because "how to make it work" isn't really relevant to the question until you agree that it should be implemented. The game already tracks who digs up treasure - it wouldn't be too hard to flag it so that crew always gets the reward when it's sold. "but how would you stop people from PvPing anyway" - the same way you stop griefers in every other game in existence. Ban them for breaking the rules.

So what if the thieves don't sell...

If a non-adventure server ever would be created, I doubt everyone who wants a PvE-server will be happy with the way Rare implements it. 90% (number I just made up but I suspect very accurate) of these will still complain.

• This is why the PvE advocates don't answer your question - you're just using it as a red herring to distract from the issue they want.

You've hit the nail on the head in my opinion. I don't think there's enough balance between friendly and hostile encounters. Simply because there's no reason to team up. Don't get me wrong, I love a good naval battle as much as the next guy, but there's no real reason to team up. You get a little bit more gold and rep from alliances and that's about it. There should be more things that require teaming up. World events so powerful that it would be unreasonable to attempt it as only one crew. Alliance specific quests that require two crews. Just things to encourage teaming up. Right now I'd say it's like 80% hostile 20% friendly. I'd like to see that change to 60% 40%.

Views
105 out of 5293